• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The cynical side of me sees some of this as social control. We've already seen how high prices have been driven up with just the threat of a ban. If they follow through with it, prices may very well stay over-inflated. Ten years down the road who is going to be able to afford ARs and such?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The cynical side of me sees some of this as social control. We've already seen how high prices have been driven up with just the threat of a ban. If they follow through with it, prices may very well stay over-inflated. Ten years down the road who is going to be able to afford ARs and such?

There are two kinds of scary black rifle owners right now. Those who have lots of ammo and those who have little or none. Since I'm in the second category, just the threat of Feinstein's bill has so far controlled my scary black rifle use more than actual passage would. I don't think the idea of policies that artificially inflate ammo prices has escaped the gun grabbers.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    There are two kinds of scary black rifle owners right now. Those who have lots of ammo and those who have little or none. Since I'm in the second category, just the threat of Feinstein's bill has so far controlled my scary black rifle use more than actual passage would. I don't think the idea of policies that artificially inflate ammo prices has escaped the gun grabbers.
    Good time to spend your money on reloading equipment, then you can ride this and the next storm out.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I hope it passes. I remember a time when some of us thought that $300 for a Norinco 56S was crazy. That $350 for an SAR-1 was crazy. That $250 for a WASR-10 was borderline nuts.

The firearm market is not the only one to react to sky is falling propaganda, just look at how spooked the stock market gets on rumors of stuff the government is going to do... or not do.

And like Markedup said, the value of the dollar has changed, but not to the extent of what we see in firearm prices (including mags, ammo, and accessories).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Personally, if I was selling it to someone I knew that would keep it, I would sell it for what it was worth prior to the craze. If it was to some random Joe off here or armslist, I'm going to go for the current market price. Why would I sell at a price to them that they can easily flip for a good profit?

Sure, that stripped lower may only have cost you $90, but wouldn't it make you mad to know you sold it to someone that just flipped it for $400?

Nope. I will sell something for what it's worth to me. What they do with it once it becomes their property, is their business. I just sold an AR and some P-Mags for fair prices given the current market. If they flip them and make some bucks on it, more power to them. I'm glad I could help them out!

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Just as there is no garauntee of a gun ban passing. There is no garauntee of one not passing.
    This is a free market. The whole premise of playing the market is buying low and selling high. Thats how money is made in the market.
    Unfortunately some of us got caught with our pants down. After Tucson and Aurora and other shootings things didn't get this drastic. Luckily some of us got what we could before. Some of us weren't as lucky. That's just how it is, we can't control it.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    People are very scared, we have seen what the democrats have done the last 4 years, and now they dont have voters to answer to because of a second presidential election, this scares people seeing healthcare, takeover of banks and auto companies, deciding who gets money(green technologies), we've seen the gov't do things at their will completely against our rights and they are very scared, simple as that, and now they dont even try to hide what they wanna do, they come right out and say they wanna ban guns and redistribute your money to others, just not let you keep it. Its very scary and i think its just a matter of time before the ban is in place, and it will be more comprehensive than the last ban. its only money, and soon it aint gonna be worth the paper we wipe our you know whats with! 22 trillion by 2016?!???! holy crap this is nuts.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The reason for the raising gun and gun accessory prices are simple supply and demand. The prices we are seeing now are what the market will bear. You only have the government to blame, headed up by the greatest gun salesman in history Barack Obama.

THIS!

The price went up because buyers increased demand! Not the sellers fault!
    If someone "boycotts" the prices by selling their stock lower, that just means that they lost out on a good sale.

Right now it's a sellers market for firearms!

Think of it like owning multiple houses, or say stocks for example. You have them, and you don't need to sell them, so you keep them, even though you don't particularly need them. Now one day the market changed and your stocks just went through the roof! Time to sell and make some money.

I bet the CA homeowners kicked themselves hard when the market crashed.
    They bought their homes decades ago for 100K and the value over the years went up to half+ a million. Then the market crashed and the values went back down again. They should have sold, and bought a nice house in the country out here in the east or down south.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I personally find online retailers and their prices more offensive. A site I have bought 3 guns from is selling the EXACT SAME wasr 10/63 for $400 more than they were just over a month ago
    So what of the farmer when corn goes from $4 a bushel to $8 a bushel? All profit for the farmer right? Wrong. The landowner who rents the farmer the ground wants a piece of that extra $4 of profit. The fertilizer company wants a piece of that extra $4 of profit. The seed company wants a piece of that extra $4 of profit. Pretty soon, the farmer sees none of that extra $4 in profit.

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    Some are over the top but it is capitalism at its finest. And the high prices are not just here, they are everywhere. And while it is not certain a ban will come it is not certain one will not either. Some people have extra cash and want to be safe than sorry. I won't do it but I can't blame private owners too much. I personally find online retailers and their prices more offensive. A site I have bought 3 guns from is selling the EXACT SAME wasr 10/63 for $400 more than they were just over a month ago

hmmmmm........
    I sell ammo at most the gun shows. Two months ago I sold .223 for $340/1000rds. Today I sell the same 1000rds for $700. If you think I'm making $360 more in profit each time, then your nuts.
    The manufacturer's cost have gone up, the price of the bullets the price of the brass, and most the old suppliers are out of stock so he has to order from suppliers farther away(higher shipping costs). Each step adds cost and those cost get passed on. Same thing is happening with the sale of guns.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    hmmmmm........
    I sell ammo at most the gun shows. Two months ago I sold .223 for $340/1000rds. Today I sell the same 1000rds for $700. If you think I'm making $360 more in profit each time, then your nuts.
    The manufacturer's cost have gone up, the price of the bullets the price of the brass, and most the old suppliers are out of stock so he has to order from suppliers farther away(higher shipping costs). Each step adds cost and those cost get passed on. Same thing is happening with the sale of guns.

Shut it. We know you're just a dirty capitalist. You probably ate a kitten when you cashed that check too, didn't you?

Bradis doesn't seem to have problems finding manufacturers/wholesalers/whoever the heck they buy from who still sell at or very near pre-Sandy Hook prices. Yes, costs are going up. But this is not a manufacturing issue.

Top Bottom