Are PSL-54C rifles REALLY all that and a bag of potato chips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It seems like about a year or so go you could buy one of these for $550 with a scope. Now they easily sell for $1,000+. They aren't super accurate, surplus ammo WILL dry up, and it seems a lot have problems with horrible accuracy or horrible scopes. You could get a .308 or .223 bolt action with a bunch of upgrades and a good scope for what the PSLs sell for, and you could almost guarantee it'll be more accurate.

Now I'm not bashing the PSL, because I think they are a cool rifle and I wouldn't mind having one, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact people will pay that much for one. So you PSL guys, what do you think? Do you think your rifle is really worth $1,000+?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Personally I like them for the cool factor only, and suggest stocking up on ammo while it is available.

I agree that prices have gone nuts, but it is that way on almost all imported AK variations thanks to ATF violating our rights. Makes me sick to see semi-auto only PSLs and the like cut up only to be rebuilt in the USA with the required parts content. Still trying to find the sporting purpose clause in the constitution.

All imported AK variations have gone crazy price wise. I remember paying under $300 for an SAR-1, and now they are selling for $500 and higher.

Worth $1000? Personally no way.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Nope, not from my experiences shooting with the father in law and his PSL. If I was going to buy a semi-automatic rifle in 7.62x54r, I'd prefer to save my money and buy a legitimate Dragunov (as a pure collector piece) or an SVT. But until that unlikely day comes, I'll just stick to my Garand.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was on and off getting a parts kit and a blank receiver and building one, but the parts kit availability has been spotty, and it would represent a whole new caliber for me. With all that and it not being that great a rifle, I've managed to talk myself out of it so far. Next I'll probably see a parts kit with both trunnions for an irresistible price and get my hormones all in an uproar again. If that happens, someone please tie me up, throw a bucket of water on me, and tase me every time I start moving again.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Personally I like them for the cool factor only, and suggest stocking up on ammo while it is available.

I agree that prices have gone nuts, but it is that way on almost all imported AK variations thanks to ATF violating our rights. Makes me sick to see semi-auto only PSLs and the like cut up only to be rebuilt in the USA with the required parts content. Still trying to find the sporting purpose clause in the constitution.

All imported AK variations have gone crazy price wise. I remember paying under $300 for an SAR-1, and now they are selling for $500 and higher.

Worth $1000? Personally no way.

I didn't know they were originally full auto.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    No, that is the point, they are cutting up semi-auto only rifles. The PSL was never to my knowledge ever made in full auto.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I HAD a PSL for more than a few reasons. They are a neat rifle but the inconsistant accuracy was enough to drive me nuts. First few rounds would be darn near dead center, followed by a flyer that didnt even hit the paper followed by 3-4" groups.

Im talking scoped, bench rested, bipoded and sand bagged. Everything short of bolting the rifle to the table and still flyers and poor groups.

Fun to mag dump though and a hell of an attention getter. But Ive been much happier with the M1A I bought after selling the PSL.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I own a PSL, and the PSL is a great rifle and really only has one fault, its barrel is to thin and tends to string shoots vertically when firing in rapid succession. A better rifle is the M76, milled reciever, heavier barrel, better checkweld than on a PSL, its biggest drawback is it is 8mm, which isn't as cheap as 7.62x54r. The best of both worlds ( cheap ammo/accuracy) without selling the wife and kids is a SVD Tigr, Milled reciever, heavy barrel, great ergonomics, and shoot cheap 7.62x54r.

They are all fun to shoot, but the one that gives the best bang for the buck is the M76, and the Tigr just has a coolness factor that is hard to beat.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I had a PSL and then sold it. Only shot it a few times and it was a blast. I miss not having but I used the cash to buy a 1917 SMLE. Which was totally worth it plus I had plenty of money left over.

Every time Miller Tyme posts a pic I get very envious.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Yep agreed its the coolness factor. And the fact that a ton of folks own a Mosin Nagant of some type these days so after the the same folks buy a case or two of ammo to shoot they figure it'd be cool to buy a semi auto gun that shoots the same ammo. Screw working that bolt they think. I considered getting one a year or so ago but looked into it and realized it'd be dumb to own a cool looking sniper rifle that wasnt accurate, not to mention if I wanted one now I'd have to overpay grossly. Consistency is accuracy so to have groups pattern so random is unacceptable for a long range rifle. I instead bought a thumbole stock for a WASR-10/63 and havnt looked back. Gives me the cool look I wanted just less beefy and less snipery. Way less...

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Seems we just talked about this last week,,

The only way my PSl would be takin away from my collection if I sold it to fund the purchase of a TIGER, Ya you could spend 1,000$ on the apple or that pear your were talkin about,
    but
    an orange, "PSL" is rather different in performance, price and availability 100% in many different ways + and - Vs the AR in 308 etc.

so

If one spends 1000+ on that PSL Im sure he's done his research and decision making accurately to best facilitate his needs and "wants"

A quality PSL is becoming harder to find vs the crappy looking ones I have been seeing, overpriced, canted and totally mismatched for a 1000, no way,
    If its matching, came with 7n1, all fitting mags, original IOR issued optic, NOS mag pouch with all gear,
    I would pay 899.00 + tax for it.
    They are not getting cheaper.:D:ar15:

Now Miller sell mehh that TIGER!!!:ar15:And the ZRAK!!!!
    dsci0015zh.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive wanted a PSL for while but the cost of them has gone way up to the point I dont think I will get one. I would probably just a get a VEPR for that kind of money if I was going to get one that shot 54R. Or I may finaly just get an AR10.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I own a PSL, and the PSL is a great rifle and really only has one fault, its barrel is to thin and tends to string shoots vertically when firing in rapid succession. A better rifle is the M76, milled reciever, heavier barrel, better checkweld than on a PSL, its biggest drawback is it is 8mm, which isn't as cheap as 7.62x54r. The best of both worlds ( cheap ammo/accuracy) without selling the wife and kids is a SVD Tigr, Milled reciever, heavy barrel, great ergonomics, and shoot cheap 7.62x54r.

They are all fun to shoot, but the one that gives the best bang for the buck is the M76, and the Tigr just has a coolness factor that is hard to beat.

Dooooooood that Tigr is the shizzle.

Should you ever decide to sell it, send me a pm.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    my PSL is accurate enough for what it is, and fun to shoot. I would LOVE a tigr or svt, but at $5K+ for one of them, its not likely Ill have one of them soon.

Top Bottom