• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Nate's suggestion to avoid chrome-lined if you intend to shoot for accuracy is, I believe, solid advice. Might I also suggest a .223 wylde chambering? I've found, though personal experimentation, that you will be able to experience less variation in zeros through ammunition changes. Though I will admit to being skeptical early on about it, I think the Wylde chambering does in fact manage pressure differentials better and as such allows for less impact on zero shift.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Stainless PSA barrel is ordered! Now only thing left to purchase is a BCG. My .308 POF has a really slick NiB bcg and is super easy to clean. I don't know if that is important on a 5.56 DI gun or not.

Brands to look for? Carpenter steel bolt, tool steel hardened? Too many choices?!?!?!?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just get a mil-spec BCG. Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, etc... are good to go and can be bought for typically $130 or less if you shop around and wait for a deal. $150 if you need it immediately.
    Stainless PSA barrel is ordered! Now only thing left to purchase is a BCG. My .308 POF has a really slick NiB bcg and is super easy to clean. I don't know if that is important on a 5.56 DI gun or not. Brands to look for? Carpenter steel bolt, tool steel hardened? Too many choices?!?!?!?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indeed there ARE too many choices in bolt carrier groups.

Here's the deal: as long as it is quality, and inspected...it doesn't matter for anything except looks and price.

All of the "go fast" coatings, NiB, Chrome, Nitride, etc. and ad nauseum really don't do a darn thing for the function or accuracy of the rifle in any way. All they do is look cool, and provide a slight advantage when getting the carbon off relative to a regular phosphate bolt.

Oh. They cost a lot too.

Now there can be made an argument that there are SLIGHT gains to be made for certain purposes by a few of the "altered" bolts, and altered carriers. EG: Heavy bolt carriers are best for high pressure long range loads, where light, "skeletonized" carriers might be best for Run-and-Gun 55 ball loads, where you win and lose by hundredths of seconds.

But you aren't using this rifle SOLELY for any of those purposes, close as I can tell.

What you NEED is:

--Magnetic Particle Inspected (aka "MPI") bolt;
    --Fully Shrouded (aka "M-16" or "Full Auto" ) bolt carrier...yes, completely legal in an AR; no, no tax stamp; no, will not make it full-auto;
    --Phosphate is fine, and preferred, unless you just love the hue of yellow a $100 bill burns in the night;
    --Milspec Carpenter 158 steel is fine. They do 10,000+ rounds under military NATO ammunition...so that's probably okay.

An interesting thing to note is that more than a few accuracy-minded smiths are of the opinion that the harder steel bolts and/or the chromed bolts often take LONGER to wear-in to the barrel extension and reach 100% contact on all lugs. By so doing, it takes longer to reach peak alignment and strength. Derf! DOH! But gosh, it's so purty.

Honestly, you may have a hard time finding a lot of options in stock. The AR is pretty popular at the moment--a la the Mini-14 in the 1990's--and a lot of guys are doing exactly what you are, exactly now.

Were I in your position, at this moment, I'd get one of these or very similar from BCM, etc. and I'd do it R tf Now: https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-precision-match-grade-phosphate-bcg

...not so much because it is "match", but because I trust with BCM, Rainier, and some of the upper-tier names that when they SAY it is MPI, that it will BE MPI. Also, because it is available right now.

-Nate

Last edited:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I got one me purdy bolts made by NiB, whoever that feller is, and his bolt was slick as snot on a doorknob to clean. I was afeared it was hogwash but I ain't had to scrape carbon never since. It just wipes off clean even after 800 rounds between cleaning.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I got one me purdy bolts made by NiB, whoever that feller is, and his bolt was slick as snot on a doorknob to clean. I was afeared it was hogwash but I ain't had to scrape carbon never since. It just wipes off clean even after 800 rounds between cleaning.

hehehe...sure, I get that. I'd have been disappointed if I didn't get at least one such response.

But my thoughts about my recommendation were based on the OP's stated purpose, and my interpretation of his overall budget, given some other choices.

Course, you noted I didn't say that Y/M's Chromed NM bolts have no place in my OWN rifles....;)

-Nate

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Take a look at the BCG from AIM surplus, very hard to beat for the price. Ive got a number of them from there and the one I have in my Run-N-Gun carbine has close to 5k rds on it now. They can be had in nitride or NiB either one will serve you well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^ Agreed, good deal! ^^

OP, did you make any decisions about a barrel? I saw ballistic advantage had a killer sale the other day... Also, if you are interested in learning more and trying to make a good decision, MrGuns'nGear has a really good video that may help you understand barrel materials, as well as twist rates and gas lengths. Things like that would help you decide what you want. Good luck!

Cmak85

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have 2 PSA 1/7 freedom barrels 16" and they run great, but my Ballistic Advantage 14.5 middy is a tack driver and of better quality.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have a larue predatar barrel on one of my rifles, it's pencil profile, and killer light weight. Rifle balances out fantastic. Just finished up a 14.5 carbine with a colt sopmod barrel, I'll be curious to shoot it soon. Good for the military, good for me.

Top Bottom