• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hey all, I know the AR build threads are a dead horse by now, but I have some questions before I start buying up some parts.
    I know exactly what I want, small barrel, lightweight toy, basically. I want it to be a budget build but still use some good pieces. Optics will probably be iron sights or some sort of holographic.

Anyways, lowers. I was planning on aero or spikes, but I can get an Anderson at the store locally. I don't want to have to buy a lower, ship it, then pay for the third party transfer. Is the Anderson that much lower quality?

Also, on parts kits (not triggers), does it hugely matter, or can I just use a lower kit?

After that I just plan on getting pieces as I find them on sale or used.

Thanks all!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    By the Anderson. Quality is fine especially building on a budget. All 3 of my ar platforms are built on Anderson multi cal lowers and zero issues whatsoever after thousands upon thousands of rounds.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I recently bought a few Anderson lowers, and I've assembled one of them. It went together without any issues and function checks fine. I have not fired it yet, but I suspect it will work. The Anderson was a much, MUCH nicer lower in terms of finish than the last 2 Bushmaster lowers I built, and one of the Bushmaster's had the hole for the bolt release retaining pin too close to the receiver, and the machining was generally cosmetically poor. The Andersons were $39/ea and the bushmasters were $49/ea. I'd definitely take an Anderson over a Bushmaster given my limited experience with both brands.

YMMV

l1n5c0tt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Trail Creek
    I built a 300blkout last year on an anderson lower about a 1k rounds though it with no issues. Just picked up another anderson lower for a sbr project to come after the 41f dust settles.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hey all, I know the AR build threads are a dead horse by now, but I have some questions before I start buying up some parts.
    I know exactly what I want, small barrel, lightweight toy, basically. I want it to be a budget build but still use some good pieces. Optics will probably be iron sights or some sort of holographic.

Anyways, lowers. I was planning on aero or spikes, but I can get an Anderson at the store locally. I don't want to have to buy a lower, ship it, then pay for the third party transfer. Is the Anderson that much lower quality?

Also, on parts kits (not triggers), does it hugely matter, or can I just use a lower kit?

After that I just plan on getting pieces as I find them on sale or used.

Thanks all!

This was a useful and recent thread on AR builds: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...w-budget-factory-built-off-shelf-ar-15-a.html

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I recently bought a few Anderson lowers, and I've assembled one of them. It went together without any issues and function checks fine. I have not fired it yet, but I suspect it will work. The Anderson was a much, MUCH nicer lower in terms of finish than the last 2 Bushmaster lowers I built, and one of the Bushmaster's had the hole for the bolt release retaining pin too close to the receiver, and the machining was generally cosmetically poor. The Andersons were $39/ea and the bushmasters were $49/ea. I'd definitely take an Anderson over a Bushmaster given my limited experience with both brands.

YMMV

Where'd ya get the Andersons for $39?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Lower Receivers

But they're sold out at the moment. I got the regular and the one with the integral trigger guard.

Looks like purt near the whole site is sold out!

O.P.
    Has anyone told you the Andersons are good to go?
    I've built a few Anderson lowers. All function as advertised, and expected.
    Hard to find a better deal for a budget build.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Do you prefer the one with the trigger guard more/less or equal? I'm sorta torn for my next build on which way to go.

I like the integral guard more than a USGI trigger guard, but that's only because the gap can get uncomfortable. Easy fix... gloves.... grip that fills the gap.... aftermarket trigger guard that fills the gap. IMO it's just personal preference.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks guys, for the responses and mispelled title (trying to type on a stupid tablet).
    No I never heard that Andersons were junk, they're just much cheaper.

All lowers everywhere are sold out it seems.

What about parts kits? I'm looking for a decent flat faced trigger but that is down the road.
    Just taking it piece by piece.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If you're getting a quality aftermarket trigger, I think parts kits are mostly parts kits... That said, I have quite a few parts of unknown origin and I've noticed that some combinations of detents, springs and takedown/pivot/selectors seem "mushy" when others are "crisp." Swapping around the detents and/or springs "fixes" the issue, which isn't really an issue as the guns function fine whether they're "mushy" or "crisp." Some people may even prefer "mushy;" I am not one of those people. I've also developed a liking for the Battlecomp ambi selector. Again, personal pref and I have a Seekins selector ready to go so I can compare it to the Battlecomps and save ~$30 if the Seekins is a suitable substitute.

I'm a big believer in spare parts. You didn't ask, but I'm gonna say you want (at minimum) a spare set of gas rings. They will wear out, and you can get by with 1 out of 3. But when the 3rd one goes your gun is down. Get 12 (or 120) of whatever magazines you prefer on sale when you can, they wear out too. Replacement 30 round mag springs are cheap right now; if Hillary gets elected they may become Unobtainium. Or just do what I did and build a ****load of rifles and keep enough parts on hand to build 3-4 more. :):

l1n5c0tt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Trail Creek
    I went with a palmetto state armory Magpul Moe lower build kit. Came with parts kit, stock,buffer tube. At the time it was cheaper to do it that way then individual pieces.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have multiple Anderson lowers and haven't had a problem with any of them. Matter of fact I SBR'd 2 of them. I still (allegedly) have 2 in the safe that are still stripped.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I tend to think the Anderson lowers are great. So far my "receiver wobble" is perceived as barely noticeable, which happens to be where most other AR's of higher perceived quality lie. Save your money for the parts that move, touch bullets, and stuff...

As far as LPK's, while I havent noticed a ton of difference, but I did have one that was remarkably bad. The safety lever was VERY hard to move, and the finish was really weird and glossy. I can't remember the brand, but it was a cheapo. I'll save my money and buy something with a better rep. I probably only saved 15$ or something stupid. Most of my other LPK's have been CMMG kits, and I have no complaints.

As far as Triggers, I don't have that much experience. I have a Geissele SSA-E and love it. If looking for a trigger, I'd be hard pressed to explore any other options as I'm happy with it. For a cheaper option I wouldn't hesitate buying an ALG trigger.

Top Bottom