Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Same here, and at much lower round counts. I've broken a Taurus and had an issue with a Ruger out of the box. I've reloaded some ammo with inconsistent burn that left powder under the extractor star causing lock up.

high primers on my reloads. Bullets working forward on .357 snubbies. Debris under the extractor. Short stroking the trigger in double action.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    No. Glocks are way more reliable, they even shoot so reliably, they shoot you when you don't want them to! Its super hard to shoot yourself with a 1911 = not as reliable.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Colt 1991A1 that goes bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of what you feed it. This thing has somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 rounds through it and I literally can not think of a single failure to feed, failure to fire except on one instance where the primer was struck but failed to ignite.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Watched one Yeager video a good while back. Life is too short for me to watch another one.

Glock has control of who makes Glocks, that is a big advantage when you are looking to keep lemons away from the platform. I won't mention any names (Fusion, Predator Tactical), but there are people making custom 1911's who don't have the requisite skills for a job at the BMV. Some of their guns either do not run at all or do not run for long.

The other tidbit is accuracy. If you build a 1911 Glock sloppy (the older G.I. guns for example?) the reliability challenge is reduced, if you build a really tight gun then the cheese is more binding.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just as Alpo said, define reliability. Glock has two 17s in the museum in Austria that they say have 750,000 documented rounds through them. Will a $500 1911 perform to that standard, I doubt it. Will a $3500 STI race gun, more than likely.. For money invested a Glock is, IMHO impossible to outperform. Accuracy wise, most of the people that think they are more accurate than their Glock are living in OZ. Top end 1911 is VERY accurate but people generally shoot a 1911 better (and assume they are more accurate) because even a low end 1911 has a much better trigger than most Glocks.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    So all of us are wrong.....:dunno:

A strange thing happened a few years ago when my kid and I were shooting a few pistols at my farm. When we were cleaning up it dawned on me that the only glock we were shooting was missing and not to be found on or near the bench or truck and it was like wtf. We looked and looked but just could not find it.
    Two days later I was bush hoging and low and behold behind a rock in a drainage ditch I found my runaway Glock shivering cold, skeered and hungry.
    Strangest thing I have ever seen. :dunno:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    [video]https://youtu.be/UWidpLuQvuw[/video]

I know CM is just itching to try out that new ban hammer, so here's your chance to abuse your authority :lol2: I wouldn't hesitate to carry either of those pistols, but given the choice between the two, I would agree with Mr. Noir and go with the G30. Flame suit on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know CM is just itching to try out that new ban hammer, so here's your chance to abuse your authority :lol2: wouldn't hesitate to carry either of those pistols, but given the choice between the two, I would agree with Mr. Noir and go with the G30. Flame suit on.

If that gun makes you comfortable I say go for it.
    So many different people.
    So many different opinions. So many different guns to fill those needs.
    There is a noticeable difference in how a 1911 points up for me over the Glock. I have tried both back to back many times. I am sure some of that is years of using one over the other (were they making Glocks in 1962...:)) the 1911 works for me with very little thought/effort.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know CM is just itching to try out that new ban hammer, so here's your chance to abuse your authority :lol2: I wouldn't hesitate to carry either of those pistols, but given the choice between the two, I would agree with Mr. Noir and go with the G30. Flame suit on.

I already have the Glock 30s.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If that gun makes you comfortable I say go for it.
    So many different people.
    So many different opinions. So many different guns to fill those needs.
    There is a noticeable difference in how a 1911 points up for me over the Glock. I have tried both back to back many times. I am sure some of that is years of using one over the other (were they making Glocks in 1962...:)) the 1911 works for me with very little thought/effort.
    I do agree that a Glock doesn't point as naturally as a 1911. I would have to work at it if I were going to carry. But that's why I, in reality, not the theoretical choice of that video, went with option C. I still wouldn't be ashamed to carry either gun, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do agree that a Glock doesn't point as naturally as a 1911. I would have to work at it if I were going to carry. But that's why I, in reality, not the theoretical choice of that video, went with option C. I still wouldn't be ashamed to carry either gun, though.

As with anything muscle memory from repetition is part of this.
    I can pick up a Glock and have rounds on target but it takes thought/effort and that slows me down.
    I am not as accurate with a Glock in a rapid draw fire drill. I tend to shoot high. Again, repetition.

I can point and shoot a 1911. I can not do that with a Glock.

Top Bottom