• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Starting to do some research from what I am starting to read is that The AR 10 is a challenge to get the build right? So is it really that big of a deal to the point where we should just start with an AR 15?

thanks

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    AR10, heavy expensive ammo, heavy expensive gun, parts incompatibility between manufacturers.

Unless you need the .308’s longer range I’d go AR15.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Not as bad as some say. If you're going to build a AR10, stay with the DPMS platform or the Armalite platform, parts and pieces of both dont mix. Other than that they're essentially the same as building a AR15. I have built a few of each and theyre pretty easy whichever one you choose.

Again, dont try to mix DPMS platform parts with Armalite platform parts cuz it won't work.

Good luck with your build :yesway:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ar10 is simple if you go with one manufacturer like aero. The m5 platform is G2G. I built a 16 inch 308 out of a pile o parts with very minimal tools. Couple hundred rounds in with zero failures.

That or buy a PSA built and be done with it. Building doesn’t save you much if any money. I did it because I wanted a 16 inch barrel battle rifle build.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    AR10, heavy expensive ammo, heavy expensive gun, parts incompatibility between manufacturers.

Unless you need the .308’s longer range I’d go AR15.
    Heavy ammo, heavy gun? C'mon bro, eat a sammich..
    Expensive? Havnt seen "cheap" 223 or 556 in a very long time. Come to think of it, havnt seen any cheap ammo in a very long time.

Big bang or little bang, they're both great platforms imo.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    ar10 is simple if you go with one manufacturer like aero. The m5 platform is G2G. I built a 16 inch 308 out of a pile o parts with very minimal tools. Couple hundred rounds in with zero failures.

That or buy a PSA built and be done with it. Building doesn’t save you much if any money. I did it because I wanted a 16 inch barrel battle rifle build.
    It guess it is more about the journey versus the destination. My son wants to build one together. So it’s more about father son time than anything else.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The POF ar10 in a ar15 size is pretty interesting. Alabama arsenal has a video on it.

Aero, POF, and PSA are DPMS platforms. Just wanted to give the op some info so he didn't get confused.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Then keep it simple and go with something like aero. I’ve had great luck picking up blems on sale from them. They call a little bit of rough casting edges a blem.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Heavy ammo, heavy gun? C'mon bro, eat a sammich..
    Expensive? Havnt seen "cheap" 223 or 556 in a very long time. Come to think of it, havnt seen any cheap ammo in a very long time.

Big bang or little bang, they're both great platforms imo.
    I have an AR10, but built it after several AR15’s. For your first sporting rifle, the AR15 is a no-brainer.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Aero, POF, and PSA are DPMS platforms. Just wanted to give the op some info so he didn't get confused.
    Correct and if you don’t get your upper and hand guard from the same company you have to worry about high and low profile.

Now I’m sure anyone who hasn’t built one is super confused lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I did the same as you. I had a 10% off code, and they allowed my military discount, and they had a sale on top of that. I bought almost all Arro Precision parts except for the BCG I used Fail Zero. IIRC it was around $950 for everything and an hour to put it all together approximately. I went with a Magpul Rifle Stock.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Correct and if you don’t get your upper and hand guard from the same company you have to worry about high and low profile.

Now I’m sure anyone who hasn’t built one is super confused lol
    You don't "have" to get the same companys' handguard as the upper. PRI to Andersons will work on any gun as long as you stay with the same platform.. I have different manufacturers handguards on different manufacturers upper receivers and all are flat across the top.

Not trying to confuse anyone, especially the op.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Personally I'd go with an AR15. More options for calibers, more interchangeability between parts, generally cheaper to build and shoot.

But for build time with your son you can't go wrong.

My 7 year old is as in to gun stuff as I'd let him. He watched me put a lower together before the superbowl game. It's time you can't get back, make the most of it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It guess it is more about the journey versus the destination. My son wants to build one together. So it’s more about father son time than anything else.
    Then do AR-15. Much more fun and much more varied choices of parts. (and generally all interchangeable)

I think the only mixing and matching you'll have trouble with is mil spec vs commercial stocks/buffer tubes.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Just didn't want you to be intimidated by the AR10. They are just as simple as the AR15.

Have fun with your son and your build, whichever one you choose.
    He has a Ruger Gun Site Scout in 308 so I think we are going to go with the AR10. Kind of thinking building two together one for each of us. Thought that mike be kind of cool.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Remember a AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel has the same ballistics as the 308 in an AR-10. It doesn't have the energy on impact of a 308 but the flight path are very similar.

Top Bottom