• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    okay pardon the noob thread here. i recently built my first AR-15 lower (PSA stripped with PSA LPK and Magpul FDE furniture)(upper is on its way!)

my question is about the disconnector on the trigger, and hopefully my description will be good enough.

okay bear with me...the pin goes through the trigger and the disconnector at the same time, the trigger has a slit where the disconnector sits on a little green spring. the disconnector kind of see-saws on the pin inside the slit on the trigger. so you can push the disconnector down into the slit with a finger and the little spring pushes it back up.

now my question is, is it normal for the contact between the disconnector and slit on the trigger to be rough? i can push the disconnector down with a finger but it is somewhat resistant, and it feels distinctly like metal on metal. the spring resets it fully as far as i can tell, but the roughness worries me. hammer lock and trigger reset function flawlessy, but since this is my first build i want to make sure i do it right and everything is good to go the first time.

hopefully this all made sense.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Its too early in the morning for me. But when I built my lower I went to youtube and looked up a couple of the builds on there and walked through a couple of them. This might help ease your mind on doing things correctly. I would give you a couple links but I am getting ready to be running late because of this forum again. :)

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I have a Daniel defense I am trying to build and I can't get the pin through the trigger and disconnector when it's not in the lower should I drill it a little or call Daniel defense?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Did you put the spring in upside down? The disconnector spring has a flare on one end and that end should go into the slot so it holds the spring in place. If you put it in upside down the flare will scrape every time it compresses.

It won't affect function for the most part but it can wear parts prematurely and *might* cause issues later.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Did you put the spring in upside down? The disconnector spring has a flair on one end and that end should go into the slot so it holds the spring in place. If you put it in upside down the flair will scrape every time it compresses.

It won't affect function for the most part but it can wear parts prematurely and *might* cause issues later.

you know what i think i did that. i'll flip it and see if the helps. thanks i didn't even think of that.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    wow world of difference. i guess i like to over think things. thanks for your help. i flipped the spring and its nice and smooth. noted for my future builds. :ingo:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    you know what i think i did that. i'll flip it and see if the helps. thanks i didn't even think of that.

It helped that I just built another lower last night so it was fresh in my memory and I had gotten to wondering what difference the flare direction made (I'd always just assembled from directions, last night was my second just from memory) so I swapped it to see and got the same issue you described.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Top Bottom