• ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Or just imported?

I'm asking because if an order/law is passed banning the importation of guns, would it affect Glock?

Also, a related legal question: when the feds get involved in firearms laws, they use the interstate commerce here in Indiana. They say that the firearm was transferred from the state of manufacture to Indiana. What do they say in the state of manufacture if it doesn't transit state lines?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yes. The majority of the Glock pistols made in GA are exported though. The majority sold in the USA are imported. I have no idea why this is the case but it is.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I have a usa made gen 4 glock. Is says usa on the slide and frame and also has the georgia state outline next to the letters mbs on the frame.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    A Google search shows some forums where guys have Glocks that are stamped "Made in USA" from late 2012.

Why would Glocks be made here and exported? The US has to be the largest market by a factor of 10? Seems like Austria would be able to handle most of the world. I don't know.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    supposedly certain countries dont accept things made in austria but they do from the USA. USA made glocks have a different finish because tenifer cant be used here due to EPA restrictions.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    How familiar are you with environmental regulations?:D

I'm a little obtuse, but this doesn't make sense to me. If it's against EPA regulations for a chemical to be used here, it wouldn't be allowed to be made here, regardless of the destination country.

I realize the effect the EPA has with forcing manufacturing to go overseas (chromed tools are an example) but I don't understand how tight EPA regulations figure into this circumstance?

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Mine all say Made in Austria, even my Gen 4 purchased in mid-2012. I see that others have newer Glocks that say "Made in USA" so it seems as if something is changing.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Mine all say Made in Austria, even my Gen 4 purchased in mid-2012. I see that others have newer Glocks that say "Made in USA" so it seems as if something is changing.

Nothing is changing. The ones that are sold here have imported slides. The ones that are made with slides from GA are exported. ;)

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Nothing is changing. The ones that are sold here have imported slides. The ones that are made with slides from GA are exported. ;)

I have seen many posts in other forums of guys who have purchased Gen 4's in late 2012 and early 2013 that now read "Made in USA". Prior to this, the ones sold here have all said Made in Austria.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I have seen many posts in other forums of guys who have purchased Gen 4's in late 2012 and early 2013 that now read "Made in USA". Prior to this, the ones sold here have all said Made in Austria.

There were sold here saying made in USA long before 2012, but the slides weren't made here.

I'm done. He's all yours, Kirk. :D

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Unless . . . you use a different process in the USA guns, e.g. Melonite vs. Tennifer.

Melonite is also used overseas. Melonite and Tennifer are just trade names for the generic Controlled Liquid Ionic Nitriding, no? I understand the same company owns the process for each and that they are cyanide free overseas now as well for the most part.

I don't see the advantage of producing something in a place that has higher labor costs, more restrictive EPA regulations, higher transportation costs, etc for virtually the same product.

Top Bottom