• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    Hi there this is my first ar build and I ordered a tapco locking plate. The indentation for the plate on my tactical innovations lower is a circle but the locking plate is more of an oval and it doesn't go in right. Did I just get the wrong locking plate? I wasn't aware there were different ones honestly. I wish I could upload photos from my phone to butter explain it.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    Hmm well it definitely does not haha. I hadn't read anything bad about them and the reviews on my specific part were good. What would you suggest going with? I'm going to send this back and still need a castle nut. I was surprised this stuff didn't come with my magpul stock

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Mounting hardware usually doesn't come with a stock. There are many different styles of lock plates. Any thing from the normal to ones wth built in loops for attaching the sling to ones with quick disconnect mounts for sling swivels. All depends what you want. I suggest going to a well known site such as BCM - Bravo Company and taking a look at what all they have, pick up your castle nut there also.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I suggest your LGS first. That way you support a local business and will see exactly what you're getting before you buy it.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I tried my lgs that's where I got the buffer tube, buffer, and stock but they didn't have and locking plates or castle nuts.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I thought maybe when I put the castle nut on it would tighten in. I have tried two locking plates now and they both fit the same. Would this be a defect in my lower?
    20130205_004710_zps52dace79.jpg
    [/IMG]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Lower looks straight, plate looks bent. Send it back if you can. If you can't, get creative with a bench vise and straighten. What's the worst that can happen?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Take it back apart and put the lower against something perfectly flat like a glass window or something. If it's flat, then put the buffer tube back on and check it for square relative to the lower.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You might wanna put your rear take down pin, detent, and spring in before you tighten down your castle nut and stake it.

Idk if I'm the only one that noticed that but I figured I would save you the headache

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Tactical Innovations has a set screw on the rear takedown pin detent spring. Make sure that is in all the way.

Good call.:yesway: I always put setscrews in mine, even if I have to tap it myself. I always make sure that little bugger is below flush.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    You might wanna put your rear take down pin, detent, and spring in before you tighten down your castle nut and stake it.

Idk if I'm the only one that noticed that but I figured I would save you the headache

I just threw it in there when I was at work to get a pic to post. I didn't have my tools with me and I needed the Allen wrench to take out the tiny plunger for the spring and take down pin. Thanks though everyone I'll have to give it a shot here in a little bit. But I tried two plates and they're both the same so I doubt it's the plates themselves. Always a possibility though.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I just replaced the locking plate on my S&W MP15. I replaced the original locking plate with one that has an integral attachment point for a sling. My new locking plate has the oval, as did the original, and fits perfectly. I don't remember the brand name for the new locking plate, I can check when I get home tonight.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I thought maybe when I put the castle nut on it would tighten in. I have tried two locking plates now and they both fit the same. Would this be a defect in my lower?
    20130205_004710_zps52dace79.jpg
    [/IMG]

Does it fit flush without the buffer tube? How does it fit if you flip it upside down so that the hole for the buffer tube is down towards the grip? It looks like it may need a bit of sanding or filing for it to fit all the way into the lower. Depending on how much interference there is and your skill levels with a file or Dremel will decide whether you take it off the plate or off the lower.
    If the plate is bent or bowed then a few moments on an anvil with a hammer should straighten it out. If the hole is too small for teh "plug" then tightening it down could bend the plate.

Top Bottom