• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You suck and we hate you wins. Take that, FN.

BREAKING: H&K Wins CSASS Competition with G28E - The Firearm Blog

Gewehr28E

rFVwcAz-660x319.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Our boys/girls should have the best but.....12k per rifle?

Taking the contract maximum value and just dividing by the potential maximum number of rifles is does not really give the cost of the rifle. Even aside from the fact that the unit cost will usually include not just the rifle but maybe extra magazines, soft case, hard shipping case, slings, optics, adapters, cleaning tools, technical and operator manuals, and any other bits and bobs thought to be needed.

Aside from the individual units (rifle plus gear), there well be spares, training, perhaps maintenance or repair options - life cycle costs. Also the contract has an option to buy the Technical Data Package. That basically hands over all H&K's proprietary data about the rifle to the USG, and it has to be in a government-specified format. This allows the government to hand the TDP to another manufacturer and say "Build this." This also cuts the original designer/manufacturer out of future profits on the items made by another manufacturer, so they tend to charge as much as they can for the TDP while still winning the contract.

The ceiling on the contract is kind of the "worst case" scenario - it's the price if the Army executed every possible option on the contract. The acquisition guys tend to make this as generous as possible, because once you get approval for that top line number, it's not pleasant to go back later and say, "Um we goofed, we need more."

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    The M110 SASS is not new, I carried one during deployment in 2010/2011. It is, however, an awesome rifle, I plan on building a replica when I come back to the states. My designated marksman team had 2 of these as well as 2 M14 EBR's.

Top Bottom