• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've built dozens of AR's for my personal collection as well as family members, I've been collecting for over 17 years and shooting since I was 6 years old/competitively since I was 10. When I was on active duty I think I had or handled an M16 from every manufacturer that ever existed, even ones which I didn't even know made M16's. I've also worked in the manufacturing industry for about 6 years.

That being said, your welcome to your opinion as well as everyone esle. So if you want a Colt or any number of other brand name, then just go for it. More often then not you're buying a weapon which was made from parts from the same 3rd party forgery/manufacturer and then simply shipped to the company which distributes them (i.e. Colt, RRA,etc) These companies then make some final touches by engraving their own name on it, drilling a couple holes, and putting the finish on them in their own fashion. Just like the "einstein brothers bagel restaraunts", they advertise that they are made fresh in their stores, but I can tell you from experience that they are not. The hire a 3rd party to make them, and ship them frozen to the stores. Just like most things in this country today.

Basically, what I'm saying is they are all the same and you will ultimately just be paying the price for a name depending on which you go with. The only true difference you will find in MOST is the quality of the anodized finish which can easily scratch on cheaper models. Just make sure whatever you get is "mil-spec" and you shouldn't have to worry about the finish so much.

Some people will have a bad experience with one brand and then swear it off forever. Learn from your own experience. As per mine, I build my own AR's and have for a long time because it is considerably cheaper if you know how and where to shop. I was a "brand" guy many years ago too, but learned that it is all advertising hype and not worth it. If I ever had a problem with a gun which I bought, I fixed it rather than discard it as "a junk AR". You'll be surprised how many "junk AR's" are actually good AR's with "junk magazines" or a couple other faulty assembly issues.

My entire point is, dont overexert yourself trying to pick the "best AR brand"...it's pointless and in any case strictly a matter of opinion, which you must form for yourself

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    If u want the colt go check out a LE6920 lots of places ive seen have em on sale cuz colt is getting rid of it and the LE6940, u can find the 6920 which has a flat top reciever with a carry handle on it and plastic forearm, pretty standard, quality AR for around 1k-1.1k for the time being, good starter, and u can always swap parts down the road, it's like a Lego kit, u get it, put it together and don't like it later u can tear it apart and make it into somethin else

I have seen a couple of shops doing that pricing. Decent price for the rifle. That is the beauty of the AR - it is like a lego or erector set - there are so many interchangeable possibilities.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    The statement that Colt, BCM, DD, LMT are simply using the same parts as other manufacturers and then engraving their names on it is just not the case. These companies are regarded as highly as they are because they procure top quality components (or make them in house), evaluate these components for quality, etc. Saying the parts are all the same is like saying a Daniel Defense Rail system is no better than a UTG rail...false. Some looking around on the internet will compare the quality of the components and testing done by these companies vs other AR manufacturers. You can start here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

It's worth noting that some companies do not want their product compared side by side with the competition.

This does not change the fact that if the OP just wants a rifle for plinking he should get what he's happy with and save some $$ for ammo. But I can't let the "Colt/BCM/DD/LMT use the same parts as everyone else" comment go by for people like the OP and let them think this the case.

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I think you should get something other than a Colt. Then everytime you talk about it or shoot it you can just tell people how it compares to a Colt.

I just pull my Colt LE6920 out of the bag and say nothing...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    comparing aftermarket railed handguards is hardly comparing identical necessary rifle components such as a lower receiver...which are made of the same type of aluminum at a forgery and many are completed to the 80% level then shipped to the "manufacturer" who drills the pin holes, engraves their name, and applies the finish...are there SOME who are lesser quality sure.....

but the majority follow a similar process to this because while they have machining equipment they are not a foundery...and it is cheaper to have a third party producer supply parts completed up to a certain point....this process is done in nearly EVERYTHING which is mass produced because it is cheaper....

I compared it to the "Einstein Bro's Bagels stores" simply because they, just as thousands of other businesses CLAIM to make all their own products right there and sell it "fresh"...well they don't...I worked on the machines for the 3rd party company which produced ALL of their products and shipped them to the stores for re-heating....

the cost of maintaining the additional equipment for companies such as this is not worth it to do it all IN HOUSE...so they hire 3rd party suppliers to complete their product to a certain point..then their facility completes the rest so that they can CLAIM that they "make" their product in house.............it's simply the world of mass production manufacturing....so you're welcome to believe a companies website...but until you GO to their facility and tour it....don't believe everything you read on the internet

to comply with federal law...all the company has to do is ONE thing to their product to claim they did it entirely....and the consumer's will never know the difference and it's a good "selling point" for marketing departments to say that they do it all

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    and "evaluating parts for quality" happens ONCE in a series....so say out of every 5,000 that comes out of their shop...they will pull 1 to check for quality.....it's hardly definitive in regards to "better quality"....not very good odds.......it costs them too much to check each and every part through their quality inspection processes

and saying that it is worth noting that some companies don't want their product compared side by side works both ways.....they could very well know that in doing so people will discover that it is made from identical material and sometimes the same foundery...and that would hurt their business if people knew they charged 50% more for the exact same thing.....

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I have several AR's my 2 favorite are my DDM4 and LWRC M6A2. I just ran my M6A2 through a 2 day course and it ran flawless.
    It depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend $600-$1500.

Last edited:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    and "evaluating parts for quality" happens ONCE in a series....so say out of every 5,000 that comes out of their shop...they will pull 1 to check for quality.....it's hardly definitive in regards to "better quality"....not very good odds.......it costs them too much to check each and every part through their quality inspection processes.

It's well documented (and also provided in the link above if any one wants to read it) that BCM, DD, Colt and others MPI and HPT 100% of their barrels and bolts. These are high stress components to the system and this is part of the reason you pay a premium for these rifles, because just as you have noted above, it is a significant expense to do these tests. Not much else I can say at this point...except I hope the OP gets a lot of enjoyment out of whatever rifle he chooses.

Top Bottom