• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Foodman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    I an getting ready to start my first build. Is the billet lower worth the cost? I am looking at the Spikes stripped billet lower. I am building this as a long range AR15 and plan on keeping it. I would like to hear what you think?

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    No, billet metal is not as strong as forged. For this reason, billet needs to be thicker to have the same strength as forged. So billet lowers are not as strong, are heavier and cost much more. The only plus they have is looks. If you want the look of billet with the strength forged, and don't mind the billet cost, look at Noveske's new forged lower.

New Noveske Forged lower, with Pics! More pics pg 2. - M4Carbine.net Forums

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    a lower is just a housing for the fire control group and magazine...if you like the looks of the billet lowers ( I do) don't let the issue of "not a strong as forged" stop you.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    But high end sports cars usually weigh less J. If you like the look and don’t mind the strength, cost and weight difference, get it. If I wanted to shell out the coin for a lower based on looks, I would get that Noveske. The look of billet but strength of forged

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They're making polymer ones now, not that I would buy one; a billet shouldn't be a problem. The term "billet" seems to get thrown around with metal parts as a marketing effort as much as anything. I don't think most people understand what it means, it's just a cool term they can use.

sant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Advantages...none. As for being weaker than forging, has any one ever seen a broken one?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The exact same geometry would be stronger forged than if machined from billet, but the correct geometry would be different for each process anyway. I have no doubts that the billet lowers are plenty strong enough. It is worth noting that if the geometry used to machine the lower out of a billet of aluminum is not a good design, the billet lower is more likely to suffer from stress fractures than a forged lower.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    After several hundred rounds of 50 bmg being launched off of one of my AR lowers and it showing no wear I would say what it is made of isn't that important. The only thing that really matters is if the lower is machined correctly. The design is such that the lower isn't really stressed at all.

Top Bottom