Are Craftsman tools pretty much all Chinese now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Midget wrenches? What's the torque spec for midgets anyhow? I bet Skulldaddy knows... :): Although I'm guessing he likes his midgets a little on the loose side.

I think we used to call those ignition wrenches. That is a hard thing to find any more. Of course cars have not had breaker points, mechanical distributors, bolt on coil terminals, etc in a while. I had given mine away before I went to Texas, and wanted to replace them. Even guys at the auto parts had never heard of them. I ordered a metric set and an SAE set on the internet. I guess I forgot about Sears.

I am told that midgets don't like to be called that any more. I have no idea of the proper torque.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I think anything that can be manufactured w/o human interactgion can still be cost effective in the states. Anything that requires someone to put it together its cheaper in China....at least that would be my guess. Have to go back and read the 'run down' of what you got to see.

Like I said. I'm pretty much a harbor freight shopper for tools. Used to buy all Craftsman but gave up a few years ago when all the stores closed and they started pimping the name out to anyplace that was willing to carry it. Figured it was pretty much all china at that point. Glad it isn't 100%.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When the chinese have their civil war someday in the future, this country will be out of luck.

They already have had several. I don't think the communists are ever going to be overthrown by force of arms (domestically).

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    All of this talk of Sears makes me a bit wistful...Any other geezer's remember this great page of the 1975 Sears Christmas Catalog???

searsc1975_page570.jpg

7dc1fa16688d04fc17f8e23a08d05fb7.jpg

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I have some Stanley & Black & Decker stuff, but I always considered it a lower quality than my Craftsman stuff.
    Lowered expectations on the way.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sad.

I have fond memories of Sears and JcPenny catalog marking at Christmas

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Sad.

I have fond memories of Sears and JcPenny catalog marking at Christmas
    And Montgomery Wards. I think my parents hated it when we went through those catalogs and marked all of the many things we wanted! My grandma used to order stuff from the catalogs. One year, when her eyesight was obviously weakening, she ordered mys sister and i boys pjs! Mine looked like a football jersey, and my sister's had cowboys on it...lol. We kept them and wore them anyway, which was no problem for me, as i was a tomboy and hated the frilly, scratchy nightgowns i usually got!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    And Montgomery Wards. I think my parents hated it when we went through those catalogs and marked all of the many things we wanted! My grandma used to order stuff from the catalogs. One year, when her eyesight was obviously weakening, she ordered mys sister and i boys pjs! Mine looked like a football jersey, and my sister's had cowboys on it...lol. We kept them and wore them anyway, which was no problem for me, as i was a tomboy and hated the frilly, scratchy nightgowns i usually got!

LOL.

Born and raised in West Virginia. I never knew of Montgomery Wards until much later. Not sure if I ever saw a store.

Mom always took me to Sears at the beginning of the school year to buy the oversized clothes I would grow out of by second semester :D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If I remember correctly, wasn't the JCPenney catalog better than the Sears one? At least as far as toys in the 1970s were concerned. I do recall looking through the Craftsman section in the big thick master catalog from Sears and drooling over all the awesomeness, but for toys, I'm thinking it was JCPenneys FTW.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    They have managed to keep the Dewalt and Porter Cable names alive. Maybe they'll do the same for Craftsman.

Agreed. If they plan to position Craftsman at the same quality/price as the Stanley stuff currently sold at Walmart, they wasted their $900 million.

I would expect them to try to make Craftsman the brand targeted to more serious DIY folks, in between Stanley and Dewalt. Which fits the Craftsman we all remember from a decade or so back and before.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I think Stanley still owns Mac Tools. I hope they put them on the Mac Tools trucks as their cheaper line, like Blue Point from Snap-On.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    If I remember correctly, wasn't the JCPenney catalog better than the Sears one? At least as far as toys in the 1970s were concerned. I do recall looking through the Craftsman section in the big thick master catalog from Sears and drooling over all the awesomeness, but for toys, I'm thinking it was JCPenneys FTW.

Yeah I loved looking at the Wishbook and Penny's catalogs at Christmas. I recall the Penny's catalog had a great women's underwear section that I looked at, when I moved past toys and such. lol.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah I loved looking at the Wishbook and Penny's catalogs at Christmas. I recall the Penny's catalog had a great women's underwear section that I looked at, when I moved past toys and such. lol.

Hey. The internet wasn't always there. You had to take it where you could get it.
    :)

Top Bottom