• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    How do you guys carry your extra magazines?
    Vest, belt holder, clipped together on gun?
    I was thinking about this earlier. The only way I would have currently is to stuff them into my pocket.

I was looking into getting some sort of tactical vest. The vest would also come in handy in case I need to fend off hoards of zombies too.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    We were just looking at Lars's shoulder holster this morning to see how it would wear on me. If I got one of those, I'd *have* to carry extra magazines on the other side in the straps just to balance me out or I'd be walking lop-sided. He also has a belt clip he wears periodically that holds two or three magazines.

But nevermind. you said AR magazines.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I was planning on using clips to hold 2 magazines together on the gun.

and then, depending on what I'm doing, either belt mounted mag carriers, or two pairs of mags clipped together in cargo pockets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Depends on why I am carrying them.

Carrying a bunch of mags to a match or class is one thing. Carrying them for shooting in a match or a class is another. Carrying them in an emergency would be still another.

If I'm actually shooting and I need spare mags, I use mag carriers on my belt, a combination of the injection molded from Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting. and the single pouch from The Wildernessâ„¢ - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Beltâ„¢. I usually have 2-3 on my belt, depending on the needs.

If I need more than that, I either carry extras in a dump pouch (also on my belt), from which I reload the belt pouches as I use the mags. Reloads to the rifle always come from the belt.

Sometimes I also use a shoulder bag from Galati International - Shooting and Gun Accessories that holds six mags (three on each side), which functions as a bandoleer. Again, those mags are used to refill belt carriers from which I do actual reloads. These shoulder bags are also what I keep for emergency situations where I might need to grab my rifle and some extra magazines.

The various bags and bandoleers I have are also used for transporting mags to and from the range.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I will be carrying rifle mags in my pocket. I don't have all that gear and don't plan on getting it. When I go to the range I practice with mags in my pocket. If I take a rifle class I plan to put them in my pocket. I don't know how cool that would be but thats how I roll.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    bw, what are we going to do?

If I screwing around on the range, I usually stick them in my back pocket (and do not shoot from sitting). If I am "going to war" I like the chest pouch. The mags are handy and it provides an extra layer for return fire to chop through.

If chest pouch, have to be in shape for bouncing up from prone or kneeling. Belt carry balances better.

Like most things in life, pros and cons to whatever you do.:)

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    I have a Bugout chest rig just for ammo, 10 AR mags, 5 Glock mags.
    and then a shoulder bag with First aid, Extra cell phone batteries, GPS, and 72 hours of food.

I havent Decided how to transport the 870's ammo, Going to army surplus tomorrow and looking for a few bags/packs. Right now Id throw some shells in a fanny pack and make my wife wear it.

I havent given much thought about her gear at all either, I feel guilty now that Ive typed what i have read to go.
    thats on my short to do list.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm digging the stock magazine pouches.
    http://www.instawares.com/images/details/1px.gif
    1px.gif
    1px.gif

Although I do have a vest with extra mag pouches, if they weren't so expensive, I'd buy a nice entry vest. At the moment I have no use for one, so IDK, if I work some OT I may look into one. One that holds rifle and pistol mags.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Being in the Guard I currently have the LBV that holds six mags, plus two belt pouches that hold 3 each bringing my total to 12 30rd mags +1 in my weapon.

We will soon have the IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) with the individual pouches.

Range time, all ammo and mags come in 50 cal ammo cans.

My current personal carry in a SHTF, My kevlar,the LBV with sidearm, a pair modified large shoulder bags with the pouches sewn on the inside with a large dump area in middle.
    This will hold my xtra AR mags, pistol mags,ammo, ratrions, water and whatever else I need, as well as my CFP-90 with my Bugout gear.

As SFC Damian always said, "You cannot have too many mags."

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm digging the stock magazine pouches.

That has my interest up also along with the clips that hold two together. The thought being, pick up the rifle w/90 rounds. That ought to defend the ranch and or get me to more ammo.

Maybe the extra weight messes with the balance or use of the rifle?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've been waiting on my stimulus check to get me one of these...

Thumb_mollechestrig_cb_big.jpg

Eagle Industries chest Rig. At $80, it does everything I need as a civiliian for defensive purposes where other rigs of same quality cost about twice as much. I also plan on getting new P-Mags for my M4 or ACR, whenever that comes out. I'm planning to stick with the M4 until I find out how expensive it's going to be. Might just be cheaper to retro-fit a gas piston onto my existing M4 and my next build.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the bandoleer type mag carriers are great for transport to and from and can be reloaded from fairly efficiently with practice. loading from the belt will be the fastest for most, even prone. think similarity of motion with reloading your pistol. the smaller chest rigs work pretty well, but i'd advise against subloads (thigh drop rigs). quite uncomfortable for most.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i had an issued blackhawk zip up vest with the 6 front pouches that worked great for up to 12 mags. but our supply section changed their minds and took everything back. currently a nam era Y-harness and 4 issue mag pouches for up to 12.

i'm looking right now, depends on what is on sale and what is skinny-guy compliant

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's allowed, you could add one open-topped carrier to the belt for reloads. The you can refill that carrier from the alice pouches as you have time.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    they get tired of bitchin at me for trying out different things, so they don't really care what i do anymore.as long as what i'm doing seems to work. i got my ass chewed for 6 months over using a dropleg holster till someone else tried it, then they purchased them for everyone

Top Bottom