• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyjones65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I am considering an AR pistol build. I bought a SOG stripped lower during the possible gun ban feeding frenzy. This would be my first build of any AR and I'm seeking input/opinions on building a .223/5.56 pistol. Are there any differences besides the obvious lack of stock and shorter barrel length to building a pistol instead of a rifle? What are the best places to buy the parts? How about a good manual/book on AR building? Thoughts on barrel length, shorter the better? Thanks in advance for the help.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You are in for some fun! I have put together three or four AR carbines and just put together my first AR pistol.

I did not find the lower assembly to be different than the carbines other than my pistol build kit did not have a castle nut securing the buffer tube like my carbines did.

I have used this guide to assemble my AR's. I like it.
    :: Guides

I also watched some build videos on youtube. Just search "AR lower assembly". Sometimes I find it helpful to actually see things done than just read the instructions.

I used this kit: Palmetto State Armory Pistol Lower Build Kit - Black
    I have bought several things from Palmetto State. They have some pretty good prices when things go on sale, but be aware that sometimes it takes a while to get your order (usually uppers can take a while). Also be aware that you should check the contents of your order carefully when you get it. I have received incomplete orders from them before (build kit missing buffer tube and retainer plate a fairly recent example), but their customer service has always been quick to reply to me and quick to make it right.

As to barrel length, I have heard that sometimes the shorter barrels can have cycling trouble and are significantly louder to the shooter and those on either side of the shooter, but I do not know if that is true or just talk. I have a 12" barrel on my AR pistol and I really like it. I am not sure how far I can stretch it, but it holds a decent group (8") at 200 yards.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you choose and how you like it!

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Good compromise ballistics wise(if that matters)and shorter barrels sometimes have cycling issues and if you ever want to add a suppressor most manufacturers warranty is void on anything under 10.5 I beleive(some one please correct me if im wrong on the length)

I built a 9mm ar pistol with a 5 inch barrel that I'm planning on suppressing and sbr'in

Indyjones65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Good compromise ballistics wise(if that matters)and shorter barrels sometimes have cycling issues and if you ever want to add a suppressor most manufacturers warranty is void on anything under 10.5 I beleive(some one please correct me if im wrong on the length)

I built a 9mm ar pistol with a 5 inch barrel that I'm planning on suppressing and sbr'in

Good info on the cycling issue. And yes suppressing is in my future. Planning on setting up a Trust in the near future to get things rolling.

Indyjones65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    You are in for some fun! I have put together three or four AR carbines and just put together my first AR pistol.

I did not find the lower assembly to be different than the carbines other than my pistol build kit did not have a castle nut securing the buffer tube like my carbines did.

I have used this guide to assemble my AR's. I like it.
    :: Guides

I also watched some build videos on youtube. Just search "AR lower assembly". Sometimes I find it helpful to actually see things done than just read the instructions.

I used this kit: Palmetto State Armory Pistol Lower Build Kit - Black
    I have bought several things from Palmetto State. They have some pretty good prices when things go on sale, but be aware that sometimes it takes a while to get your order (usually uppers can take a while). Also be aware that you should check the contents of your order carefully when you get it. I have received incomplete orders from them before (build kit missing buffer tube and retainer plate a fairly recent example), but their customer service has always been quick to reply to me and quick to make it right.

As to barrel length, I have heard that sometimes the shorter barrels can have cycling trouble and are significantly louder to the shooter and those on either side of the shooter, but I do not know if that is true or just talk. I have a 12" barrel on my AR pistol and I really like it. I am not sure how far I can stretch it, but it holds a decent group (8") at 200 yards.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you choose and how you like it!

I'll be sure and read that "guide" before starting. The PSA LBK looks like a pretty good deal at $99 right now. I'm gonna look at their site a little more, kinda looking for FDE hardware and furniture.

Top Bottom