Ask a guy who had jury duty today anyhing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have never been called up for jury duty. I am torn between the simplicity of getting out of jury duty (do you want your fate to be in the hands of 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty?) or going ahead as a thorn in the side of a probably crooked prosecutor. Jury nullification is probably my plan since I have had my own bad experience with an overzealous prosecutor who did not care a damn bit about guilt, just his record.

Just to note, nothing ever went to trial, everything was dropped two weeks before a trial because there was no case and I would not cave to some plea just so they could still save face. I was a bit too pissed to give the bastards anything so I fought. I was lucky, had money saved back and parents that could help us along until it was over.

No... not bitter here, just would like to get on a jury sometime for someone who might be in the position I was in so I could give a big old finger to a prosecutor...

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I got called two days before a trip to Florida. Man was I ever bummed for that otherwise I don't really have a problem with serving. Luckily I was not called up there since I was in the third group of people to be selected and they picked their 12 before we were called up.

It looked like a pretty cut and dry case since the defendant broke in to his girlfriends house, assaulted her and then stole some items. He was brought up on breaking and entering, assault and burglary but otherwise, a pretty nice guy.... NOT!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I would consider it a Civic Duty to be called for Jury Duty.

Everyone who has uttered the phrase, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six." should be willing to become one of those 12.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I received a notice last year that I could be called up for the last quarter of 2013. I was actually looking forward to it but figured the chances of actually getting called were pretty slim. So I am sitting in Montana on an Elk/Mule deer hunt at the end of October and get the notice to appear for selection. I had to contact the court and email them a copy of my flight itinerary to prove I was where I said I was. They excused me for the rest of the year. Oh well. Maybe next time.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had several friends that have been called up, and a few that have actually been on a jury. I always remind them that as big a pain as it is, its something that should be considered an honor, and something that should be taken seriously. In a way, I am a little bit upset that I have never been called up for jury duty, but then, the likelihood that I would actually make it through the selection process is pretty slim. Depending on the circumstances, I would be either a nightmare for the prosecution, or the defense, and just as desirable for the other side of the argument.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I was called to serve last September (my 3rd summons over 2 years). I went, sat for 4 hours, never was selected, so they sent me home just in time to make it to work. Now I don't have to worry about it until 2016.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I guess I'm a bit odd. I like jury duty. I've sat on four juries, three criminal and one civil. I haven't been called for several years but I'm ready as soon as they call. I am fortunate in that my company pays me the whole time I am serving.
    I had all four "called" very shortly into the trials. One was a felony weapons possession. He admitted know he couldn't have one and admitted he had one when arrested. I didn't understand why he went to trial when he was admitting he was guilty.
    The civil trial was with a car dealer and a customer. Initial thoughts were that the dealership was screwing the lady. After a few minutes of her testimony I knew she was an idiot that had no idea what she was talking about. After the trial we were told she had been offered any new car on their lot instead of the 3 year old "lemon" they sold her. She had been pushing for a big cash settlement. Her husband didn't even want to sit with her or testify about it. He seemed embarrassed about the whole deal.

Where else can you get this kind of entertainment!

Matt

oh, the other two criminal trials were one acquittal and one conviction.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I did a similar thing in Bartholomew Cty. I was out of the office traveling and faxed them proof. Then sure as shootin' come January I got pinged again. Thats fine. I actually had to appear...They asked 'who has a problem with domestic violence'...I was like ummmmm, why isn't EVERYONE raising their hands.

They dismissed me....I left.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have never been called up for jury duty. I am torn between the simplicity of getting out of jury duty (do you want your fate to be in the hands of 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty?) or going ahead as a thorn in the side of a probably crooked prosecutor. Jury nullification is probably my plan since I have had my own bad experience with an overzealous prosecutor who did not care a damn bit about guilt, just his record.

Just to note, nothing ever went to trial, everything was dropped two weeks before a trial because there was no case and I would not cave to some plea just so they could still save face. I was a bit too pissed to give the bastards anything so I fought. I was lucky, had money saved back and parents that could help us along until it was over.

No... not bitter here, just would like to get on a jury sometime for someone who might be in the position I was in so I could give a big old finger to a prosecutor...

Some of us will sit on a jury because it is our civic duty as Americans, :patriot: not out of spite from something someone did in the past. :rolleyes:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've been called several times. The first time, I had to be excused because I was in the middle of having a miscarriage. Doctor sent a note to the clerk's office, and all was good. Every other time, I have gone and sat through jury selection only to have the jury picked before they got to me.

I think it would be interesting to sit on a jury, but there are some that would make me a little nervous to be on.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    called twice (for civil court) and got out twice. "have you worked in the building trades, or a member (or spouse of a member) of a trade union?"

funny thing is the case seemed interesting (couple paid to have their house rehabbed and the contractor screwed up a wall and the 2nd story floor collapsed)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....funny thing is the case seemed interesting (couple paid to have their house rehabbed and the contractor screwed up a wall and the 2nd story floor collapsed)

As a lawyer defending civil cases, this is a constant frustration- playing from behind the whole time. What makes you think the contractor screwed up and caused any of that. You never heard any evidence!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Received 3 summonses (is that the plural for summons? Looks weird.) in the last 12 years. Sat on one jury. Child molestation charge. I never realized how lackadaisical prosecutors can be in their efforts. Three charges and only 2 of them were ever addressed. Guess the prosecutor thought the third was proven by default with the other two.

I enjoy sitting on the jury. I can understand why people don't feel the same, but I can't understand why anybody who values rule of law and the concept of innocent until proven guilty can't approach it with a little less disdain. Might be your jury trial one day.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Jinxing myself, over that last 15 years been in 4 jury pools, never called for a trial. Not to sound hokey, but I believe what the video said about serving as a juror, it is one of the noblest expressions of our form of government.

Top Bottom