Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I own both, several of each.
    I think both are reliable and accurate, I think most major brands for 1911 are going to be reliable, and without buying a Wilson Combat for several grand either.
    The Ruger lightweight commander should be a really good choice, or Kimber makes several good quality 1911's , I've heard Springfield makes nice 1911's too , but I've never owned one or shot one, all mine have been Colt or Kimber and now on to the Ruger just because I want one.
    I don't make my decisions based on magazine capacity, I carried single stack pistols for years and feel they will always serve me just fine, I haven't done any research but I would like to see the stats about self defense shootings and the number of rounds fired, my gut feeling is it is less than 6 and closer to 3.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I own both, several of each.
    I think both are reliable and accurate, I think most major brands for 1911 are going to be reliable, and without buying a Wilson Combat for several grand either.
    The Ruger lightweight commander should be a really good choice, or Kimber makes several good quality 1911's , I've heard Springfield makes nice 1911's too , but I've never owned one or shot one, all mine have been Colt or Kimber and now on to the Ruger just because I want one.
    I don't make my decisions based on magazine capacity, I carried single stack pistols for years and feel they will always serve me just fine, I haven't done any research but I would like to see the stats about self defense shootings and the number of rounds fired, my gut feeling is it is less than 6 and closer to 3.
    Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

You would be surprised. No drugs in the above altercation.

The stats you are referring to are LEO stats. I'm not an LEO, and I would bet if the need arises to use my firearm it will be in a situation vs more than one bad guy.

Carrying a 1911 with an 9 round magazine leaves you with 3 badguys with zero misses, statistically speaking...

If any of them have opioids in their system, then it's going to take more than 3 shots.

I'll stick with 16 in the gun, and 30 on my belt. ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, lemme ask you guys this.

Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn, both die hard 1911 guys, have both stated that only guys who like to dedicate the time to maintain and tinker with their guns, should only be the ones to carry a 1911. But, they also only recommend the Wilson Combat if you were planning to carry a 1911.

I can't afford the Wilson Combat. So, what's the next best thing that's in the $1000-$1500 range?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am loving the shirt......or what is filling it up.....:)

I don't fault the guy at all on his choice of wife. IF you've got it flaunt it. I'd rather spend my fortune on her than some high dollar eurotrash sports car.
    It may be my heredity though. My grandfather was 82 when my dad was born and I've got grandkids older than my youngest son.
    I like Glock's woman, guns, but love my 1911s.
    I don't want to have to do battle with a Glock or 1911 and only will IF I absolutely, no way out of it, gotta do it. I'll take my 1911 for accuracy, .45acp hole size, and familiarity. 40+ years of carrying a 1911 is second nature.
    All these gun ninja gurus are cool. Most represent advertising for companies. It's a good way to earn a living making a lot of noise and looking tacti-cool. I probably have as much inthe**** time as most of them. I used a 1911 way back before electricity, horseless carriages, and cable tv. IF it ain't broke then don't F... with it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn, both die hard 1911 guys, have both stated that only guys who like to dedicate the time to maintain and tinker with their guns, should only be the ones to carry a 1911. But, they also only recommend the Wilson Combat if you were planning to carry a 1911.

I can't afford the Wilson Combat. So, what's the next best thing that's in the $1000-$1500 range?
    I am friends with a guy who is close to Hackathorn. My woman is 50% German. IMHO that makes me the most qualified to answer this question. A Glock is the next best 1911 but if I buy one to play with it will be a Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Find a TRP (Springer) for the money budget. I have the model with barrel bushing and the bull barrel Tactical. They both ran exceptionally well out of the box. I would trust my life to either one. For your budget that would be my choice.
    Of course I did not leave either of mine alone and they are insanely sweet now but hey, that is just me.....:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is still (barely) America, shoot what you like. Out of all the variables relating to surviving a firefight as a citizen, choice of firearm is so far down the list it is almost a non factor.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If that gun makes you comfortable I say go for it.
    So many different people.
    So many different opinions. So many different guns to fill those needs.
    There is a noticeable difference in how a 1911 points up for me over the Glock. I have tried both back to back many times. I am sure some of that is years of using one over the other (were they making Glocks in 1962...:)) the 1911 works for me with very little thought/effort.

This. Not long ago shot the Springer and a Glock back to back. The Glock doesn't point right. Why do they do that?

Sadly, I carry a Taurus .45 but would love to get back to a compact 1911 again.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Grip angle. The ergonomics of the Glock do not work for everyone.

I've heard on multiple occasions that this is just a BS excuse. But I know from experience that it does play a part. For instance, the M&P Shield never felt right in my hand. When I bought my Glock, I looked at the Shield, and the XDs as well. Never shot the XDs, but decided at that time, I didn't want to change calibers. I was able to shoot the shield, and to borrow a term from Yeager, it felt "yucky". I've heard others say the inverse of that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've heard on multiple occasions that this is just a BS excuse. But I know from experience that it does play a part. For instance, the M&P Shield never felt right in my hand. When I bought my Glock, I looked at the Shield, and the XDs as well. Never shot the XDs, but decided at that time, I didn't want to change calibers. I was able to shoot the shield, and to borrow a term from Yeager, it felt "yucky". I've heard others say the inverse of that.

We are are built just a bit differently. Same amount of bones/muscles and such but use them differently. I have seen this in many folks I have went shooting with.
    I have some pics of me attempting to shoot a Glock. They were posted in here a while back and it was obvious to many that I was having issue with the gun. It just did not point up well for me and when I forced the issue it was uncomfortable. The owner of said Glock had no issues with it.
    This can be attributed to so many years running 1911's and my muscles being trained to work with that gun.

That is why it is so important to pick a brand/platform you are comfortable with. Folks have shot my 1911's and appreciated the appearance but was not comfortable running them.
    Grip angle/recoil/weight and many other things figure into this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    meh.

i switched to a glock after yrs of shooting 1911s/2011s and berettas. took about 5 minutes of dryfire to work out the index (the POS trigger, on the other hand, is an on-going battle). it's not that "it doesn't work for everyone" it's that people are resistant to change and don't want to work it out. if your primary focus is aligning the sights and calling the shot, grip angle just becomes a non-issue. first time I ran the glock in a match under a timer I didn't even notice "grip angle." I still switch back and forth from time to time, and it's never an issue.

people who started out shooting glocks think their great. folks with lots of experience on other guns think the glocks "dont work for them". I doubt there's some underlying law of nature that led folks w/ one type of muscular/skeletal biology to buy glocks and folks w/ other biology to buy 1911s.

unless there really is something in the genetics.... glock guys: :nuts:

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    meh.

i switched to a glock after yrs of shooting 1911s/2011s and berettas. took about 5 minutes of dryfire to work out the index (the POS trigger, on the other hand, is an on-going battle). it's not that "it doesn't work for everyone" it's that people are resistant to change and don't want to work it out. if your primary focus is aligning the sights and calling the shot, grip angle just becomes a non-issue. first time I ran the glock in a match under a timer I didn't even notice "grip angle." I still switch back and forth from time to time, and it's never an issue.

people who started out shooting glocks think their great. folks with lots of experience on other guns think the glocks "dont work for them". I doubt there's some underlying law of nature that led folks w/ one type of muscular/skeletal biology to buy glocks and folks w/ other biology to buy 1911s.

unless there really is something in the genetics.... glock guys: :nuts:

-rvb

At 65 hell no I am not up to the task I guess.
    They do point up different for me.
    I am not a match shooter and most shooters aren't either.
    I am a point and shoot guy most of the time. When using the sights I see/feel the difference in the 2 guns. I am not racing a timer I am concentrating on using the gun I have in my hands.
    If I was competing I can see this might not be that big a deal......but I am not and many people are just casual range shooters.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    At 65 hell no I am not up to the task I guess.
    They do point up different for me.
    I am not a match shooter and most shooters aren't either.
    I am a point and shoot guy most of the time. When using the sights I see/feel the difference in the 2 guns. I am not racing a timer I am concentrating on using the gun I have in my hands.
    If I was competing I can see this might not be that big a deal......but I am not and many people are just casual range shooters.

they point different for everyone, not just you.
    I mentioned racing the timer because doing things as fast as you possibly can tends to exagerate problems, not hide them. if someone is a casual range shooter the difference shouldn't matter AT ALL. I shake my head every time I read that a glock's grip causes someone to shoot high. heh, no, your sight alignment and trigger control did that...

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    they point different for everyone, not just you.
    I mentioned racing the timer because doing things as fast as you possibly can tends to exagerate problems, not hide them. if someone is a casual range shooter the difference shouldn't matter AT ALL. I shake my head every time I read that a glock's grip causes someone to shoot high. heh, no, your sight alignment and trigger control did that...

-rvb

Exactly.....I hit with them it is just more work to do it. If I point and shoot yes it hits high for me. If I use the sights I can hit very well but again, uncomfortable and most likely due to the fact I have way more time with a 1911 in my hands. I have to force past my natural grip to get the nose down.

Top Bottom