• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    Olympic Arms makes one of these, which I was thinking about for making an AR "SMG" carbine with a slidefire stock so I can avoid the class 3 business. :ar15:

Anyhow, I have heard of case heads on 7.62x39 being so large as to create strength/durability issues in AR15 size bolts, and I can't imagine that the 45ACP case head is any smaller, so I am wondering if anybody knows if the Olympic 45ACP upper has the same issues as the 7.62x39 are reputed to have, or if the uppers have any problems in general?

I believe that 40S&W or 10mm would theoretically make a more capable carbine/SMG, but I want to stick with a caliber that I already use.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The Olympic Arms 45 ACP uppers are blowback operated, they do not have a "conventional" DI bolt/bolt carrier assembly.

The only thing that you are going to break on one of those uppers, maybe, is the ejector spring.

Ron Williams builds 45 ACP DI uppers, but I haven't heard him say anything about bolt breakage - likely due to the comparatively low operating pressure.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Would you consider a Bushmaster upper? I've seen them at PSS(Plainfield Shootng Suppiles). Personally I trust BM more than Olympic...just me though.

Top Bottom