• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Had the GSG and didnt like the thing,, I couldnt get rid of that effn smell LOL. Just seems they are all the same( cheap pot metal). I know the Browning is def different (considerably smaller). Is there a scale 22 1911 that is a notch above

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Besides plinking, what would one do with a .22lr 1911?

Good question, but I generally Like to actually hit the target I'm shooting at.
    Kind of a real "Hit-N-miss" scenario.
    That, and feeding is an issue.

So, if you don't mind a gun that doesn't feed reliably, and may or may not hit your intended target, then I guess the Chiappa 1911 would be right in your wheel house.

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    I can't really speak on this, but here's what I know. I shot the Browning Black Label .380. And it was remarkable. It was a very outstanding shooter and the functions were positive. Grip safety, manual safety, and slide lock were excellent.

The .380 and the .22 are the same size. My guess is the .22 Browning 1911 is going to be nice as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had heard the GSG's were the ones to get. You might also try a conversion kit, although it may cost you as much as a dedicated gun. I know Advantage Arms and others make them. I have not used an AA 1911 kit, but have used their Glock conversion kits and they work well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a factory .22LR kit from Kimber I've had for a long time. It's a dependable tack driver and shoots any .22LR I feed it.
    I can't think of any failure of any kind out of it.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    I've had the Puma, Chiappa, GSG, Sig and the Browning. Also had a Llama XV which is modeled after the 1911. Out of all of those, the best was the Browning. Never one failure and very accurate. Really wish I would of kept that one. But they are way overpriced. The second best was the Llama XV. It is a smaller version just like the Browning. It was a fantastic gun as well. Of the four fullsize I would rate them GSG, Sig, Chiappa and Puma. Best value is the GSG. The Sig is good, but again your paying for the name only. You have to use HV ammo in most of these for good functioning and accuracy. I have a Ruger MK1 now. I've had all the variants of those as well. I think they are probably the best .22lr pistol all around. Plinking, target shooting, hunting, etc. Plus there are all kinds of upgrades for them. Just my experience.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've had the GSG and the Sig (GSG made), plus shot the Browning. The Browning didn't feel right in my hand, but shot well. IMO, the extra little for the Sig branded is worth the money. When feeling the differences side by side, the Sig has a better fit, finish, and feel of the trigger / grip safety.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned a few GSG's and still have one in the safe. It is the teaching tool. Hand gun 101 if you will. Lady's and kids love it. I put a fair sized mid grade red dot on it so new shooters can get the feel of ringing the steel. It puts smiles on so many faces. Well worth owning it.

It has never missed a beat. Groups moderately well and beats the steel reliably.
    For the money it is an OK piece.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I wouldn't wish a Chiappa 1911-22 on my worst enemy, but the GSG 1911-22 is magnitudes greater in fit, finish and overall quality. The Browning is classy for a .22 lr 1911, but I can't get used to the diminutive size... I might pick one up for my 11-year old daughter for he small hands.

This is a video I did a few years ago when the GSG1911 was new to the market, as a review of its accuracy and durability, and I think it goes a long way in dispelling the OP's opinion of a cheap pot metal gun. The round count at the time of review was more than 18,000, and sold it with more than 30,000 rounds down the pipe with much more life left in the old girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJE87Gd86M

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I have owned a few GSG's and still have one in the safe. It is the teaching tool. Hand gun 101 if you will. Lady's and kids love it. I put a fair sized mid grade red dot on it so new shooters can get the feel of ringing the steel. It puts smiles on so many faces. Well worth owning it.

It has never missed a beat. Groups moderately well and beats the steel reliably.
    For the money it is an OK piece.

I looked at one (liked the price), and opted for a Colt (Walther) because the GSG had a tiny screw on the side of the slide that needs to be removed in order to strip and clean. The Colt/Walther breaks down much like a regular 1911. I could see that screw falling off the table and rolling to god-knows-where. Curious regarding how you deal with that aspect of the GSG - did you buy a ton of extra screws?

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Can't see the screw being an issue, but to each his own. I have contenders and encores that have forend screws and hinge pins to break down and clean. Lever guns with a screw in the lever you remove to clean. Never seem to have parts flying around the room when cleaning or worki g on them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom