AR15 action slammed shut on Bore sighter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I just bought a new NcStar brass bore sighter for my 5.56 NATO AR15 rifle.
    I had the action cocked open to slide the bore sighter into place in the chamber.
    After checking the aim I tried to remove the boresighter. It was tight so I tapped the butt stock lightly on the floor. Well the action slammed shut on the bore sighter.

I opened the action and the bore sighter was ejected like a spent round.

The bore sighter is fine but my concern is my rifle. Could I have damaged my chamber or rifle in any way?

How are you supposed to chamber the bore sighter to avoid this happening again?

louielouie :n00b:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just bought a new NcStar brass bore sighter for my 5.56 NATO AR15 rifle.
    I had the action cocked open to slide the bore sighter into place in the chamber.
    After checking the aim I tried to remove the boresighter. It was tight so I tapped the butt stock lightly on the floor. Well the action slammed shut on the bore sighter.

I opened the action and the bore sighter was ejected like a spent round.

The bore sighter is fine but my concern is my rifle. Could I have damaged my chamber or rifle in any way?

How are you supposed to chamber the bore sighter to avoid this happening again?

louielouie :n00b:

I don't see how. It is brass, therefore should be no different than a standard round of ammunition. Besides, if you can use steel-cased ammunition without damage, this should be gentle by comparison.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Pretty sure you want to sight it in with the bolt "in battery" to make sure it's seated properly. You probably just want to avoid letting the bolt slam forward on it, delicate laser and all that.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I don't see how. It is brass, therefore should be no different than a standard round of ammunition. Besides, if you can use steel-cased ammunition without damage, this should be gentle by comparison.

IndyDave1776;
    Thanks for the input. I looked over the bore sighter and saw no signs of trauma, so maybe I got lucky this time.
    I have used only brass cased ammo so far. I hope to keep it that way.

OneBadV8,
    Good suggestion for next time. I don't know why it didn't even occur to me this time.

When I get time to drop the bolt and carrier I will inspect the bolt face and ejector.

Thanks to both of you,

louielouie

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reality of this is you are not supposed to drop the bolt group (carrier) on a chambered round of any kind. A friend puts his bore sitter in a mag and gently lets it find the chamber as the gun was designed. I could be wrong but damage could result if you continue this practice.
    Yes, the gun needs to be in battery to get everything lined up right. JMHO

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    The reality of this is you are not supposed to drop the bolt group (carrier) on a chambered round of any kind. A friend puts his bore sitter in a mag and gently lets it find the chamber as the gun was designed. I could be wrong but damage could result if you continue this practice.

Churchmouse,

In case you mis-understood I did not do it on purpose. I know better than to let the action slam shut on anything other than an empty chamber.
    It was just an accident and I wanted to find out if I might have damaged my rifle. I will not do this again.

louielouie

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse,

In case you mis-understood I did not do it on purpose. I know better than to let the action slam shut on anything other than an empty chamber.
    It was just an accident and I wanted to find out if I might have damaged my rifle. I will not do this again.

louielouie

Sorry, no slam intended as I was dealing with 3 issue while typing. I did not intend to have a stern tone. Apology's.....

I was only attempting to explain how I was shown.

green55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Marion County

This is a good suggestion, but if you don't want to load the sighter into a mag, you can do the following for a similar effect:

lock the bolt to the rear, tilt the rifle forward, slip the boresight into the receiver through the ejection port, hold the charging handle back while you depress the bolt catch release and GENTLY guide the bolt forward and onto the boresight

It may seem like a lot, but this is a good way to be gentle on your electronics without having to fiddle with a mag.

Top Bottom