• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I read somewhere that if you loosen the carrier key screws ( on an AR15) for any reason, that you should replace them with new screws and torque to specs.

I know when torqueing head-bolts on a car that the screws stretch each time you tighten them, and I assume the carrier key screws stretch as well. :popcorn:

I ordered some new screws from Brownells but they did not fit, so I re-torqued my old screws to 60 inch pounds and staked them in 3 places.

I ordered a new key and screws from PSA, so I have them in case the old ones start to loosen or ? :D

Do you think I need to change out the screws as soon as I get the ones from PSA? :dunno:

louielouie

p.s. Before you get on me about the torque value of 60 inch pounds on the carrier key screws; when I started looking I found a range from 30 to 35 inch pounds all the way up to 85-90 inch pounds.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If they are properly torqued and staked you should be good to go.

I had the screws on my Olympic AR carrier key loosen after about 2k rounds and cause cycling problems. I retorqued them and staked them and its been another 3000rds since. No issues.

Top Bottom