• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I wasn't going to post, probably shouldn't now but.....
    Palmetto has 18 inch COMPLETE stainless uppers in 308 for $649 to 1000....they just had free shipping this weekend. Palmetto also has stripped lowers for $79 to $129....you will need a AR15 lower build kit for $45 from Anderson and 308 specific pins..about $14....you need an 308 specific buffer and spring unless you throw down for an adjustable gas block.
    I'm not saying some people on here are giving you bad advice but....

You quote all these PSA parts and say you've researched it but I'm doubting that. You state that you'll need a lpk and a 308 pins ($14 pins). If building this PA-10 that you're quoting all these prices for, you'll also need a larger bolt catch and mag catch. Individually they cost $15, $15, $10 and $10 respectively or buy them as a kit and its $30, so you're just as well off buying the PSA PA-10 lpk for $80.

The reason you need to buy a matched upper/lower is because there is no standard. My Palmetto receivers do not mate up with my dad's Aero receivers. The Palmetto takedown pins are too large so the Aero upper doesn't fit. The Aero lower has a very high shelf so the rear take down pin on the Palmetto upper bottoms out too soon and you can't push the pin in. Doesn't work either way.

Even "throwing down" for an adjustable gas block doesn't remove the need for the propper buffer/spring. If you don't use the right setup, the back of your gas key will run into the buffer tube pretty violently. The PA-10 setup needs an Armalite length buffer tube (longer than AR-15 carbine), H1 AR-15 buffer (308 carbine buffer is too short), and a 27 coil 308 buffer spring (AR-15 carbine spring is too small). You basically need the largest of everything. Even on an AR-15 you try to run the heaviest buffer possible (reliably). Getting an adjustable gas block to choke the gas system and then trying to compensate by running everything light is not the way to go with .308.

I'm not saying that it appears you really don't have a clue but...

...just kidding, yeah I am.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Wouldn't it be nice to just easily go from ar15 to ar10 by simply changing barrel and bcg. Too bad it doesn't work that way. Just stick with the 5.56 ar15 OP. You'll have a blast with it since it's your first ar

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    For a coyote gun - get a 16" or 18" barrel with 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist (20" + are great but they are HEAVY if you walk and call in yotes from multiple stands in one outing)
    Honestly, even a true varmint setup with a 1:12 twist wold work.

I've been hunting coyotes for 5 years - so I'm not an expert, but I've bought/sold/built a few purpose specific rifles and put some yotes down. ALL of my shots have been under 300 yards, usually under 150.
    So, while a 24" heavy bull barrel is great for bench shooting, it SUCKS to haul that thing around - it's front heavy, and just unwieldy.

Also, go easy on the optics. Some guys get long range scopes and then realize they can't see the yote that pops out 60yds in front of them through a narrow field of view. I prefer something in the 3-9x or 3-12x range, approximately. (RIght now I use a 4-16x, but that is overkill for my style of shooting/hunting) with a 40mm objective (to keep overall weight down)

I also LOVE having a bipod on my gun, or shooting sticks.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You quote all these PSA parts and say you've researched it but I'm doubting that. You state that you'll need a lpk and a 308 pins ($14 pins). If building this PA-10 that you're quoting all these prices for, you'll also need a larger bolt catch and mag catch. Individually they cost $15, $15, $10 and $10 respectively or buy them as a kit and its $30, so you're just as well off buying the PSA PA-10 lpk for $80.

The reason you need to buy a matched upper/lower is because there is no standard. My Palmetto receivers do not mate up with my dad's Aero receivers. The Palmetto takedown pins are too large so the Aero upper doesn't fit. The Aero lower has a very high shelf so the rear take down pin on the Palmetto upper bottoms out too soon and you can't push the pin in. Doesn't work either way.

Even "throwing down" for an adjustable gas block doesn't remove the need for the propper buffer/spring. If you don't use the right setup, the back of your gas key will run into the buffer tube pretty violently. The PA-10 setup needs an Armalite length buffer tube (longer than AR-15 carbine), H1 AR-15 buffer (308 carbine buffer is too short), and a 27 coil 308 buffer spring (AR-15 carbine spring is too small). You basically need the largest of everything. Even on an AR-15 you try to run the heaviest buffer possible (reliably). Getting an adjustable gas block to choke the gas system and then trying to compensate by running everything light is not the way to go with .308.

I'm not saying that it appears you really don't have a clue but...

...just kidding, yeah I am.

Lol...glad you know so much.
    Doing a custom build on 308 AR platform. I haven't experienced the compatability issues so far with my parts that you speak of and my parts prices were much cheaper...not using a Palmetto Armory anything. I just threw it out there as an example of parts pricing. Obviously, the person would have to do their own compatability research.
    I am glad you got to pat yourself on the back for what you know....little victories are important for people that don't have much else to be happy about!
    Btw, I had extra parts left over from an AR15 build kit and only the front pin needed to be longer to work....everything else fit well. Thanks for being concerned.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Wouldn't it be nice to just easily go from ar15 to ar10 by simply changing barrel and bcg. Too bad it doesn't work that way. Just stick with the 5.56 ar15 OP. You'll have a blast with it since it's your first ar

I thought smith and Wesson had addressed this? Was it a dream on my part...I seriously thought I read about something they had available.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Lol...glad you know so much.
    Doing a custom build on 308 AR platform. I haven't experienced the compatability issues so far with my parts that you speak of and my parts prices were much cheaper...not using a Palmetto Armory anything. I just threw it out there as an example of parts pricing. Obviously, the person would have to do their own compatability research.
    I am glad you got to pat yourself on the back for what you know....little victories are important for people that don't have much else to be happy about!
    Btw, I had extra parts left over from an AR15 build kit and only the front pin needed to be longer to work....everything else fit well. Thanks for being concerned.

No problem. Just trying to make sure people get accurate information and not just the random guesses you're throwing down. No worries though, everybody knew who the bad advice was coming from.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    No problem. Just trying to make sure people get accurate information and not just the random guesses you're throwing down. No worries though, everybody knew who the bad advice was coming from.

Not random guesses personal experience. If you want to have fun...go back and check your math....45 plus 30 equals 80 doing it your way....
    Read mine for content....I made the mistake of putting 308 AR in my first post. My bad. Your opinion versus mine....
    amazing.....

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    To the OP:
    There are many quality options for less that $800. If you are around the Clinton/Terre Haute area or don't mind traveling to the area send me a PM and I can give you some info on a shop that has quality AR's for around the $600 mark. You could also decide to build one in which case you can build a quality AR for less than $800 as well.

Top Bottom