• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The only real practical reason I could see would be for hunting, or if SHTF it may be handy to not have a rifle stand out being completely black. If you really had to, you could just use two or three cans of camo spray paint and you'd have a camo rifle. True the spray paint won't hold up like a duracoat, but as it wears away it seems to be able to blend in more.

I get mixed feelings on painting guns, because even though the finish may be a positive thing, it's not going to add any street value to your gun. Nutnfancy makes a good arguement for painting your gun and I think his thoughts sound reasonable.

I've never done it, but I am considering giving it a try on a 10-22 I have. Right now I just have to decide if I'm going to put the tech sights on it before giving it a rattle can job.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I think overall it matters little from a tactical standpoint. In the field gear gets dirty quickly and finish wears, etc etc. Spray paint it, easy and cheap to redo. I suppose it depends really how you view the rifle. As an old Jarhead, my fighting rifles are just tools and practical aspects are most important to me. If I thought I was gonna be in a firefight in a circus, I would spray paint it pink to match the cotton candy and not think a thing about it. LOL, being a little cute, but still just making my point. If however you view the rifle as a prized possession or something to possibly re-sale later, then of course the answer will be different. I have a mix of such guns, some to me are pure business and some are for show. Rarely are they the same guns. Just my 2 cents.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Has anyone thought about hydrographics?
    Slangone6.jpg

Slangone1.jpg

thole4.jpg

Reaper woods camo looks cool
    Thought about doing the 458 socom in new A-TACS camo
    ATACS5.jpg

litewatefitr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    If you wanna paint your rifle, I say go for it. Heck, go to home depot and get the krylon camo paint, research YouTube, and when you get bored with it, the rattle can paint comes off easy enough.... then you can start over! Cheap, effective, unique. Besides, people like ARs for the ability to change the around constantly...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mother Nature uses camouflage and so can you. The world is your canvas and your imagination is your only limitation, so paint man paint. Good Luck.

Remember, if you drop it on the forest floor, I'm not helping you hunt for it. :>)

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Black rifles stand out like mad, especially when the rest of the person is camouflaged. An AR15 silhouette is one of the most recognizable shapes in the world. When you see one floating through the woods it usually catches your attention pretty fast. I just haven't gotten around to painting mine brown yet. :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    ARs beg to be rattle canned. Never understood why all plastic guns have to be black anyway. They have been able to make colored plastics since WW2 at least.

Top Bottom