• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i have a rocky mountain arms ar pistol which ive had some problums with, ive been looking into putting a buffer and recoil spring in it from a rifle aswell as the buffer tube, i know i cant put a stock on it without going threw atf and and maken it a short barrel rifle, but is there a maximum lenght a pistol can be, and if so what is it??? what is the trick to getting the ar pistols to function, ive had bad luck with about 3 of them,

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd not test the waters with the rifle buffer. That's a mighty easy case for "constructive intent" since a stock could be mounted quick, easy, and in a hurry.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Don't put a rifle but stock on there. Just get a heavier weight buffer and accomplish the same thing without risking constructive intent.

Spike's has one, and I believe there's actually one for sale in the classifieds right now.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    AR pistols can be a finicky critter. Check on the webs, in a place that specializes in AR-platform rifles. A homepage for black rifles, of sorts.

The challenge is identifying exactly what the problem is, and finding the right solution, the first time. Due to availability and costs, this is definitely not something you just want to throw parts at.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    this pistol is in no way getting a stock, but i was wondering about useing the longer buffer and tube. i saw a guy use a buffer tube on youtube and he did things to the tube so that it coundnt except a stock over it. it was an idea, im going to add spring tension and try a heavyer buffer, im sure i can do that with the existing buffer tube.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I built my Spikes lower into a Pistol with 10.5" upper and used the Spikes pistol buffer tube kit that includes the ST-2T heavy tungsten buffer. It runs flawless.

The OP didn't post what barrel length he was running ? If it's a 7.5" barrel / gas system it could be the short gas tube causing the issues. Some short systems run fine and others can give you fits.

If you are running a 7.5" Barrel you may want to look into a Pigtail type gas tube. The below link is just an example, I'm sure if you research there are some out there priced cheaper.
    AR-15/M16 PIGTAIL GAS TUBE | Brownells

Just my .02 cents

Last edited:
    Top Bottom