• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just depends on if you like to spend money. The billet will cost you more. An the billiet looks nicer. But really does nothing any better than the forged But I personaly would not spend the money for the billet lower.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Billet is stronger but also heavier and more expensive. I own different brands of both and don't really have a preference on which one I like best.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Billet is stronger but also heavier and more expensive. I own different brands of both and don't really have a preference on which one I like best.

I would disagree that billet is stronger then a forging. If it's stronger then it's much heavier and has a significant amount of more material (making it much heavier).

The general consensus is that billet can be more accurate, since it's 100% machined and precise. However, it's unlikely that most any shooter is going to be more accurate then his lower anyway. Billet is also more customizable since it's cut out to your liking as a manufacturer. Starts as a block of aluminum and ends up however you cut it.

Forged is molten aluminum that (for lack of better description) is pounded into a shape, think of a blacksmith forging a sword. That shape is a blank lower that is machined to your shape. The forged metal is going to be significantly stronger.

Having said both of those though, you'll be fine either way, regular use probably isn't going to break either.

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    I'm asking because I'm looking into getting a Spikes Lower. The Billet lower looks Freakin' Sweet! I just didnt know whether or not the billet had any advantages over the forged. I dont think I can go wrong either way. Thanks for all the info.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Wow, Thanks for the rep.
    I haven't engraved it yet. Hopefully I'll get back to it when the snow flies. We read a "how to" on AR-15 where they took vinyl material and made a stencil then etched the aluminum instead of engraving. When I get-r-done I'll post an update.

Top Bottom