• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have 2 of the Sparc AR red dot on a couple guns. For the money I think they are a beat buy. PSA was running a deal recently, Sparc AR plus 10 Pmags for $200.

The holosuns seem OK as well. But I haven’t run one very much.

Back on topic. Trigger and sights and Sling of some sort.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Ight y'all, just keeping everyone updated with a few more questions. I've decided to save some cash, and just enhance my AR pistol. I ordered a longer hand guard today, and will probably order a polished trigger later this week. I've got backup irons already, and will start looking at a light and glass to complete my rig. Is anyone running a Sparc AR 2? They're cheap, and look to be very practical. What light is everyone on their shorter rifles? Also, does anyone run contoured pistol grips on their guns? For whatever reason, the magpul grip I currently have on it is bugging me, and I'm considering trying one.

You can get a single mode Surefire and a VTAC mount for less than $100.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok, y'all might be saving my ass here. I did not know about this stuff. I have a Noveske pig style device on the end, so I'm sitting at 28" with my SB PDW brace collapsed. One complaint I had was the handguard being short, but since I've put the pig wannabe on, I could easily order and throw on a 12" handguard for more space.

EDIT: Welp, looks like it's still no dice on the foregrip. The muzzle device doesn't count into the overall length unless it's pinned or welded, or both, which it is not. I'm back under 26"
    Ok as far as OAL, if you ar 28” collapsed, you are OVER 26” Extended(which is how it’s measured, OAL totally extended to end of barrel, so unless you have a huge muzzle device, you should still be over 26”, extend your brace all the way out, and measure to the beginning of the muzzle device).

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    AR15 absolute must: (1) I prefer a F marked front sight base. Otherwise, good iron sights on the gun. And the MBUS are acceptable. (2) Comfortable stock. The A2 is good and there are many aftermarket stocks that work well. (2) Handguard must be comfortable and capable of handling any accessories you may chose to add later. (3) Good fire control group. Most milspec (stock) triggers are not good, but on occasion, you may find one that is better than average. I use Geissele, but I imagine any aftermarket fire control group would be an improvement over stock.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    For a budget optic I really like the holosun. The sparc is good but the battery life on the holosun is what did it for me. Down side to the holosun is the mount. I replaced it with an American Defense Mount. You might have been with me when I zeroed it in?
    Yeah, I was with you. I remember for whatever reason it was a pain to get dailed in. Haha

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok as far as OAL, if you ar 28” collapsed, you are OVER 26” Extended(which is how it’s measured, OAL totally extended to end of barrel, so unless you have a huge muzzle device, you should still be over 26”, extend your brace all the way out, and measure to the beginning of the muzzle device).
    Can you hit me with a source on this? I was under the impression it was to the end of the buffer tube.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I run a holosun on my AR "firearm", I've been happy with it and it's always held zero. Not sure if it matters but it's the circle-dot solar/battery model, can't remember the model number at the moment.

As for the OAL, it's changed from end of the buffer tube to end of extended brace and back to end of buffer too many times to know what it is this week lol! When I put mine together I just went with end of buffer tube to end of barrel threads, figured that would be a safe bet measurement so I didn't have to worry about the measuring rules changing. Went with an 11.5 inch barrel and wound up at 26.5 inches from end of buffer tube to the end of the barrel threads.

llKR0qd.jpg

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I run a holosun on my AR "firearm", I've been happy with it and it's always held zero. Not sure if it matters but it's the circle-dot solar/battery model, can't remember the model number at the moment.

As for the OAL, it's changed from end of the buffer tube to end of extended brace and back to end of buffer too many times to know what it is this week lol! When I put mine together I just went with end of buffer tube to end of barrel threads, figured that would be a safe bet measurement so I didn't have to worry about the measuring rules changing. Went with an 11.5 inch barrel and wound up at 26.5 inches from end of buffer tube to the end of the barrel threads.

llKR0qd.jpg

why use a Pistol brace? If you have the stamp to add a VFG, you should be able to put an actual stock on it, or am I missing something?

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    why use a Pistol brace? If you have the stamp to add a VFG, you should be able to put an actual stock on it, or am I missing something?

No stamp on it. It's OAL is over 26 inches which allows the use of the VFG without a stamp.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    No stamp on it. It's OAL is over 26 inches which allows the use of the VFG without a stamp.

I'm not a big NFA guy so I really dont know the rules. I thought all pistols with two grips required a stamp, I didnt realize there was a OAL requirement. Thanks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not a big NFA guy so I really dont know the rules. I thought all pistols with two grips required a stamp, I didnt realize there was a OAL requirement. Thanks.
    At an OAL of 26" it is no longer considered a pistol, it becomes a "firearm" the same as the TAC-14 and Shockwave.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Also, does anyone run contoured pistol grips on their guns? For whatever reason, the magpul grip I currently have on it is bugging me, and I'm considering trying one.

I really like the Hogue AR grip; it fits great in my hand and real easy to actually hold muzzle down one-handed if needed. Also have a BCM grip on another and like the grip angle. Wish I could find a hybrid of the two...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really like the Hogue AR grip; it fits great in my hand and real easy to actually hold muzzle down one-handed if needed. Also have a BCM grip on another and like the grip angle. Wish I could find a hybrid of the two...

Maybe try the Daniel Defense grip.

I like the Hogue but it's sticky & grabs onto everything it touches. I have one on my 458 SOCOM. It doesn't work well for a slung defensive rifle though. Try it at a carbine class & you'll see what I mean.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Maybe try the Daniel Defense grip.

I like the Hogue but it's sticky & grabs onto everything it touches. I have one on my 458 SOCOM. It doesn't work well for a slung defensive rifle though. Try it at a carbine class & you'll see what I mean.

Ya, it does get a little tacky. I'll take a look at the DD grip, Thanks!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010

llKR0qd.jpg

Very nice setup. Was the MWI floating handguard easy to install?

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Emery cloth and Johnson's Floor Wax.

I mean, I've heard that is what the old guys do to Hogue grips/stocks. I mean, you know how those old guys are, probably like revolvers too, amirite?

Thanks for the work around. Oh yeah, spot on, there's nothing like the sound of a finally tuned clicking cylinder/hammer preparing to fall!

Top Bottom