• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The stock sights on an A2 style have been 100% reilable and have proven capable of shooting with great accuracy. I do understand that they completely lack any pazzaz or wow factor.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Love the sights on my A2 upper.
    The sights on AR's, Garands, M1A (M14) are so similar, M1and M1a's are the same, that going from one rifle to another is a piece of cake.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It depends on how your AR is configured. If it's a no-optic M4 clone the standard A2 front and rear carry handle are robust. If its a flat top with an optic the flip-ups are nice, but not necessary.

Stick with a quality manufacturer, don't go too cheap.

I like the Troy flip-ups and DD fixed myself.

1242758_01_troy_flip_up_sights_fde_hk_640.jpg

XDD09116.jpg

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I conduct a lot of known distance events and see a lot if folks bring ARs out. It's common, I would even go so far as to say it happens 80% of the time, that a person brings a sight system they have no idea how to use before the event.

They don't know which direction to turn which knob to get which effect.
    They don't know what the moa value of the clicks are.
    They have never read the manual for the sight system but (insert ninja name) on ARFCOM said this was the best sight out there.
    They don't know how high the sights sit above the bore.

Experience in the field has indicated a few things.
    1. A2 sights are very precise, rugged, and easy to use.
    2. Front Sight Towers mounted to barrels are better than sights mounted to rails. Rail mounted sights fluctuate when shot from a bench versus a bipod versus a sling versus no support.
    3. A sight that does not have range indexing like the 6/3 or 8/3 on A2s or the presets on a Matech require far more situational awareness than most folks show.
    4. If a person does not understand the trajectory of their round to some extent no piece of gear in the verse is going to help.

Stay simple. Don't over think it. Start with A2s.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was going to put MagPul flip ups on mine, but they're plastic....can't mount to the gas block. I went with Midwest Industries.

Application requirements plus personal preference = good purchase.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Are you certain you can't mount the plastic magpul to a gas block?

I ask ask because the more buis I see the more I see aluminum sights that bend when dropped and cannot be rezeroed. I have gotten to a place where a student having trouble zeroing buis automatically gets their towers inspected for abrasions scuff dents and whatnot that mat indicate being dropped or banged hat against something. A plastic buis assembly will take a dropping but a metal one won't. This is another advantage of the traditional A2 fs tower. It's very rugged and can take more of a dropping than buis will

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Juat picked up my first AR that came with flip upa. I'd prefer a fixed A2 front sight just because I'm wierd like that. Not an optics guy really.But these sights (make unknown) seem decent enough for what I need.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis

I ask ask because the more buis I see the more I see aluminum sights that bend when dropped and cannot be rezeroed. I have gotten to a place where a student having trouble zeroing buis automatically gets their towers inspected for abrasions scuff dents and whatnot that mat indicate being dropped or banged hat against something. A plastic buis assembly will take a dropping but a metal one won't. This is another advantage of the traditional A2 fs tower. It's very rugged and can take more of a dropping than buis will
    I'm not certain because I've never done it. MagPul says not to.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

True, Magpul MBUS sights will not deform after being dropped like metal sights (even the revered Troy sights fail in this regard) but Magpul specifies not to use their front sight on a railed gas block because of the heat. Magpul Pro, however, are metal and would be GTG. Gotta choose your battles.

Top Bottom