AR15 free float handguard recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    When I built my Frankengun a few years back, the only free float handguard I could find was a Hogue, but the nut was hard to attach. The guard itself has no mounting system, being simply an aluminum cylinder.

It's an AR with 20" barrel, rifle length gas system, and with a low-profile clamp-on gas block (maybe that needs changing as well). Intend to mount a suppressor from time to time.

I am looking for a recommendation for a FF handguard that will work with a standard bbl nut, and with some standard means of attaching accessory rails. So much stuff out there with proprietary features. Just looking for something more practical than what I have and not exotic or 'innovative'.

Any suggestions appreciated.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I know you said you want it to work with a standard barrel nut, but that's pretty limiting.

I like the Aero Precision Atlas S-One. It uses a proprietary barrel nut, but comes with it, as well as shims. It's lightweight, slim enough for a comfortable grip, and only has rail where you need it. It's mlock so you can add rail sections wherever you want them. The hardware that secures the handguard to the barrel nut is well designed and very secure. It's also pretty reasonably priced for what you get. All around good product.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I know you said you want it to work with a standard barrel nut, but that's pretty limiting.

I like the Aero Precision Atlas S-One. It uses a proprietary barrel nut, but comes with it, as well as shims. It's lightweight, slim enough for a comfortable grip, and only has rail where you need it. It's mlock so you can add rail sections wherever you want them. The hardware that secures the handguard to the barrel nut is well designed and very secure. It's also pretty reasonably priced for what you get. All around good product.
    As I'm building on an Aero Precision upper and lower, this is attractive.

My main concern is avoiding a repeat of the Hogue nut currently on my rifle. I practically destroyed the tool installing it (bad materials and design, I think).

Last edited:

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville

I have a few of the Aero and they are great. I used them on a few AR9 builds for my wife and I.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My main concern is avoiding a repeat of the Hogue nut currently on my rifle. I practically destroyed the tool installing it (bad materials and design, I think).
    I've not had that problem with the Aero. I've installed 3 of them now, and the tool (included with the handguard) is basically like a large crow's foot and and the teeth engage the barrel nut very positively. It's well made, and I've not come close to deforming any of them during the install (and believe me, I'm good at breaking tools, lol). Get yourself a torque wrench, make sure the tool is square to the nut, keep your torque within spec, and you'll have no problems.

I too have struggled with cheap handguards and barrel nuts in the past, but the Aero design is much better and easier to install properly without boogering anything up.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I like the ALG Defense rails. Gotta buy their $5 tool, but easy to install. And Geissele quality at a great price. Hard to find in stock right now though

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I haven't built any with Midwest gear yet, but I have built three rifles with ALG EMR handguards (two rifles and one pistol) and have been very impressed with them. One of them is on my multigun rifle and has worked out very well, and was fairly inexpensive when I got it.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I just bought, and received a 15" handguard for my AR 10 build.
    It was from a new company called Mentium.
    It is very nice.
    It's light, solid, mounts good and tight, and is inexpensive, as in $75.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just bought, and received a 15" handguard for my AR 10 build.
    It was from a new company called Mentium.
    It is very nice.
    It's light, solid, mounts good and tight, and is inexpensive, as in $75.
    They are Chinese. Make sure you pull the rail every once in a while and check the barrel nut for cracking.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Zev, geissele, hodge, centurion, lantac,
    How did you like that one Seekins Precision? It has held up well for me, and although the diameter is massive it's still okay to hold thumb-over, and it's probably big enough to nest a suppressor inside if the barrel was shorter. Worth replacing? Hasn't given me any issues and not planning on mounting any IR laser or anything that needs to hold a zero

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    How did you like that one Seekins Precision? It has held up well for me, and although the diameter is massive it's still okay to hold thumb-over, and it's probably big enough to nest a suppressor inside if the barrel was shorter. Worth replacing? Hasn't given me any issues and not planning on mounting any IR laser or anything that needs to hold a zero
    Its been a while since I've had a seekins rail. I don't have anything against seekins at all. They are on the fatter end of the spectrum, but they are a quality product

Last edited:
    Top Bottom