• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I'm planning out my first build and I am planning on going with a Green Mountain 18" barrel with rifle length gas. How expensive is it to get a sight pinned or am I better off going with a clamp on style?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Do you really want to drill and pin a perfectly good factory fresh barrel?

Would a clamp on folding Yankee Hill sight be better? Or a rifle length free float and mount either a fixed or folding BUIS to it?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think it mostly depndw on what you plan on doing with the rifle and how rough you'll be on it. If your mostly going to be plinking or shooting from a bench, a clamped on gas block will mostly likely be fine. If you plan to use it to kick ass and take names, a clamped on gas block will still probably be fine but a pinned on one will be more durable. I tend to be a bit rough on stuff and if it can break, it will with me so I opt for the pinned on option but YMMV. If you do opt for the bolt on option, I would add some sort of reinforcement such as drilling dimples into the barrel where the fasteners attach to ensure that it doesn't turn into a single shot. Also, running the forearm over the top of the gas block adds a degree of protection to the gas block getting knocked out of allignment.

Top Bottom