• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    I recently saw a video on youtube where a guy had an AR with side sights, I assume mounted on a 45 degree angle picatinny rail. Is this a reliable BUS for a scoped AR? If anyone has had any experience shooting with with that setup I'd like to hear what you thought of them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A lot of guys run those when they have a larger scope or magnified optic, but want to be able to use irons for close in work, such as competitions, etc. Some will even run a small red dot off set if they are doing competitive match shooting. The AR is actually quite comfortable and natural to shoot canted at a 30-45 deg.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention I saw them put a set on an AR on Sons of Guns, so they must be cool.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Shoot your handgun sideways also

I do shoot my handgun weak handed with a slight cant (maybe 30 deg) to allow me to sight with the same eye as when shooting strong hand or two handed.

Also, some strong hand point shooting is done at a cant. Think about the natural position of your fist if you were to throw a tight jab punch. Your wrist will probably be positioned to where your closed fist is at 45 deg or so. Add a gun to that fist and you get the drift.

It isn't full on "gangsta" side ways, but is more comfortable and more accurate for me.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Can I ask a dumb question about these 45 deg sights? Why are they always on the right side of the rifle and not the left. I've never understood why people would mount them on the side that's going to throw brass right over their head. Tactically I think it's like waving a flag and as a competition I don't see why you'd want the brass going up into the air and being distracting when you could have had the sights on the other side and thrown the brass right into the ground. There's got to be a reason why they are all on the right side, I just don't know what it is and I'd like to know. I've considered buying a set of these for me 20" scoped AR.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Can I ask a dumb question about these 45 deg sights? Why are they always on the right side of the rifle and not the left. I've never understood why people would mount them on the side that's going to throw brass right over their head. Tactically I think it's like waving a flag and as a competition I don't see why you'd want the brass going up into the air and being distracting when you could have had the sights on the other side and thrown the brass right into the ground. There's got to be a reason why they are all on the right side, I just don't know what it is and I'd like to know. I've considered buying a set of these for me 20" scoped AR.

You ever held a rifle right-handed and tried to sight down the left side of it? Looks like a fairy trying to hold a gun. Had a buddy that was in Iraq who came home and built his AR with 45 degree sights. Said that's how all the guns in his unit were. I sighted down it myself. Appears very easy to work from. Very natural. You can always mount a brass deflector if it interferes with your shooting. That's my next purchase from Amazon.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You ever held a rifle right-handed and tried to sight down the left side of it? Looks like a fairy trying to hold a gun. Had a buddy that was in Iraq who came home and built his AR with 45 degree sights. Said that's how all the guns in his unit were. I sighted down it myself. Appears very easy to work from. Very natural. You can always mount a brass deflector if it interferes with your shooting. That's my next purchase from Amazon.

That's the thing, I've held my rifle both ways and tried to envision using 45 deg sights on either side and it didn't seem more natural one way or the other.

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Mounting them on the left for right handed shooters isn't feasible due to left arm being in the way of sight picture. Harder to transition between targets due to optics being in the way on right and left arm in way on the left. Plus awkward right wrist position, much easier to shoot palm down, then palm up. IMHO :twocents:

Last edited:

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I put a set of Dueck Defense rapid transition sights on my precision AR and love them. I sighted mine in at 50yrds. I let my father shoot it and he couldn't believe how smooth and easy it was to transition and shoot using the angled sights. I will be getting another set for my LR308 when I get some extra play $$

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just a side note, when mount these on something like a SCAR 17, as I have, shooting more than a dozen or so rounds at a 45degree angle can leave you with a headache.... lol.

If I was a gamer or involved in combat, I'd go with a red dot over the iron sights but I can't see putting a red dot on something I'll rarely if ever use.

They are fairly intuitive to use and it's hard to miss a man sized target at 100 yards or less with peep sights, even with a rapid transition so practice isn't going to take much muscle memory to learn, since you are already accustomed to using the peep setup. IMO anyway, I'm not a training just my observations on them YMMV.

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    That's the thing, I've held my rifle both ways and tried to envision using 45 deg sights on either side and it didn't seem more natural one way or the other.

I just can't picture that. Canting the top of the rifle to the left is like holding your arm out palm down. That "seems" right to me. Canting the top of the rifle to the right is like holding your palm up. That fees much more contorted and un-natural to me. If my elbow is already tucked in, I have to either twist my wrist to push it in and sacrifice a good grip/trigger placement, or push my elbow forward to get it in front of my body.

Bottom line is try it and do what works for you!

Top Bottom