• MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Thanks to BB3 for this review on IMAGC

SIEBOLD: Arming teachers to protect students - Washington Times

To an extent - I like this article - and it is PARTLY correct. Gun Free Zones (GFZ) do not save lives - they create victims that cannot defend themselves, and turn otherwise law abiding, licensed to carry, citizens into criminals, should they cross the threshold of the property. My personal experience is this: My Dad is a retired HS teacher, and Mom retired HS lunch staffer; and with several neighbors and friends (older and younger) that were or are Teachers, Staff and Administration - I will say with confidence that ALLOWING legal carry in schools will help to make them safer places than they are now.

I will say that I disagree completely with the thought that ALL teachers MUST be armed. Those in society with no interest in arms, or in training, or with personal convictions against these - should not be forced to be armed, any more than those of us willing to carry, learn, train, with firearms or any other 'martial' skills - should be prohibited from them. There were/are those who are 'acceptably trained' to teach, by the standards accepted today - that have no desire to - and therefore no business to - carry a weapon of any sort. Some may be the most dedicated, conscientious teachers our children could hope to have in the course of their education.

-- BB3

Faiden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I completely agree. I've never understood the argument that teachers and/or students shouldn't be allowed to carry. If they have their permit and are allowed to have a weapon on them in the store, on the street, and in a movie theater, why not a school? Is the concern that, by crossing the property line, they might go insane and start firing indiscriminately?

That being said, I don't think anyone is pushing to mandate carrying for any group (teachers included). This school in AK simply voted to allow teachers to carry and offer training for those considering the option. Forcing someone who is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with a firearm to carry one is a bad idea all around.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I always thought anyone legally allowed to carry a gun should be allowed to in school teachers and students. But forcing someone to carry a gun is a horrible idea no matter what the reason is.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I will say that I disagree completely with the thought that ALL teachers MUST be armed. ...

I've never heard anyone on our side suggest this; only that teachers be allowed the option to do so if they wish.

The only time I hear this idea trotted out is as some sort of straw man argument against allowing teachers to be armed in schools. No one that I know of is suggesting all teachers must be armed as a matter of public policy. Do you have any examples?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I've never heard anyone on our side suggest this; only that teachers be allowed the option to do so if they wish.

The only time I hear this idea trotted out is as some sort of straw man argument against allowing teachers to be armed in schools. No one that I know of is suggesting all teachers must be armed as a matter of public policy. Do you have any examples?

if you read my post, I did not write that, it was a review done by a staff member from IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl. Therefore, I can not even begin to answer your question because I am not in BB3's head.

Top Bottom