• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I received a model 99 as a gift from my girlfriend who's stepfather passed away.
    The story goes that it was brought home from his father in WWII.

Well the gun has been in a closet for quite some time, never being fired.
    Everything works and is well kept. I am trying to go through and just get it dis-assembled and cleaned up. However, I cannot get the band off. I can only get the band to go about an inch before the wood stocks don't allow it to go any further.

Any ideas guys?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I got one from my father, but since it shows no signs of disassembly I haven't taken it down that far. It's not handy right now, but if you don't get a definitive answer, I'll get it out and see if we can't figure it out. These guys can probably help: Firearms Of The Rising Sun

Have you fired yours yet?

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    If the rifle is still together I wouldnt take it apart unless it has some active rust on it. I just wipe them down with a light gun oil and keep any and all cleaners off the wood.

manygunsmike

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    If the rifle is still together I wouldnt take it apart unless it has some active rust on it. I just wipe them down with a light gun oil and keep any and all cleaners off the wood.

manygunsmike
    You should take it apart even if you don't see any rust on the exterior it doesnt mean that underneath the wooden stock theres not rust. Especially considering the possibley terrible conditions the rifle went through.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've fired mine, and talk about a blast to shoot!

If it is a "bring-back" or war booty, that Arisaka will have an intact Mum on the top of the receiver, like mine does :D

That barrel band is likely just stuck due to dirt, grime, possibly rust, hard telling what else.

Top Bottom