• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Much of the ammo available today works well in a 1:9 twist barrel, up to 69 gr match ammo. Anything heavier than that will still go bang but will print a larger pattern over the torso at ranges further than 50 yards. Home defense: no problem.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Doing my first build. General purpose...home defense/range gun, maybe varmint. I am worried about twist rate. This barrel > Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid Length Light Weight Barrel is everything that I want, except 1 in 7. I gather from my reading that a 1 in 7 is what I want. Will I be happy with a 1 in 9? Suggestions and vast wisdom will me much appreciated.
    What about one in seven is it that you want? It really only exists in carbines because of the military tracer rounds long projectile length.

The necessary twist rate is really determined by length of projectile, not actually by weight. Both green tip and tracer rounds are long for their weight because they are not solid lead projectiles.

Unless you are wanting to shoot a lot of tracers or 70+ grain bullets, one in nine should be just fine.

Last edited:

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    What about one in seven is it that you want? It really only exists in carbines because of the military tracer rounds long projectile length.

The necessary twist rate is really determined by length of projectile, not actually by weight. Both green tip and tracer rounds are long for their weight because they are not solid lead projectiles.

Unless you are wanting to shoot a lot of tracers or 70+ grain bullets, one in nine should be just fine.

No tracers. I just understood that 1:7 was the best for all weights. Thanks for the replies guys.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

The USMC had some input into this for their KD range qualifications back in the early 80s.

OP. If you are wanting to try the heavies, then stick with a 1:7 or 8. Other common fodder will work just fine in the 1:9, and it might push the heavies as well, but from personal experience that is exactly a 1 in 3 chance.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of the varmint hunters like a lower grain ballistic tip type projectile? For what you're talking about doing with this rifle, you may not be running the heavier bullets. Looks like 1:9 is actually what you want. Plinking ammo will be great in 1:9, and at HD ranges, anything will be fine.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of the varmint hunters like a lower grain ballistic tip type projectile? For what you're talking about doing with this rifle, you may not be running the heavier bullets. Looks like 1:9 is actually what you want. Plinking ammo will be great in 1:9, and at HD ranges, anything will be fine.
    If they are wanting to save fur by not exiting, yes. The light fragile bullets make this sometimes possible. I've never had much use for a bullet over 70 grains in 223/556. If I want to shoot at ranges beyond 300 yds, I pick a different chambering.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Doing my first build. General purpose...home defense/range gun, maybe varmint. I am worried about twist rate. This barrel > Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid Length Light Weight Barrel is everything that I want, except 1 in 7. I gather from my reading that a 1 in 7 is what I want. Will I be happy with a 1 in 9? Suggestions and vast wisdom will me much appreciated.

Are you sure that is the barrel you want? It is better suited for an M4 style rifle rather than a varmit style rifle IMO.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Now I am just being a butt and hi-jacking my own thread. This seems to be a better barrel > 16" 5.56 Government Profile Mid-Length CMV Barrel | Ballistic Advantage With shipping it is only $44 more. Also, is it weird that I am in love with the A2 front sights. Thoughts?

I just put one of these on an upper and I love I and they guarantee 1/2 MOA....very similar what you posted but a better barrel and includes gas block. Unfortunately,no front sight post though..... We currently carry this in 16 and 14.5 inch.
    http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-625-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I just put one of these on an upper and I love I and they guarantee 1/2 MOA....very similar what you posted but a better barrel and includes gas block. Unfortunately,no front sight post though..... We currently carry this in 16 and 14.5 inch.
    16" .223 Wylde .625 Hanson Series Stainless Steel Barrel | Ballistic Advantage, LLC
    They guarantee sub moa, not 1/2. Consistent 1/2 moa from an AR isn't real common. I doubt anyone guarantees their barrel for 1/2 moa. Especially for $245. Great barrel for the money nonetheless

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    First build?

Buy the cheapest one.

^Speaks truth.

When I first buy a tool, I buy a middle of the road tool... this way I can figure out what features really suit my needs. Later, if needed, I turn that tool into a beater, or sell it, and buy a replacement (possibly more expensive) tool which better suits my needs now that I have a better grasp of my what needs are... First Hammer, First router, First drill, or firearm.
    Skills are ever evolving... tools, not always.

Top Bottom