ar-15 with brown/silver bear ammo. any takers??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    i have a newer Rock RiverAR in .223 and i'm looking for some cheaper ammo to shoot in close target range. i still use my better ammo for distance, but i'm looking for something cheaper to shoot at the local indor range (25 yard max). I've always had decent luck with brown bear ammo in my remmy 700 even out to 100 yards, and they seem to burn relatively clean. But, i know AR's don't like wolf's because they are so dirty.
    anybody have any experience with brown or silver bear's in their AR's??? thanks?

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Same as cwood shot tons of wolf no problems. But did have a failure to eject with sum silver bear my rra ejecter tore the case rim off the round had to use a dowel rod and a hammer to get the stuck case out.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have run a good deal of both Silver Bear and Wolf through my ARs over the last couple years. No real problems with either, but I give the edge to Silver Bear for its zinc-plated cases (promotes positive feeding and extraction) and higher velocities (Wolf .223 is some of the weakest factory ammo I've ever fired). Silver Bear also has better quality control, IME. I've seen Wolf cartridge cases with bits of foreign material brazed to them, preventing chambering (2 different rounds different lots of ammo), cases with primers but no flash holes, etc. I haven't seen any of that kind of thing with SB.

I would stay away from the Brown Bear; it has the lacquered steel cases like the old Wolf "Military Classic." The lacquer tends to melt or burn off in a hot chamber, and can cause cases to stick – particularly in guns with tight-ish chambers like ARs, though I've seen it in AKs as well.

My:twocents:

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    i always buy my bulk orders from AIM or ammunitiontogo.com they have the best prices that i can find and their service is great. i agree on the laquered brown bears when it comes to melting crap in my chambers, or getting stuff stuck on my bolts.

I'm going to try some silver bears...i'm a little a sour about wolf's after cleaning a friend's AR with all kinds of grime in there after only 40 rounds.

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    ok guys, went to the range today. i bought a 500 pack of silver bears for 119.99 from AIM, 500 rounds of centurion '08 military from AIM for 169.99, 100 rounds of PMC, and a few boxes of wolf. I shot the centurion stuff first. i shot about 150 rounds of that stuff and cleaned the rifle....it was unbelievably clean. shot very well. I can't give you official groups because i don't have the iron sights perfect, and i didn't have my scope. but, the centurions gave me the best results. the silver bears were decently clean, and so was the PMC. the wolf wasn't too awful. not bad, I'd have to give the silver bears a thumbs up to $119/500 rounds

Top Bottom