• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    see, now we got to start all this up again.

Maybe if I took a certain co-worker to lunch someday, he could explain to me how I could go about finding a good AK.

I know I may care about ergo and accuracy down the road, but the gun I want right now is a SHTF gun.

Guess I'm back to undecided again, lol.

JT, just build a KISS AR15 for Running and Gunning and possible SHTF. I'll get you edjumacated on AK's at said Running and Gunning and get you some trigger time. And then, if you like the AK, I say save some pennies and buy one. You have a good background with the AR. It's a good, solid platform to start with.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    JT, just build a KISS AR15 for Running and Gunning and possible SHTF. I'll get you edjumacated on AK's at said Running and Gunning and get you some trigger time. And then, if you like the AK, I say save some pennies and buy one. You have a good background with the AR. It's a good, solid platform to start with.

:patriot:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    AR/AK Could it be the best of both worlds?
    They are a bit pricey, but these days what piston upper isn't?
    Primary Weapons Systems out of Boise, ID

pwsmk114762l1wf.jpg

The MK114 was developed by Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) as a significant product improvement over the standard M4 carbine. Developed specifically for infantry and law enforcement operations and utilizing our proven long stroke piston system, this weapon is as reliable as the AK47 that it was designed after.

Significant improvements have been made over both the direct gas impingement operating system and previous offerings of piston-driven operating systems. The Stainless Steel, Isonite QPQ treated 1:8 twist barrel provides unmatched accuracy and barrel longevity. The product improvements made by PWS have addressed reliability and performance issues as well as reduced carrier tilt, cam pin wear and carrier bounce. In addition, we have one of the lightest systems on the market today!

An innovative hand guard system utilizes a proprietary non-free float system that allows the end user or unit armorer to replace individual rails as needed without removing the barrel, barrel nut or even other rails. This system allows the user to attach numerous Picatinny rail-mounted devices such as sights, lights, and laser aiming devices.

The PWS proprietary operating system utilizes an operating rod that is attached to the carrier and a floating head piston that is attached to the operating rod. The MK1 series is built to be a true combat carbine. With no unnecessary gas adjustments and only one moving assembly, this is the most rugged, simple and versatile piston operating system available.

The MK1 series is available as a complete rifle or as a complete upper receiver for use on existing M4/M16 style lower receivers.

The MK114 features a pinned FSC30 muzzle device that brings the overall length to 16.1" and is thus not considered a short barreled rifle.
    mk1_cutaway.jpg

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Having planned war in Europe, it was war in urban environment. There are town, after town, not that much of open terrain. AK is not accurate on distances greater than 150 meters. Bullet is fairly week.

The shooters at Gunsite did demo many years ago. Under simulated war conditions, even the M-16 was not reliable at 300m. Col Cooper refernces it in his book, To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    M-4...100 yds.
    AR-15..200 yds
    AR 24" varmint 400 yds.
    My guns, my limits. All will hit at greater distance but that is where I feel comfortable with them.
    AK's/SKS good at 150 yds and fair a bit farther out.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I love both equally... kind of like kids! but it depends on what you are looking to use it for. If you are punching holes in paper, either is great. If you are looking to swap parts out all the time, go with an AR. Smaller varmits, I think AR has better longer range accuracy, so would be a more humane death.

If it is some sort of home defense, my thoughts lean to the AK as the 5.56, by many accounts, not mine, is not a reliable stopper, where I don't think any one could argue that 7.62 of any length is going to work well. I personnaly think there are better home defense options.

My bottom line is you will LOVE either one!

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Own the best of both worlds. As said before in this thread, you can have both to capitalize on their particular strengths, where/when they apply.

You can buy or build both, still at a acceptable cost.

I personally own and use both rifle styles. I like having choices.

These AK vs./or AR threads are always fun to read. lol There is good advice and information to absorb and use here.

Good luck in your choice.

Last edited:

nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    AK definately you have cheaper ammo and they will feed it all. If you like the smaller bullet get a 74, plus building them creates many varieties. An Ar is an AR you have a m4 or a regular size.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom