• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Would the gun owners of Indiana know if any gun shops that have a vise block in stock? If I cant find one, Im wittling it out of wood or Delrin, because Im cheap.:D

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I used a scrap piece of 2x4. Just use the dimensions off of your mag and go at it. I used a jig saw to get it into shape then just sanded it and made it look nice. It holds the gun solid and looks nice. The best thing about it....it didnt cost me a penny. About a half hours worth of time and your good to go.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I used a scrap piece of 2x4. Just use the dimensions off of your mag and go at it. I used a jig saw to get it into shape then just sanded it and made it look nice. It holds the gun solid and looks nice. The best thing about it....it didnt cost me a penny. About a half hours worth of time and your good to go.

Was just looking to hold the upper to install a quad rail but may do as u suggest, thanks for the input.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Buy or borrow one, don't be cheap like I've seen a lot of guys do and block it with wood in a vise. Seen too many pictures of crushed or tweaked uppers from guys doing this.

Then they post questions like this.......

"Why is my BCG not cycling? It seems to be binding."

or

"My upper cracked. WTF?"

When questioned about how was it built, they finally tell the story of how they didn't have a vise block and "made something" to hold the upper. :n00b:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Update: Clamped upper in vise squeezing down on flat-top rail and bottom of upper using a couple pieces of ABS plastic as soft jaws. Removed barrell nut using 7" angle grinder wrench, installed quad rail and new trigger gaurd worked like a charm. Thanks for the input fellas..

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Buy or borrow one, don't be cheap like I've seen a lot of guys do and block it with wood in a vise. Seen too many pictures of crushed or tweaked uppers from guys doing this.

Then they post questions like this.......

"Why is my BCG not cycling? It seems to be binding."

or

"My upper cracked. WTF?"

When questioned about how was it built, they finally tell the story of how they didn't have a vise block and "made something" to hold the upper. :n00b:

same thing with people failing to use the insert. The block alone can still distory an upper.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side

+1, I have built a lot of uppers and it's worth it just to not be cussing and bagging your fingers up. Not to mention screwing up a good gun.

Z

Top Bottom