• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    Hey guys, I have a dpms standard with no iron sights. I ordered troy sights at my local gun store, but they said they dont know when they will come in. I can't wait any longer and I would settle with some magpul sights. Since the rail on my gas block is lower than the rear, what size riser would i need to put on, so my front iron is even with the rear.

note: I have a standard DPMS ar15 556/223

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Maybe no rise at all. It would depend on how much vertical adjustment you have on the rear sight. If it has enough travel then you don't need to worry. On the other hand, if you need to raise the front sight it would probably be easiest to simply change the front gas block with a new, taller unit.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Maybe no rise at all. It would depend on how much vertical adjustment you have on the rear sight. If it has enough travel then you don't need to worry. .

Neither the Magpul nor the Troy flip-up rear sights have any elevation adjustment capability.

Further, even if the Magpul front sight was the correct height for a stepped-down gas block (it's not) or the OP decided to swap to a receiver-height railed gas block, Magpul expressly warns against using their sights in that application because of the heat involved.

OP - my advice is to replace your stepped-down gas block with a receiver-height unit (which you'll need for the Troy sights anyway, unless you specifically ordered the Troy front sight for gas blocks), and wait on the Troy sights.

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    does anyone know someone that can change a gas block out for me? Im 30min east of muncie. I want to get rid of the the gas block with the front sight and go low profile. Also I was looking at the troy gas blocks and in the reviews someone was saying that the block was too short and left a hole exposed. I know nothing about this, any information would be appreciated.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Since you have a high quality set of sights on order that will work, why would you want to change the gas block? My recommendation is to just get a red dot sight or something similar which will compliment the irons you have on order.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I can't wait any longer and I would settle with some magpul sights. Since the rail on my gas block is lower than the rear, what size riser would i need to put on, so my front iron is even with the rear.

I was not making the assumption he was using MagPul.

I guess I covered both bases in my reply - the Troys he has on order, and the Magpuls he is apparently thinking about buying. (see above)

Also I was looking at the troy gas blocks and in the reviews someone was saying that the block was too short and left a hole exposed. I know nothing about this, any information would be appreciated.

What they are referring to is the Troy gas block not covering the "scar" in the bottom of the barrel that is left by the forward pin on the front sight base, if you are replacing a fixed front sight. This is strictly cosmetic, but there are "long nose" blocks available that would cover it.

mikestripe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    seymour,in.
    DPMS

I have a DPMS ,Yankee Hill makes a front flip up sight for a railed gas block, I ordered a set for my DPMS and they worked great , I ordered both the front and rear flip up sights. After I got it sighted in I then added a red dot on it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    YHM also makes a 1/4" riser and that will put the front sight up high enough.

ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    no one answered my question... What kind of riser can put on the gas block so I can use the magpul sights, in the mean time while i wait for my troy sights to come in?

Top Bottom