• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Looking for a low powered scope to put on one of my ARs. This AR is sort of a general purpose rig, but one primary purpose is coyote hunting in brushy areas and in less than ideal light. I've tried a couple of 1-4x scopes and found that I need a bit more magnification to slip a bullet in between limbs at distance, while at the same time keeping it close to 1x for up close shots on moving 'yotes and the 20-24mm objectives left much to be desired in lower light. Also exposed adjustment turrets are out. I do not like them, I do not need them, Sam I am. And lastly, the simpler the reticle the better for ease of use. Basically put the center dot/x on target and pull the trigger. Again BDC not needed at the ranges I'll be shooting at, in the woods most shots will be under 100 yards, maybe 200 absolute max. May go a bit further if the opportunity presents itself but if I know I'll be reaching out I've got better tools to use. Target shooting may go out further but I can use a little Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation, no big deal there. Might be a tall order but my budget is $400 for scope itself, maybe over that some if the scope is that much better.
    That's what I'm looking for, and here are a couple I've found might work, comments on them are welcome as are any advice on alternatives. Both of the first 2 I've actually held in my hands while the third all I have is what I found online, and it isn't much.

First is Vortex Strike Eagle. Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle 1-6x24 AR-BDC Pros, it's a Vortex! Has a simple BDC reticle that is definitely doable, not overly complicated. Also has an excellent reputation. Shortest of the 3, mounting will be a breeze. Cheapest of the 3 but barely. Cons, 24mm objective so not sure how it will work in the shadows.

Next is the Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40. MTAC? Riflescope 1.5-6x42mm | Burris Optics Pros, what I've read has been generally positive, good light transmission for use in low light. Lightest of the 3 but not by much. To my eye the glass was a bit better than the SE, but some of that might have been because of ocular adjustment and the objective size in store lighting. Cons, don't care much for either reticle available but if need be could possibly make the Ballistic CQ work. Longest of the 3 so may need require special mounting. And also the least amount of adjustment range. Slightly more $ than the other 2. Slightly worse reviews than the SE.

Lastly is the Hawke Endurance 30 1.5-6x44. Hawke Optics | Endurance 1.5-6x44 L4A Dot While I haven't handled this particular scope, I have looked at a couple other of their scopes from a lower tier and they seemed to be actually decent scopes, about equal to Vortex Diamondback or Leupold VXI. Pros, the reticle is exactly what I want. The 44mm objective should let plenty of light through especially if the glass is good. Based in Ft. Wayne and good warranty. Most amount of adjustment, only slightly more than the SE but a bunch more than the Burris. Also like the rheostat illumination control. Cons, newish company, limited reviews on their products in general and none at all on this scope. Heaviest of the bunch.

Right now, its a tossup between the SE and the Hawke. I'd go with the Hawke but there is just nothing on interwebs about it. Also if I went with the SE and it didn't work as well as I thought I could always put it on my knock around truck/trunk gun, been thinking of one for that purpose anyway.

TL,DR Recommend me a good, simple 1-6x AR scope.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Looking for a low powered scope to put on one of my ARs. This AR is sort of a general purpose rig, but one primary purpose is coyote hunting in brushy areas and in less than ideal light. I've tried a couple of 1-4x scopes and found that I need a bit more magnification to slip a bullet in between limbs at distance, while at the same time keeping it close to 1x for up close shots on moving 'yotes and the 20-24mm objectives left much to be desired in lower light. Also exposed adjustment turrets are out. I do not like them, I do not need them, Sam I am. And lastly, the simpler the reticle the better for ease of use. Basically put the center dot/x on target and pull the trigger. Again BDC not needed at the ranges I'll be shooting at, in the woods most shots will be under 100 yards, maybe 200 absolute max. May go a bit further if the opportunity presents itself but if I know I'll be reaching out I've got better tools to use. Target shooting may go out further but I can use a little Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation, no big deal there. Might be a tall order but my budget is $400 for scope itself, maybe over that some if the scope is that much better.
    That's what I'm looking for, and here are a couple I've found might work, comments on them are welcome as are any advice on alternatives. Both of the first 2 I've actually held in my hands while the third all I have is what I found online, and it isn't much.

First is Vortex Strike Eagle. Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle 1-6x24 AR-BDC Pros, it's a Vortex! Has a simple BDC reticle that is definitely doable, not overly complicated. Also has an excellent reputation. Shortest of the 3, mounting will be a breeze. Cheapest of the 3 but barely. Cons, 24mm objective so not sure how it will work in the shadows.

Next is the Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40. MTAC? Riflescope 1.5-6x42mm | Burris Optics Pros, what I've read has been generally positive, good light transmission for use in low light. Lightest of the 3 but not by much. To my eye the glass was a bit better than the SE, but some of that might have been because of ocular adjustment and the objective size in store lighting. Cons, don't care much for either reticle available but if need be could possibly make the Ballistic CQ work. Longest of the 3 so may need require special mounting. And also the least amount of adjustment range. Slightly more $ than the other 2. Slightly worse reviews than the SE.

Lastly is the Hawke Endurance 30 1.5-6x44. Hawke Optics | Endurance 1.5-6x44 L4A Dot While I haven't handled this particular scope, I have looked at a couple other of their scopes from a lower tier and they seemed to be actually decent scopes, about equal to Vortex Diamondback or Leupold VXI. Pros, the reticle is exactly what I want. The 44mm objective should let plenty of light through especially if the glass is good. Based in Ft. Wayne and good warranty. Most amount of adjustment, only slightly more than the SE but a bunch more than the Burris. Also like the rheostat illumination control. Cons, newish company, limited reviews on their products in general and none at all on this scope. Heaviest of the bunch.

Right now, its a tossup between the SE and the Hawke. I'd go with the Hawke but there is just nothing on interwebs about it. Also if I went with the SE and it didn't work as well as I thought I could always put it on my knock around truck/trunk gun, been thinking of one for that purpose anyway.

I don't have that particular model of Hawke scope, but I do have their now discontinued Varmint SF 2.5-10x40mm side focus scope mounted on my Marlin 1894, and it turns out that it's an excellent scope that holds its zero (each summer, well in advance of hunting season, I check it) from one hunting season to the next, and I've taken three deer with it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

The 24mm OBJ will not effect light transition nearly as much as you think it will. In optics light is controlled by zoom just as much as OBJ lense. Thats why its rare to find a 1-? with a large OBJ lens.

Adjustment will not matter in the least to you. I would be shocked if you used 30 MOA, and even the burris has 80 MOA. 80 MOA will get you roughly 1000 yds.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Its a little over your budget # but i have and really like the leupold vx-r patrol. 1.25-4 x20. Cant really tell the difference when looking through it vs 40 mm scope imo. The fire dot is awesome in low to no light because its basicly a red dot at that point and shown up nice using spotlight as well.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I bought the Strike Eagle from Alan at A&A Optics, and so far, I am very pleased with its performance. I have no problems with my old eyes getting on target quickly and accurately, even in bright light. The furthest I have shot is at 100 yds so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but between 25 and 100 yards, I am thoroughly impressed.

I really love the true 1X magnification. Operates a lot like a red dot at 1X, only better!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a dedicated yote ar and run a Leopold vx1 3x9. Light weight, quick target acquisition on 3 power, and makes 400yd easier with the 556.
    I am not a fan of magnification under 50 yards.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    O.k. thanks for the advice all! Did some more checking of specs and as a result I crossed the Burris off the list. FOV concerns combined with the reticle issues did it. Did however add another one listed below. All have advantages while also having disadvantages so right now its a toss up between them so may have to mull this over before making a decision.

I don't have that particular model of Hawke scope, but I do have their now discontinued Varmint SF 2.5-10x40mm side focus scope mounted on my Marlin 1894, and it turns out that it's an excellent scope that holds its zero (each summer, well in advance of hunting season, I check it) from one hunting season to the next, and I've taken three deer with it.

Good to hear. I've found a few places within reasonable distance that carry Hawke scopes so I'm going to make some phone calls and see what they've got.

The 24mm OBJ will not effect light transition nearly as much as you think it will. In optics light is controlled by zoom just as much as OBJ lense. Thats why its rare to find a 1-? with a large OBJ lens.

Adjustment will not matter in the least to you. I would be shocked if you used 30 MOA, and even the burris has 80 MOA. 80 MOA will get you roughly 1000 yds.

Interesting. I'd guess then that lens coatings will more important then OBJ size?

Its a little over your budget # but i have and really like the leupold vx-r patrol. 1.25-4 x20. Cant really tell the difference when looking through it vs 40 mm scope imo. The fire dot is awesome in low to no light because its basicly a red dot at that point and shown up nice using spotlight as well.

Did some price checking and found some for just a bit over $400 so I added the 2-7x33 to the short list. Past experience has shown I really need more than 4x so went with that instead. Really like the firedot! I had looked at the MK AR series and crossed them off due to other factors, hadn't looked too close at the VX-R simply due to the $ factor. Also like the fact it is significantly smaller and lighter than the others I'm looking at.

I bought the Strike Eagle from Alan at A&A Optics, and so far, I am very pleased with its performance. I have no problems with my old eyes getting on target quickly and accurately, even in bright light. The furthest I have shot is at 100 yds so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but between 25 and 100 yards, I am thoroughly impressed.

I really love the true 1X magnification. Operates a lot like a red dot at 1X, only better!

Yeah, seems just about everybody who has one really likes them. I've got a couple of other Vortex scopes and really,really like them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like a 2-7X on an AR for yotes.
    Here's my old Stag rifle......and the guy that bought it.

yote.jpg

Redfield Revolutio 2-7x, duplex.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just picked up a VX3 2-8X.
    Won't work on my #1. So might send it back for parallax adjust to 50, put it on my 10/22, move the Redfield Rev off it to an AR upper.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just picked up a VX3 2-8X.
    Won't work on my #1. So might send it back for parallax adjust to 50, put it on my 10/22, move the Redfield Rev off it to an AR upper.

That's a great scope.
    I have its predecessor, dubbed "VariX-3 2.5-8x38".

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I personally have a Strike Eagle, and it is a wonderful scope to use out to 300 yards. The reticle is a little large for small targets, but it should be great for yotes! Ive had mine for 9 months or so and I think I may purchase another one!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I have a dedicated yote ar and run a Leopold vx1 3x9. Light weight, quick target acquisition on 3 power, and makes 400yd easier with the 556.
    I am not a fan of magnification under 50 yards.

Exact same scope I used to have on it, all I use it for now is testing ammo. Had the same problem, too much mag for close in, that and lack of illumination it just didn't work too good for my purposes. If I did more of my yote hunting in daylight and more open areas I would've left it on.

Looks like the Hawke is off the list now also. I found a grand total of one review of it, and that person hadn't even used it. That and the dot being a little bigger than I want is enough for me to pass.
    Also the Leupold looks like it is off also simply because the $ is not doable after replacing our well pump this week. Maybe once the bank account looks better.
    So that leaves the Strike Eagle. My biggest concern is low light performance, any comments?
    Also going to look again at a 1-4x, had a PA and looked at a couple others but didn't care for them. Any recommendations for a 1-4x with capped turrets, simple illuminated reticle, and good in low light in the $300 range? A little less magnification than I want but if the glass is good enough I think I could make it work.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Is there a specific time of year you hunt?
    I ask because I've shot rifleman with an NC Sstar scope, but later found it problematic in cold weather vs warm weather...
    If always in the same temps? I'd recommend it...
    Otherwise, I've moved to the Vortex Strike Eagle, which seems to hold it's zero in all weather. the drop compensator (as instructed) may not help you... but that's not to say you could zero it at 100 yards and do your own math with it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Is there a specific time of year you hunt?
    I ask because I've shot rifleman with an NC Sstar scope, but later found it problematic in cold weather vs warm weather...
    If always in the same temps? I'd recommend it...
    Otherwise, I've moved to the Vortex Strike Eagle, which seems to hold it's zero in all weather. the drop compensator (as instructed) may not help you... but that's not to say you could zero it at 100 yards and do your own math with it.

Weather has little to do with my predator hunting, cold, rain,snow, whatever Ms. Nature throws at me when I've got time.
    Might open my list up to a 2-7x. Had my Vortex Diamondback out this morning and found I can shoot both eyes open at 2x. So that gives me some more to look at, and previous experience with 1-4x scopes was not favorable. Really need to go someplace with a big selection and try on some of those.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have a Strike Eagle on my .300 blk SBR and while it's a gold scope, with clear optics, the reticle is way to busy for my tastes. I wanted something simple to use it as a red dot up close and be able to zoom in for distance. I'm thinking of swapping it over to my FAL or just selling it for something with a simpler dot/circle reticle kind of like an EOTech.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'll vote for the Strike Eagle. Have one on an AR with a Burris PEPR mount. Great optic for under 200 yards and the 1x is good. The reticle is a little busy; but offers a lot of sighting options.

Last edited by a moderator:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but have you considered the primary arms 1-6? If someone has experience, what do you think of them? You get the ACSS reticle and I've heard good reports. Similar price point to the strike eagle also.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    8< 8< SNIP 8< 8< Really need to go someplace with a big selection and try on some of those.
    Yeah, that place is called A&A Optics located in Liberty, Indiana. It's truly one-stop shopping when it comes to rifle optics. Stop messing around just reading scope specifications on-line and anecdotal evidence ... fill up the tank in your vehicle and go visit with Alan. We all know that you'll walk away with the best piece of glass you can get for whatever the intended purpose of your rig.

zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    More testing is needed but I was consistently getting hits on 12x20 steel silhouettes at 350 yards shoulderfiring after zeroing the Sig Romeo 4.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville

I have the Burris MTAC on a Socom 16 w/Sage EBR Chassis and it does quite well. The downsides are its weight and overall size.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom