• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Does anyone have personal armor for SHTF?
    What kinds of armor do you have in your alert gear?

When I outprocessed from my base after my term, I had to turn in my Kevlar helmet and Level III+ vest and plates.
    Since then I purchased a Level IIIA vest with level IV plates as well as the Kevlar helmet.

I like to think that I may never have to use that kind of armor - but its better to play it safe.

Man I just remember the Level III+ plates weighing a lot less than these IV plates :n00b: I know the Level III+ was rated for 7.62 NATO and the IV was rated for .30-06 Armor Piercing though.

Does anyone know much about the Dragon Skin armor? I heard they failed NIJ testing awhile back when the DOD wanted them.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been thinking about this for a few years now, but it's been a fiscal impossibility since I'll need both the panels and carrier(s) custom made to fit me. When I achieve a financial status that will allow it, finding someone who can make armor for me will be my #1 objective.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I think it's important to have a shield if you are going to carry a sword.

With that said, wearing armor sucks. I'm sure getting shot sucks worse though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Old armor has other uses, though. You can use it behind your aiming point when you dry fire, or as an aiming point when you load/unload your gun in your house.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Not to long ago Dragon skin was featured on Future Weapons. Its apparently very lightweight and flexable. In their test they fired ( I don't remember exact round count but recall it was allot of each caliber) 7.62, 5.56, and 9mm at the vest. All fired at 25 feet. None penetrated. Then to take the test further they placed a fragmentation hand grenade under the vest weighted with a sandbag. No shrapnal from the grenade penetrated the vest. However they made it very clear the concussion would have killed the wearer. According to this test the Dragon skin was far supirior to current US issue. I heard from a milatry source that it was rejected because it was too expencive. If I were in need I would probably choose the Dragon Skin....JC

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Specialized Products & Services
    for the Protection of your World™
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    Body Armor | Facility Armor | Transport Armor In The News | Milestones | FAQ | Technical Papers | About Us | Contact Us | Careers | Links | Home
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif

Dragon Skin® Flexible Body Armor Survivors

dragon-skin-survivors.jpg
    dragon-skin-2.jpg
    At Pinnacle Armor, our Mission is to save lives. We are committed to providing products and services that are unequalled in threat protection, designed and manufactured to perform in life or death situations. Our products consistently establish new benchmarks for protection product certification, and our advanced materials know-how cost-effectively solves our client's immediate and long-term protection needs.
    Our SOV Dragon Skin® technology is no exception. In fact, the technology behind the Dragon Skin is setting unprecedented performance capabilities, while saving the lives of the many men and women who put their lives in harms way every single day to protect us domestically and abroad.
    Our trademark "Protecting The Lives Of Those Who Protect US"® speaks for the time and effort that has gone into the design, fabrication and optimization of a system that is truly designed to provide survivability to the wearer. The incredible saves that this armor system provides, speaks to the testament of the systems capabilities. Substantial multiple repeat hit capability, little to no bruising at all from impacts, close proximity shots, close edge shots, and having the coverage necessary to defeat the threats.
    This section of our web site is dedicated to those men and women who put their lives in harms way every single day to protect us. Those men and women deserve literally the best body armor that technology has to offer. They are often provided with far less. Fortunately, many of the men and women wearing the Dragon Skin® body armor have not been shot. Those who have are listed below with their consent. Those who for deployment and/or operational status wish to remain anonymous, they are listed in the numbers, with limited information.
    Pinnacle Armor wishes each and every one of them the best and may God speed them home safely. We feel proud to have been of service to you.
    Name: Rod Huckabay
    Incident type: IED Ambush - Vehicular
    Employment: Eagle Team; PSD DynCorp International, Iraq
    Details: Survived IED explosion with substantial fragmentation impacts to the upper chest region (within 3/4" from top of armor, full width of the armor) without failure or bruising.
    Name: Jaco S. Botes
    Incident type: IED Ambush - Vehicular
    Employment: Team Black Cobra; PSD DynCorp International, Iraq
    Details: Survived three impacts from 7.62x39mm API. Two rounds in lower back one inch apart and one in the upper portion of back. Did not even bruise from impacts sustained in body armor.

Name: N/A
    Incident type: Patrol Ambush, U.S. Special Operations
    Incident: Afghanistan
    Employment: U.S. Military
    Details: Survived seven impacts from 7.62x54R LPS. All seven rounds contained in approximately 5" impact location within upper front torso.

Name: N/A
    Incident type: Sniper encounter
    Employment: Reconstruction Contractor
    Details: Survived five impacts from 7.62x39 mild steel core. All five rounds impacted the front, sides and rear of the vest while descending from power pole repair work. Did not even bruise from impacts sustained in body armor.
    Each of these Dragon Skin® "Survivors" will receive the letterman jacket (100% wool & 100% leather) as shown embroidered front and rear along with the embroidered cap for their submission of the incident information, photographs of the armor and/or armor submission back to Pinnacle Armor.
    survivor.jpg

survivor-full-front.jpg
    survivor-full-back.jpg
    they-have-all-been.jpg

protected-by-the-dragon.jpg
    [ Sitemap ] Dragon Skin® Flexible Body Armor Survivors
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    Body Armor - Facility Armor - Transport Armor
    In The News - Milestones - FAQ - Technical Papers - About Us - Contact Us - Careers - Links - Home
    Web Site User Agreement and Disclaimer © 1998-2007 Pinnacle Armor. All Rights Reserved.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

The website above does custom fitting for those of you that were looking into this.
    They have all sort of armor types.
    I started lookig into this but sadly i'm not money-wise to the point where I can get this item. There are so many other items that are on te list before this that are a bit more critical. =(

ps.
    Side note it appears that the DRAGON SKIN armor is only for MIL and LEO.
    Based on a quick glance of the website and looking/trying to get a price quote.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My armor setup consists of an Eagle plate carrier with Level IIIA soft inserts and a set of Famostone (compressed polyethylene) Level III hard plates. The poly plates are a little bulky, given their rectangular single-curve shape and 1" thickness, but man are they light (3.3lbs each)!

Armor is for more than just SHTF; many advanced carbine courses require it during shoot house exercises.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Saw this on another forum thought it was funny

"So why is the military so reluctant to issue it to U.S. solders?"

My guess is that acquiring dragon skin is not the most economical route (plus it's also a pain in the ass to skin dragons). I would imagine hunting dragons down for their skins would be pretty hazardous. The military would have better luck just dropping dragons down on their intended target - let the bad guys deal with the dragons instead, and no risk to soldier's lives. Of course, once the bad guys manage to drop a dragon, they'll have easy access to dragon skin which means we're screwed.:dunno:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

My guess is that acquiring dragon skin is not the most economical route (plus it's also a pain in the ass to skin dragons). I would imagine hunting dragons down for their skins would be pretty hazardous. The military would have better luck just dropping dragons down on their intended target - let the bad guys deal with the dragons instead, and no risk to soldier's lives. Of course, once the bad guys manage to drop a dragon, they'll have easy access to dragon skin which means we're screwed.:dunno:

Hmm excellent point :laugh:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

That got me laughing out loud and not much online does :D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a set of used interceptor armor I use when training and for when shtf. Manufactured in 2005, level III but no plates. It came in ACU. Got it for like 60 bucks. If its ok for the military its ok for me.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Mine is just the regular ol' Level 2 from Point Blank. If I need rifle plates, I have them, but I feel the biggest armor is the armor of distance and common sense. Staying away from situations that require armor is king. For those situations one cannot escape from, I always keep it in the trunk.

For all of those considering purchase: Most of the LEOs and other armor wearers will accolade the triumph of wicking shirts underneath. I used to wear the vest under a light jacket on cold days as it traps in so much heat. The "ribbed shirts" I have seen and bought dont seem to work well for me, but any of the Underarmor or cheap knock off shirts work wonders in keeping me dry and cool with the cursed thing on.

Top Bottom