• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what are the laws concerning AR-15 pistols? I usually buy stripped lowers and a "kit", which includes the complete upper and parts for the lower (both have been rifle builds, and are great ). I have never done a pistol build, though, and was wondering what I need to be aware of. Basically, I want to avoid accidentally making an SBR (and getting my butt in trouble).

When I buy the stripped lower do I need to clarify it as a "pistol"? I've read that no longer applies on the new 4473 form, and that the lower is now classified as a "firearm" or a "receiver"? And, that if I buy the stripped lower considered a pistol lower I can then put a rifle upper on it any time I want, then revert back to a pistol upper anytime I want? 2011-4?

As long as the "pistol" configuration does not exceed 26" OAL (including buffer tube), and there is not a second-forward pistol grip on the fore-end, and there is not butt-stock on the weapon I think I'm good.

Oh, and do I need to somehow prove that my stripped-lower-pistol-build-only-has-never-touched-a-rifle-upper thing apply? Jeez!

Help appreciated.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The 4473 should be marked as a receiver and "other" since it is technically neither a pistol or rifle if you bought it entirely stripped.

If you start as a pistol you can switch to rifle but not vice versa.

Correct, no vertical grip or its considered a 2 handed weapon and not a pistol.

If you feel its necessary, take a dated pic of your completed build

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAIkT8XaAtA&feature=share&list=UUE9P50fJMTIUiNtDWBifY3g[/ame]

Top Bottom