Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Gaston Glock isn't worthy to lick John Browning's boots!

Show me a picture of JMB's wife and I will let you know if that statement is true. :):

Gaston understands marketing. Mechanical engineering, not so much. One of these things is important and the other is not.

Yep marketing. One thing I have learned is that all that matters is good marketing. When do we ever see the superior product win based solely of the merit/quality of said product?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't really get the collectable aspect, unless they are truly old and unique guns. Shoot them, I say!

It comes down to a question of how valuable they are and how much firing would reduce that value. If I stand to loose $1000 for pulling the trigger, I am probably not going to do it. If I am going to convert a $500 gun into a $495 gun, I am not going to worry about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It comes down to a question of how valuable they are and how much firing would reduce that value. If I stand to loose $1000 for pulling the trigger, I am probably not going to do it. If I am going to convert a $500 gun into a $495 gun, I am not going to worry about it.

I would never even consider owning a gun I can not fire. JMHO

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I had a friend out east, he had an original peacemaker, early production, that had never been fired. Even had a block in place so that the cylinder had never been rotated. I thought it was a damn shame.

I bought an 1891 Mauser with bayonet that had never been fired, still in the cosmoline and cheese wrap. First thing I did was clean it up and take it out to shoot. I still shoot it.

Now of course, his colt was worth some serious cabbage. That's why his wife took it when she left. Later she came back without it...like I said, a damn shame.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a friend out east, he had an original peacemaker, early production, that had never been fired. Even had a block in place so that the cylinder had never been rotated. I thought it was a damn shame.

I bought an 1891 Mauser with bayonet that had never been fired, still in the cosmoline and cheese wrap. First thing I did was clean it up and take it out to shoot. I still shoot it.

Now of course, his colt was worth some serious cabbage. That's why his wife took it when she left. Later she came back without it...like I said, a damn shame.

He let her come back.......................:faint:

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I'm not reading through the entire post, but Ive said it many times in the past...

I'm sick of the stereo type that "Glock/plastics are fool proof" If someone knows how to maintain a 1911 and use it properly they will run a Glock into the damn ground. The problem is most people buy junk 1911's and never learn how to maintain them let alone how to operate them properly. So, in that sense, yes, a Glock might work better than MOST folks 1911's. To someone who knows the platform inside and out and is willing to dedicate themselves to learning the platform, then the answer is that the 1911 will run all the time. I have owned well over 15 Glocks over the years... I currently own 4 Glocks a 17, 19, 26, and 34. They are Glocks... An assembly line of Mexicans can put them together. Nothing really special about them other than the brainwashed owners thinking they are the ultimate combat pistol. The aftermarket game that folks like Salient offers just makes me laugh at silliness... at the end of the day, its still a 500 dollar plastic Glock full of mim parts with some holes cut in it and some spin selling that Costa and crew magically hand fit parts (which is a load of crap). A refined 1911, totally different story.

Jager makes some valid points about "PRODUCTION 1911's"... and thats fine. Take that for what its worth...

Glocks are full of mim parts that break just like any other mim filled pistol (like the one Jager just gave an A to in his video).

As for the Plastic fan boys who rant about how their guns run and run... well, glad they are working out for them. I have had many plastic guns fail in training classes many, many, many times.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    meh.

i switched to a glock after yrs of shooting 1911s/2011s and berettas. took about 5 minutes of dryfire to work out the index (the POS trigger, on the other hand, is an on-going battle). it's not that "it doesn't work for everyone" it's that people are resistant to change and don't want to work it out. if your primary focus is aligning the sights and calling the shot, grip angle just becomes a non-issue. first time I ran the glock in a match under a timer I didn't even notice "grip angle." I still switch back and forth from time to time, and it's never an issue.

people who started out shooting glocks think their great. folks with lots of experience on other guns think the glocks "dont work for them". I doubt there's some underlying law of nature that led folks w/ one type of muscular/skeletal biology to buy glocks and folks w/ other biology to buy 1911s.

unless there really is something in the genetics.... glock guys: :nuts:

-rvb
    U may be right, Glock was the first quality pistol I fired or owned.

Top Bottom