• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I got a 16" midlength heavy barrel delton kit last december, and I think its a great kit. I'll be honest, I don't know much about AR's and what makes one better then another, but the rifle I have has been 100% reliabe through 400 rds. Its accurate out to 100 yds with the detachable carry handle I have on it. The LPK went together nicely... well, everything except for the pivot pin detent(what a PITA!), but I don't think that has anything to do with the parts, just my fat fingers and limited patience

Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with a delton.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Here's my Palmetto State armory build- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...15_and_m_16_show_and_tell-31.html#post2116781

Upper- $430
    lower w/ transfer- $95
    lower build kit- $140
    Magpul MBUS- $50
    P-mags- $25
    ASAP sling plate- $25

Total $765

If you can find me a quality rifle with all Magpul furniture, a sling plate, BUIS, and 2 mags for that price, I would be shocked.:)

I would definitely recommend PSA for an AR build.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I scored my upper from PSA with their fathers day sale 386$ plus 15$ shipping :rockwoot:
    My lower is PSA from a friend with a ffl 75$ out the door:rockwoot:

lower parts kit and stock also from PSA 100$ I dont re call the shipping amout on this but it wasnt bad at all :yesway:
    Total build less than 600$:)

The nikon M223 scope upped the price a little as did the rings, but still well under a grand for a sharp looking rifle that is fun and accurate to shoot.

I picked up the M223 from amazon for 186$ shipped.

Only complaint is I wish PSA still sold the YOU LIE recievers!

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am also planning a Ar build.

My plan so far is order a spike tactical lower from Aim surplus when they get back in stock and this for my upper

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Standard Rifle Kit

I want to get all the stuff in one kit so I know I have everything and it will all work together for my first one. After I have done it I would be more willing to mix and match a lot more.

Then I need to order some sights, thinking ebay and some mags. Should come in just under $700 is my guess

Good luck on yours

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I agree.

Hell, I've seen mp15's on slickdeals (I think) for something like 570, and I still decided to build my own.

Plus, if you build your own, if, in some unfortunate circumstance, it screws up, identification of, and fixing, said problem just became a lot easier.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I agree.

Hell, I've seen mp15's on slickdeals (I think) for something like 570, and I still decided to build my own.

Plus, if you build your own, if, in some unfortunate circumstance, it screws up, identification of, and fixing, said problem just became a lot easier.

Plus you can be like "i built this MFer right here" :D

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I checked 21st century and they have dmps for $650 and Olympic for $600. That is less then I can build it for.

For $650-$700 you can build a PSA that is a much better gun than either Oly or DPMS. Labor Day weekend, the rumor is that PSA is going to offer $49 lowers again. The PSA that I posted earlier in this thread I have about $710 in including transfer fees on the lower.

At current prices, consider this.

Stainless mid build kit ... $499
    Palmetto State Armory 16'' SS Mid-length Rifle Kit

Lower ... $79.95 (soon to go on sale for $49)
    PSA AR15 Lower

Magpul Rear BUIS ... $55.05 (can find them for less on ebay)
    Magpul Gen 2 Rear MBUS

Shipping ... $20 ish

Add in a transfer fee of $25 and you have a complete AR for a max $675 ($650 is doable too) that is far and away better quality than an Oly or DPMS.

I own an Oly and there is nothing wrong with it, but set it side by side with my PSA and there is an obvious difference in fit and finish. The PSA just feels and shoots so much nicer.

Heck, I think I just talked myself into ordering another PSA!:ar15:

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For $650-$700 you can build a PSA that is a much better gun than either Oly or DPMS. Labor Day weekend, the rumor is that PSA is going to offer $49 lowers again. The PSA that I posted earlier in this thread I have about $710 in including transfer fees on the lower.

At current prices, consider this.

Stainless mid build kit ... $499
    Palmetto State Armory 16'' SS Mid-length Rifle Kit

Lower ... $79.95 (soon to go on sale for $49)
    PSA AR15 Lower

Magpul Rear BUIS ... $55.05 (can find them for less on ebay)
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/1947.php

Shipping ... $20 ish

Add in a transfer fee of $25 and you have a complete AR for a max $675 ($650 is doable too) that is far and away better quality than an Oly or DPMS.

I own an Oly and there is nothing wrong with it, but set it side by side with my PSA and there is an obvious difference in fit and finish. The PSA just feels and shoots so much nicer.

That is a pretty good deal. I was thinking about the talk I had with the sales man. I don't know his name but looking back I noticed a few things that I didn't catch at first.

He suggested the Oly would be best for me, it had the solid stock, carry handle, A1 style sights, and a A1 style receiver that the handle was made on to it. After I told him all those things for things I don't want, he said I could just upgrade later.

The DMPS didn't have a forward assist. Now I know I won't really need that it is still cool to have. When I asked about the barrel he said any time you line a barrel with chrome your accuracy goes down. I thought that was opposite from what I have read on the forums.

He had a good sales pitch but not sure he was putting me in the right gun for me.

And as far as building it I know one shop will put it together for me for $25 but guessing I can find some INGO members that will help

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Here is the deal. You can build the EXACT gun you want these days for the same amount or less than what you can buy a gun that might not be exactly how you want it off the shelf. If you don't have the desire to build, then that is cool and there are plenty of good off the shelf guns out there. But if you are the least bit mechanically inclined, assembling a lower is a piece of cake and only takes some pretty basic tools. Between youtube, forums, and other online sources, there are so many how to references that it is easy. Building the upper is a little more tool intensive, but still very doable if you have the desire. There are so many quality built uppers out there in so many configurations that you can generally find something to suit your needs.

I found that building my PSA was very rewarding and I got a better gun than what I would have for the same money had I bought off the shelf. I'm currently in the middle of a coyote gun build right now. Just waiting on an upper to come in. Then I'm off to building an SBR. It is addicting!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Here's how I built my AR for $475.
    I had a local FFL order a striped Delaware Mach. lower from RGuns(I think that's who has them). I bought all parts through this same guy.
    Striped lower $60
    Used A2 stock $20
    LPK $50
    Used Upper$250 (appears to be shot very little and from what markings i can find Colt)
    BCG $90
    All prices are after tax, My point is do a little shopping around, check the local shops for used parts, most guys will deal with you if your buying a lot of stuff at one time.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Great feedback everyone. Cheaper stripped lowers at 1500?

If I can find a good one for under $99 I am going to get one or 2. I would like to get a Spikes this time as everyone seems to really like them. I got at DPMS for $89 last summer at the show and would buy that one again.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Del-Ton has rifle kits right now for $465. I bought one on black friday last year for something like 15% off.

I bought the 20" kit and it seems to be just fine.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Great feedback everyone. Cheaper stripped lowers at 1500?

If I can find a good one for under $99 I am going to get one or 2. I would like to get a Spikes this time as everyone seems to really like them. I got at DPMS for $89 last summer at the show and would buy that one again.

I can't remember who it was, but someone had Spike's stripped lowers for $99 at the show.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Yep DPMS...upper & lowers fit tight ,who wants an 'accu-wedge' & when I fire it ,no spring noise[ BOOOWWWWWINGWINGWING] like a Colt 'match' with lots of play between upper/lower.

Top Bottom