• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hey guys and gals! As of Wednesday, I will be the proud new owner of a Stag Arms Model 3L. I've been shooting rifles my whole life, but I've never owned a rifle of this caliber, so I'm kind a noob, please bear with me if I ask some dumb questions. To start, I paid $825 for the rifle brand new from a local store (before tax, $887 after). Was that reasonable? Also, did I make a good choice going with Stag? I've heard a lot of good and bad things about them, but being a lefty, I was under the impression they were really my only choice.

Given the model of my gun, it does not come with iron sights. I plan to put a NC Star scope on it and did not want a fixed front sight, but still like the idea of iron sights. This means I would have to get flip up sights. I've been browsing sights online and have noticed how they range in price from $30-$150+. How can something as fairly simple as that have such a huge price range? Is there really a huge difference in performance? Without breaking the bank, are there any recommendations for flip up sights for primarily CQB or do I really need to spend top dollar?

Also, I learned AR's with a barrel stamped "5.56" can shoot both 5.56 and .223, but a barrel stamped ".223" can only shoot .223 safely. With this being said, what kind of difference in performance will I see between the 2 rounds? And even though a 5.56 barrel can also handle .223 rounds are there any issues with using .223?

Finally, I know the work/skills required to clean rifles and handguns, but what should I expect with the AR? It is difficult to take down and clean? If anyone knows of any great cleaning tutorials online, a link would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance everyone!
    John:patriot:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Good choice with the Stag. I'm very happy with mine. Your price sounds about right. My advice is to spend a little money on your iron sights. You definitely get what you pay for. I went with YHM and they are fine.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The YHM ones I just looked at were $179. That just seems crazy! I mean I only paid $250 for my compact NC Star 3-9x illuminated, mildot, rubberized, and built in laser. How can something so much simpler be almost as expensive?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Good quality brings a higher price. A detachable back up iron sight needs to be machined perfect to ensure proper fit and deployment.

If you get your 50 quality posts in or pay your site supporter fees you can find some on here for a decent price.:ingo:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There are several videos on "youtube" on breaking down an AR. My favorite is the 13 year old girl disassembling it and putting it back together in 43 seconds. Yes way.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The Magpul BUIS front & rear are great and more affordable than Yankee Hill, although I suspect the Yankee Hill would take alot more abuse. You can usually find the rear MBUS for 40-50 and the front for 30-40. 21st Century in Bluffton and Ranger Supply in Fort Wayne keep them in stock I believe.
    You get what you pay for when it comes to AR optics.

BTW Goober, the Model 3L is a left hand model, you are a lefty?

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    I've heard good things about the stag, I've never owned one, but have handled some and fired one. The one I fired did what it was supposed to do. As far as optics and iron sights, I would say a lot depends on what you will be doing with it. I have an NcStar variable power Mk 3 series that has actually proven to be a great scope. The glass was not the clearest I've seen, had a slight blue tint to it, but for $125 bucks with a flat top qr mount and dual colored illuminated reticles and "range drop compensator" (not a true rdc but fairly close, fine for plinking). If you're a major league door kicker, I'd recommend spending more on something more reliable, but if its to plink around with, I'd say you did alright. OTIS makes a great cleaning kit for ar-15's they have a couple types in different price ranges they come with everything you'll need plus a DVD on how to clean your AR. In basic training we had M-16 cleaning mats (idiot rags) that had a ghost outline of all the broken-down components with the names labled, might be worth looking into. good luck!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    It sounds like you did pretty good. Stag is generally considered a step below the top tier black rifles like Colt/Noveske/LaRue/etc. but they are plenty good enough for civilian and most LE types. Stag is also closely tied to Rock River and Smith & Wesson, both well respected names in the "evil-black-rifle" world. The price you paid is a little better than what I paid for my Model 2.

Like others have said you get what you pay for and iron sights are no exception. High end sights like Troy or Midwest are very nice and worth the money if you have it but most of us civilians will probably be just as well served by a set of Magpul or even UTG sights. Just make sure you get the proper front sight height! Anything that says low-profile is meant to be mounted on the forearm rail and will sit too low if attached to the gas block.

You are correct about the barrels. Yours should be 5.56mm so you can shoot either that or .223 Remington. The 5.56 stuff is typically a little hotter but that isn't always the case. Good 223 ammo is often better than cheap 5.56. You'll have to find what works best for you.

Finally cleaning the rifle is a breeze. You-Tube will have plenty of good explanations of how to take down and clean the rifle. This is a military design intended to to be maintained and cleaned in the field by even the "least sophisticated" individual so it's not rocket science.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Given the model of my gun, it does not come with iron sights. I plan to put a NC Star scope on it and did not want a fixed front sight, but still like the idea of iron sights. This means I would have to get flip up sights. I've been browsing sights online and have noticed how they range in price from $30-$150+. How can something as fairly simple as that have such a huge price range? Is there really a huge difference in performance? Without breaking the bank, are there any recommendations for flip up sights for primarily CQB or do I really need to spend top dollar?

If you want some sights as a cheap afterthought, can always get the plastic magpul BUIS. I'd really reconsider on the NC star scope... read through this.

How are they(backup sights) in the $150 range? Quality. You'll discover shortly with accessories for these guns, there's two classes of parts. There's "hobby" parts, which cover most of the lowend and made in china stuff, then there's "duty" parts which you'll typically see from name brands with a hefty price tag. Until you've had some experience with both it won't be instantly obvious why two parts that look the same have such a massive price difference.

With optics this issue becomes many times more apparent. You may faint at the sight of the price tag on some of the typical scopes used on these rifles. If you've ever bought camera lenses, or a telescope before, this won't be nearly as much of a surprise. But you also have to remember, unlike those, these optics must be built to survive lots of abuse and handle the constant recoil impulses, making them cost even more. Think of an NC star scope as a disposable camera, and your typical scope as a basic SLR.

The next rule of rifle scopes is pay more, and buy less. It's much easier and cheaper for a company to build a low magnification fixed power scope, than it is for them to build some massive 4-16x variable. When you see some variable power scope like that for $150-300, it should be an obvious red flag to walk the other way. Kind of like finding a newer corvette on a used car lot for $5000.

I actually wouldn't worry about the scope for now, and I would focus on getting the best irons possible. Later when money allows and you've done your homework and found what you need, then spring for one and don't forget that the scope is only as good as its mount. I'm using troy BUIS currently and like them fairly well, albeit they obviously are just backup sights and aren't nearly as nice as standard fixed sights.

Buy once, cry once.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    FYI the Magpul MBUS should not be mounted to a railed gas block like on the Stag 3L and the height would be off anyway.

Whats the reason for this?

I have both front and rear mbus sights on my dpms. I havent got to shoot my rifle yet to see how they work.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Whats the reason for this?

I have both front and rear mbus sights on my dpms. I havent got to shoot my rifle yet to see how they work.

Its because if you mount the front sight on a railed gas block they will not line up. The rail on a gas block sits lower than where you mount your rear sight.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I did notice that but didnt know that was a problem.

I like the fixed front sight any how and plan to change it anyway.

, thanks

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Go to Brownells (spelling)? site, They have a lot of good tutorial videos on assembly and cleaning of AR's. Also they have enough aftermarket parts to drain your savings accounts and max out your credit cards.:ar15:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    To the OP congrats on your Stag and welcome to INGO.

The Stag will serve you well.

I suggest you do some research before making any further add on purchases for it though. Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason, and the stuff that costs more, costs more for a reason. Buy once, cry once.

Top Bottom