AR 15 Pistols? Help me understand the hype/expense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    A couple of points or questions. I understand with the Sig brace and other things currently under production, the ability to have an SBR for cheaper than the real thing. The "knack" of another version of AR. Here are my points. First why are they commanding premium dollars? I scan a lot of sights daily like lots of people. I see a pistol can can be bought for around $600 on the low side, to as fancy as can be accessorized with the price increasing with add-ons. Is this another .22 ammo type issue. Seems to be plenty of supplies for the demand. I also understand getting what you pay for in certain cases. I have seen some decent prices on here. Just some items for thought. I would also like to get lots of info before making the jump into one myself. Thank you for any and all opinions or thoughts!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A couple of points or questions. I understand with the Sig brace and other things currently under production, the ability to have an SBR for cheaper than the real thing. The "knack" of another version of AR. Here are my points. First why are they commanding premium dollars? I scan a lot of sights daily like lots of people. I see a pistol can can be bought for around $600 on the low side, to as fancy as can be accessorized with the price increasing with add-ons. Is this another .22 ammo type issue. Seems to be plenty of supplies for the demand. I also understand getting what you pay for in certain cases. I have seen some decent prices on here. Just some items for thought. I would also like to get lots of info before making the jump into one myself. Thank you for any and all opinions or thoughts!

ARs, be it a pistol, rifle, SBR, not all are created equal. There are some for $600, others for $2000

You can build ARs cheap, you can build them expensive.

About the only thing with pistols is if you go with a 10.5" barrel, sometimes finding a good barrel takes forever (lots of people building pistols now thanks to the PSB).

The PSB isn't actually SBR for cheaper, you're saving a whopping $80-$60, it's a convenience thing for traveling across state lines and don't have to get things engraved or registered.

Not counting optics or BUIS, and if I remember right, my pistol cost roughly $1650 for me to build

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

The statement in BOLD is false. The Sig Brace does not make an AR pistol an SBR according to the law. It is still a pistol. Yes, there are a lot of people that are reading between the lines and seeing it as a way to shoulder fire an AR pistol without having to pay for the $200 tax stamp for an actual SBR.

I think we all need to be VERY clear here that the Sig Brace is not some sort of loop hole or short cut. An SBR still requires ATFE approval and tax stamp. Mis-using the SIG brace as a stock is no different than shouldering an AR pistol that just has a pistol reciever extension (aka "Buffer tube.").

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The ability to have something like an SBR, without the regulations of an SBR. Your lower is registered is a pistol instead of a rifle and magically the ATF doesn't view it as an SBR because it can't have a rifle stock.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am considering building one of these. I'd like to hear from some folks who actually shoot, practice, train with one. Pro's/cons?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Just from working at an indoor range, I know the sub 16" barrels are freakin' loud! But, I'm working on a 10.5" pistol build, just because....

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Just from working at an indoor range, I know the sub 16" barrels are freakin' loud! But, I'm working on a 10.5" pistol build, just because....

YES! I had an AR pistol several years ago, long before the brace. I'm talking like 10 years ago. It was a Bushmaster with a 7 inch barrel. It was very loud, and not accurate at all. I personaly do not see the draw to them. I would much rather have a side folding AK, or an under folding AK and have a full length battle rifle as opposed to an AR pistol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The statement in BOLD is false. The Sig Brace does not make an AR pistol an SBR according to the law. It is still a pistol. Yes, there are a lot of people that are reading between the lines and seeing it as a way to shoulder fire an AR pistol without having to pay for the $200 tax stamp for an actual SBR.

I think we all need to be VERY clear here that the Sig Brace is not some sort of loop hole or short cut. An SBR still requires ATFE approval and tax stamp. Mis-using the SIG brace as a stock is no different than shouldering an AR pistol that just has a pistol receiver extension (aka "Buffer tube.").

The ATF makes no distinction on weapon classification based on their actual vs intended uses. The only thing they look at is how the product was designed to be used. The Sig brace is designed as a wrist brace not a stock therefore it counts and is legal. They don't care how you use it whether as a wrist brace or as a shouldered stock.

ATF Response on Firing AR-15 Pistols from the Shoulder with SIG Sauer Pistol Brace | Guns & Ammo

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The ATF makes no distinction on weapon classification based on their actual vs intended uses. The only thing they look at is how the product was designed to be used. The Sig brace is designed as a wrist brace not a stock therefore it counts and is legal. They don't care how you use it whether as a wrist brace or as a shouldered stock.

ATF Response on Firing AR-15 Pistols from the Shoulder with SIG Sauer Pistol Brace | Guns & Ammo

Exactly my point. As a gun owning community I think we owe it to ourselves to make sure that we don't spread innacurate information that the Sig Brace is some sort of magic "loophole" (to use the Anti-Gunner buzz word) to get around SBR regulations. It is an arm brace...and if people decide to use it otherwise, it doesn't reclassify the weapon in any way.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis

I think we all need to be VERY clear here that the Sig Brace is not some sort of loop hole or short cut. An SBR still requires ATFE approval and tax stamp. Mis-using the SIG brace as a stock is no different than shouldering an AR pistol that just has a pistol reciever extension (aka "Buffer tube.").

Everyone needs to read the above post. I just picked up my PM400 with SBR last Friday. Used as intended, it's a pistol, both functionally and legally. At about $1000, these are wonderful guns and the overwhelming demand will keep the price from dropping. SIG literally can't build these fast-enough.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am considering building one of these. I'd like to hear from some folks who actually shoot, practice, train with one. Pro's/cons?
    I have a 10.5 DD MK18 build with the Sig brace, and out to about 100 it is very accurate. It handles faster than any other rifle I own, and is a damn sight better than all my pistols. Is it louder, yup, but I didn't build it for the indoor ranges, it's my 8!+(h gun! It goes in the car, or the truck, and is there if I need or want it. Admittedly, I haven't taken a carbine course with it, but at my normal go to range, I've blasted through 3-400 rounds in a day without fail. The short AR's are more finicky than others, but if done correctly, with QUALITY parts, they can be GTG. I would venture to say, that if you start a thread in the rifle or pistol section stating "what can I do to make my $600 AR pistol build work", it isn't going to happen the same as some say you can do with a rifle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't expect a 10.5" to be a tackdriver, but if I can make consistent COM hits at 50 yards, I'll be happy.

I have a 10.5 DD MK18 build with the Sig brace, and out to about 100 it is very accurate. It handles faster than any other rifle I own, and is a damn sight better than all my pistols...

So what is the weak link on short barreled .556 accuracy? Is it inherently inaccurate or less forgiving due to the short platform?

Top Bottom