• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grube555

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    My wife is going to get me started on an AR pistol for my b-day. I am looking at lower, but I am not sure the fine line between a SBR and pistol. I know you can never put a stock on a lower w/o a stamp, but how do you get started? I have heard some lowers are marked as rifle so they can never be a pistol. Is this true? Can I walk into any gun store and buy a stripped lower and build my own pistol as long as I tell the gun shop when I am buying it? What exactly do I have to ask or tell when buying a stripped lower to build a pistol.

Thanks for any information

:patriot:

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Following this one because I'm starting down the same path you are on.
    I'm still early in the research stage, but it's my understanding that a pistol requires a pistol buffer tube. With my level of experience I'm pretty sure my interpretation is worth less than 0.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Stripped lowers are OTHER unless it was previously purchased as pistol/rifle

once you buy it as an OTHER you can make it whatever you want as long as you follow rules once you make it

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Stripped lowers are OTHER unless it was previously purchased as pistol/rifle

once you buy it as an OTHER you can make it whatever you want as long as you follow rules once you make it
    I agree with the OTHER as above, you can build the lower to a pistol then change it to a rifle w/16" barrel, but you can't change it back to a pistol unless you SBR it first.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Stripped virgin lower built as a pistol FIRST can be then built into a rifle and then BACK to a pistol for a few years now. I posted the ATF link in a thread about a week ago. When buying your lower the FFL should be marking it as an "other" on the 4473. Make sure they do.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    When buying your lower the FFL should be marking it as an "other" on the 4473. Make sure they do.

I am in the process of building an AR pistol myself. mvician hit the nail square on the head here. Be sure that your lower was marked as "Other" on your 4473. Indiana does not require AR15 pistol receivers to be marked "Pistol Only." Just don't build a pistol out of that which used to be a rifle; again, looking back at your 4473 as reference...

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    What if I'm not the original owner of the lower, or I bought it used in a pistol platform? Is there a way to find out what the lower was marked/bought as?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    What if I'm not the original owner of the lower, or I bought it used in a pistol platform? Is there a way to find out what the lower was marked/bought as?

In my opinion:

Safe: Call the manufacturer of the lower and have them run the serial number. Have them tell you if it was sold as a stripped lower or as a completed rifle.

Safer: Contact your local BATFE office and voice your concerns to them. Get all questions & answers in writing.

Safest: Order a new, stripped lower and be sure your FFL marks your Form 4473 as "other." I know this defeats the purpose of the OP, but it is the safest way to know that you aren't breaking any laws by assembling your new AR15 pistol.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Ask the person you bought it from?

Not that it would ever, ever, ever happen, but if you let's say you have an AR pistol built from a lower that was originally sold as a rifle. Let's say the guy you bought the lower from told you it was never a rifle. Now, let's say you run into BATFE one day at a public range, and let's say they decide pick on you. The answer, "Well the guy that I bought the lower from said it was never sold as a rifle!" (even though in reality it WAS) is probably not a legit answer. But like I said, it will probably never, ever, ever happen. Just like someone being audited for 922R compliance of their SKS....

Take the time to do things legally. Especially since you're asking questions on the interwebz. (Obllama is prob watching...)

Top Bottom