• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I've been debating on trying some N110 in my .357 full power loads but the extra cost has kept me on the fence. I mostly use unique for my swc plinking loads, but I recently acquired a 1894c that my daughter will probably use on deer this fall.

I had some W296 laying around and tried it out, but wasn't as impressed with it in the .357 as I am with my 44mag. I've read the vv powder is very clean burning and is able to archive some pretty high velocities with heavier projectiles (158-180gr).

Anyone out there using N110? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    To answer your original question, no.
    I used a number of their powders over the years and was able to replace them with less expensive alternatives when they priced themselves out of my consideration.
    For my purposes, there wasn't any difference in performance.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Your gun might be a bit cleaner when you take it home... but where's the fun in that. Performance wise, there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good IMO.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never used VV powders in pistols. I have used a keg or two in rifles. I used VV N135, N140 and N540. Good powder. Not good enough to pay the double price for it. It did not out perform Varget, RE-15 or H4895 on the target or over the chrono. It would be really tough to see the difference in a pistol.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    When I first started reloading I used a good bit on N140. When I went to re supply I notived there were alot cheaper options. I decided to give H4350 a try in its place and H4350 has became my go to powder. There was no diffrence in accuracy, or deviation's.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    N110 is a bulkier, though slightly faster-burning powder than H110/W296. 2400 is a little bulkier and faster yet. Another good option is Li'l Gun...it will give excellent fill rates and velocity.

What were you disappointed about with the H110? Was it just that it didn't burn clean? How was the velocity and accuracy? If you want top performance, there really aren't a lot of options to choose from and the more expensive VihtaVouri powders are not likely to do anything H110 or Li'l Gun won't do.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What were you disappointed about with the H110? Was it just that it didn't burn clean? How was the velocity and accuracy? If you want top performance, there really aren't a lot of options to choose from and the more expensive VihtaVouri powders are not likely to do anything H110 or Li'l Gun won't do.

My main issue was accuracy, but I also noticed quite a bit of un-burnt powder in the case as well as the in the barrel. Velocity was around 1900fpm with 16.5grs of W296, 158gr xtp and a federal magnum spp.

Was it "minute of deer"?, yes. But I was just not happy with the loads I tried. That's the fun of reloading right, you don't have to just say "well that's as good as it gets". Another plus with 2400 and n110 is that I wouldn't have to buy magnum primers just for my hunting load

Last edited:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    The Benchrest Shooters seem to think that VV is the greatest stuff ever put in a case-----VV N133+6PPC-----"WAS the only way to go"------------I changed to IMR 4198-------same accuracy,30% lower powder cost
    I dont think I will buy VV anymore--------------------------(that is untill the next greatest, powder-ctg combination comes along--lol)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My main issue was accuracy, but I also noticed quite a bit of un-burnt powder in the case as well as the in the barrel. Velocity was around 1900fpm with 16.5grs of W296, 158gr xtp and a federal magnum spp.

Was it "minute of deer"?, yes. But I was just not happy with the loads I tried. That's the fun of reloading right, you don't have to just say "well that's as good as it gets". Another plus with 2400 and n110 is that I wouldn't have to buy magnum primers just for my hunting load

I agree with you completely on trying new reloading combinations. That truly is a big part of the fun! :)

Just don't lose sight of the fact that 357 Magnum is pretty much the least powerful cartridge suitable for deer hunting and that shots should be kept at or (preferably) under 100 yards. If you're getting 3" groups at 100, that is plenty good enough, since you won't be lobbing those XTP's out to 150, anyway.

My daughter was 13 when she took her first doe. She was shooting a Model 1892 in 44/40 WCF. They were handloaded 200gr XTP's, leaving the muzzle ~1,550 fps. The accuracy at 100 yards? I couldn't tell ya, as all the shooting she did was at 50, because I wasn't going to let her try a shot on her first deer at 100 yards.

As it turns out, that first shot came at about 70 yards and while the shot placement wasn't ideal, the bullet performance was and the outcome was excellent! :)

Katie%2527s%2520First%2520Deer.jpg

Here is the 200gr XTP after ~30" of penetration. (Through the paunch and stopped under the skin, just behind the left shoulder.)

Katie%2527s%2520First%2520Deer%2520Bullet.jpg

Two years later, the same gun/bullet/shooter got her first buck. She thought it was a doe when she shot. :)

Katie%2527s%2520buck1-cropped.jpg

ETA: No VV powders were used in the harvesting of these deer! :D

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I agree with you completely on trying new reloading combinations. That truly is a big part of the fun! :)

Just don't lose sight of the fact that 357 Magnum is pretty much the least powerful cartridge suitable for deer hunting and that shots should be kept at or (preferably) under 100 yards. If you're getting 3" groups at 100, that is plenty good enough, since you won't be lobbing those XTP's out to 150, anyway.

My daughter was 13 when she took her first doe. She was shooting a Model 1892 in 44/40 WCF. They were handloaded 200gr XTP's, leaving the muzzle ~1,550 fps. The accuracy at 100 yards? I couldn't tell ya, as all the shooting she did was at 50, because I wasn't going to let her try a shot on her first deer at 100 yards.

I can honestly say that my daughter and I haven't taken a shot over 60-70 yards in years. The property we hunt is mainly mature hardwoods, but if we do think that we will have the possibility for longer shots the Ultra Slug Hunter or Omega can be grabbed.

Congrats to your daughter, here is my daughters first buck taken this fall. 77/44 shooting a 240gr xtp and 22.5grs of w296

IMAG0320_zps3e33796a.jpg

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I can honestly say that my daughter and I haven't taken a shot over 60-70 yards in years. The property we hunt is mainly mature hardwoods, but if we do think that we will have the possibility for longer shots the Ultra Slug Hunter or Omega can be grabbed.

Congrats to your daughter, here is my daughters first buck taken this fall. 77/44 shooting a 240gr xtp and 22.5grs of w296

IMAG0320_zps3e33796a.jpg

That your daughter in the picture?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not have data to back this up, but some of the pricing problem of the VV powders from Finland may be excahnge rates.A lot of european trade is drasically affected by currency exchange rtes. The Winchester Shotguns that were made in Belgium were not able to continue because the exchange rates ate all the profit.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Whatever you're doing, keep it up! That's an awesome first buck...my daughter would be jealous! :D

I take it the 44 kicks just a bit more than she would like? Ya know, one really good option would be to drop down to the 200gr XTP bullets for a few years. Less bullet weight but still very effective at the terminal end.

:twocents:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Whatever you're doing, keep it up! That's an awesome first buck...my daughter would be jealous! :D

I take it the 44 kicks just a bit more than she would like? Ya know, one really good option would be to drop down to the 200gr XTP bullets for a few years. Less bullet weight but still very effective at the terminal end.

:twocents:

She handled the .44 well, it didn't bother her in the least. But I'm in the process of consolidating calibers and that was my last .44. She wasn't too happy when I sold the Ruger, so I may look for a h&r in .44 if I can't work up a load to my liking with the 1894c.

Top Bottom