• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have also wondered the same thing, and have practiced dry fire with this.

When your flashlight comes on your eyes adjust and it is very hard to pick up your sights, this is where I see nightsights as a value.

I know that a lot of people say that lasers are a bad idea but would they not be an alternative to nightsights? What are the downsides with lasers for this application? We are talking 5-10 ft. here not long range.

Also I was wondering about a technique holding your flashlight behind your gun to backlight the sights? I haven't had a chance to try this, anyone else? Is this just bad form?

Just curious.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also I was wondering about a technique holding your flashlight behind your gun to backlight the sights? I haven't had a chance to try this, anyone else? Is this just bad form?

Just curious.

In my experience, using night sights, when I used a technique that back-lit the sights (like the FBI method), it would wash them out and make the night sights useless.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Of course, one would barricade oneself when you hear the front door being kicked in.

But what about those bumps in the night? Do you go look? Do you take a gun?

Do you call the cops on every bump in the night?

You can see where I'm going with this.

I understand where you are going with this, but I know my house. I installed my doors and window in an over 100 year old house that is all oak construction. The downstairs windows would require a ladder to climb through, and I reinforced the door jambs and used steel doors. It would damn near take a tank to get in.

Now, my wife barricades and I cover the stairs from my vantage point. With the silhouette I get from the light coming through the window, using a light would do me more harm than good.

If I do investigate a noise I have a gun, but I always have a gun on me anyhow.

I do own flashlights, and I normally have one on me or nearby. My point is if you go to a different part of your house with the flashlight on, you are broadcasting your location and presenting a target before you see the BG. I do agree that a light will help in some circumstances, I am not counting out any tool I have available. Going on what I have read here and on other forums concern me that some people rely on them too much, and will overuse them or use them in the wrong situation and give a BG a huge advantage.

Everyone's home is different, and each of us that are smart enough to have a plan know what our limitations and safe areas are, and how to defend them. The reason I stated having the police clear the downstairs is simple. My downstairs has a flow plan where you can travel in a circle through the living room, dining room and kitchen. Trying to clear it myself could allow a BG to get me from behind while I am trying to clear the area.

BTW: I have yet to call the cops.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    AH, the night sight. While they sure are not needed to shoot someone in the dark. I put them on almost everything I own. They make it a whole lot easier to do. It's kinda like owning a car with crank windows. You can use it but the upgrade is something most people can find a good excuse to justify easily.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Sorry, but I disagree with the light. All you are doing is making a target for the BG, and he will see you way before you see him.

If someone breaks in, I am not clearing my house. My wife locks herself in the bedroom with her gun, I go to another room where I can cover the top of the stairs. There's a big window there with a streetlight outside. It makes a nice big silhouette to shoot at just like at the range.

I'll let the cops clear the down stairs when they arrive, my job is to keep my family and I safe.

Yup! You said it best :yesway:

Top Bottom