• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Hey everyone I have tried the searches and have come up short. I am beginning my first ever ar project. I am a handgun guy and decided to start with an ar9. I have heard so many options and think I have it narrowed down to aero precision epc. My problem is I am just overwhelmed with options I decided to just stay mill spec so I can get the basics down. But i want to know Would you do a full kit feom aero precision or stick with the upper and lower and use a different barrel, bolt carrier group, and buffer. I like to buy local but thw only things available seem to be grizzly tactical which I know nothing about. Also what tools do I need and which part needs to be torque tested or is that only ar15. Any help please and thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.k.AR9 is a little different than the standard 5.56/.223 build.
    Not necessarily more difficult, but different.

My first suggestion is, use a 9mm dedicated lower.
    Do NOT use a standard lower and a magazine block.
    Not worth the potential headaches in my opinion.
    Ymmv.

9mm lowers generally use either Glock style mags or Colt style mags.
    I chose the Colt style.
    Ymmv
    Aero Precision is a great company, but if you buy a kit, you will probably get an "entry level" barrel, unless you can upgrade or custom design your rifle/pistol.

You will need the standard AR build tools, but AR9's use a different buffer, hammer, bolt...

Others with more information will follow I'm sure.
    Again, Aero is a great company.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Aero isn’t the way to go right now. They don’t have all their parts perfected. I built one out of all Aero parts and haven’t had any issues but multiple guys have. You can find a lot of info on Facebook in the Aero EPC owners group.

I’d skip the Aero barrels, buffers and springs at least. Most guys are saying to get Macon Armory parts.

I was excited about this build but by the time I got all the Aero parts guys were posting the bad reports. I wish I would’ve just sold the parts and not built it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Aero isn’t the way to go right now. They don’t have all their parts perfected. I built one out of all Aero parts and haven’t had any issues but multiple guys have. You can find a lot of info on Facebook in the Aero EPC owners group.

I’d skip the Aero barrels, buffers and springs at least. Most guys are saying to get Macon Armory parts.

I was excited about this build but by the time I got all the Aero parts guys were posting the bad reports. I wish I would’ve just sold the parts and not built it.
    Wow!
    I'm surprised.
    I don't have any Aero, but had heard great things about them.
    I actually built mine on a Palmetto State Armory lower, Colt pattern.
    It has run great, but I hear availability is an issue most everywhere.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Wow!
    I'm surprised.
    I don't have any Aero, but had heard great things about them.
    I actually built mine on a Palmetto State Armory lower, Colt pattern.
    It has run great, but I hear availability is an issue most everywhere.
    I just think they rushed it. I’ve heard different lots of barrels have different feed cones and some don’t really have much at all. Their 9mm EPC buffer comes with a 308 buffer spring. It has some serious spring tension in my opinion. It has to be slamming the round into the barrel with some force. I think they’ll get it right and I’ve heard they are warrantying parts.

My first 9mm AR was with a spikes mag block and colt patterned mags. I was pretty happy with it until the day it came loose and I decided to buy a dedicated lower. I like the look of the PSA traditional looking lower so I bought one. Couldn’t be happier and I’ve only ever seen it in stock once since I got mine. I’d like to have a few more for sure.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just think they rushed it. I’ve heard different lots of barrels have different feed cones and some don’t really have much at all. Their 9mm EPC buffer comes with a 308 buffer spring. It has some serious spring tension in my opinion. It has to be slamming the round into the barrel with some force. I think they’ll get it right and I’ve heard they are warrantying parts.

My first 9mm AR was with a spikes mag block and colt patterned mags. I was pretty happy with it until the day it came loose and I decided to buy a dedicated lower. I like the look of the PSA traditional looking lower so I bought one. Couldn’t be happier and I’ve only ever seen it in stock once since I got mine. I’d like to have a few more for sure.
    Is that a dedicated lower?

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Ok that's why I asked I just wasn't sure as this is my 1st build I want parts that work well and fit together properly because I wouldn't know differently

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I guess the other obvious thing is to buy a complete one and take it all apart to get to know the inner workings but was exited about building my own. I think I have only shot an ar15 one time 5+ years ago

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The lowers are the fun part for me.
    Buy a stripped AR9 lower from PSA, a lower parts kit, and a complete upper assembly.
    It's an easy way to familiarize yourself with the platform and you'll be up and running in around an hour.
    Not too many specialty tools needed but you will need a good roll pin punch set, and a barrel nut wrench.

Two or three pieces of electrical tape comes in handy to help prevent scratches on the lower receiver when you install the bolt catch.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    So something like this from psa plus a wrench and I won't need the vice block and such to get the barrel on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220208-091528_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20220208-091528_Chrome.jpg
      145.4 KB · Views: 8

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    My boss bought a foxtrot mike ar9. I gotta say I was really impressed. Built solid and really accurate. Takes the glock mags. He got is from aim surplus and came with one of their 3.5lb triggers. Really smooth

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Imho being your first i would get a complete upper and lower and then decide what you would like to upgrade. Makes it easier to understand platform, again just my opinion.
    Foxtrot Mike makes a very good AR9 for the price. I bought a complete Spikes dedicated lower with lrbho since Foxtrot Mike didnt offer a lrbho lower like I wanted at the time and put a Foxtrot Mike complete side charging upper on it. It's a Glock mag setup and doubt I could be happier. It eats everything I feed it and have had zero issues.
    My buddy shot mine and he bought a complete Foxtrot Mike setup the very next day and he is very happy with his and hasn't had a single issue either.
    FWIW, a binary trigger makes it extremely fun to shoot but not necessary.
    Good luck in you decision and have fun with whatever you get.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    9mm ars are much harder to diagnose and build right than mil spec ar. There is no such thing as standard when it comes to 9mm ar. They've all required a good deal of tuning to get right. I really suggest just getting a scorpion or mpx to most users. Building if you have help and access to someone who knows wtf they are doing. Most ar "builders" don't have a clue and have even less clue when it comes to blowback.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    9mm ars are much harder to diagnose and build right than mil spec ar. There is no such thing as standard when it comes to 9mm ar. They've all required a good deal of tuning to get right. I really stiffest just getting a scorpion or mpx to most users. Building if you have help and access to someone who knows wtf they are doing. Most ar "builders" don't have a clue and have even less clue when it comes to blowback.
    I can't disagree with your logic, but I did have a different experience.
    I had previously built a couple of standard AR 15 lowers prior to the AR9 build, but by no means an expert.

I ordered the stripped AR9 lower from PSA and a lower parts kit.
    The only issue I had was empty cases ejecting.
    As I said, some previous experience, but not a lot.
    It still only took me about 5 minutes to diagnose the problem as a bent ejector (factory installed).
    I used a small Crescent wrench to bend the ejector not even 1/8" and the problem was solved.
    The gun runs as advertised and chews up all brands/ profiles of projectiles.

I couldn't be happier.
    Ymmv

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    9mm ars are much harder to diagnose and build right than mil spec ar. There is no such thing as standard when it comes to 9mm ar. They've all required a good deal of tuning to get right. I really suggest just getting a scorpion or mpx to most users. Building if you have help and access to someone who knows wtf they are doing. Most ar "builders" don't have a clue and have even less clue when it comes to blowback.
    Mpx are just to much for me. The scorpion is ok but not really helpful when trying to learn the setup of building. Cmmg was the other interesting one I saw but again was looking to break into the ar style market with ammo I already have available as prices are still high from what I see

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've fixed enough of them to give the advice i gave. Shameless plug for my cheap cmmg ar9 build parts in the classifieds since you want an ar9 still.

But id still suggest saving the money for a few more months and getting an mpx. And I'm saying that as someone who really wants to sell that lower and barrel lol.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I've fixed enough of them to give the advice i gave. Shameless plug for my cheap cmmg ar9 build parts in the classifieds since you want an ar9 still.

But id still suggest saving the money for a few more months and getting an mpx. And I'm saying that as someone who really wants to sell that lower and barrel lol.
    I have looked at that deal A few times. I thought an ar9 would be easier than an ar15 because of all the gas block issues I hear about. I have a guy I work with who has built 7 ar's and he offered tools and his blocks and advice but he doesn't know what parts would be best so I turned here. Appreciate all the advice

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have looked at that deal A few times. I thought an ar9 would be easier than an ar15 because of all the gas block issues I hear about. I have a guy I work with who has built 7 ar's and he offered tools and his blocks and advice but he doesn't know what parts would be best so I turned here. Appreciate all the advice

No, just the opposite. 9mm AR's are very finicky from numerous aspects. First being that the AR platform was never intended to be anything close to a blowback operation in a handgun cartridge.

Even when you have your AR9 built and running well, with premium parts, it is very subject to failure from any little change in ammo, temperature, wear, heat etc. Even top tier competitors frequently have less than stellar reliability.

Much better to buy a proven propose built 9mm carbine, like listed above.

Build yourself an AR or three though, in 5.56. Use good parts, go slow and study your way through it, then it will go together like an erector set. Icing on the cake is that good parts resell well, be it in a whole gun or by themselves.

Top Bottom