• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was just asked to leave the Kroger store on the east side of Bloomington because I was OC'ing. More details to come soon; I'm emailing their corporate office while everything is fresh in my mind. Advice on what to say would be appreciated.

Details:

At approximately 9:00 on Thursday, April 5th, I was open carrying while shopping at the Kroger on College Mall Road in Bloomington Indiana. My girlfriend and I were looking for something to cook for dinner when we were approached by a security guard. He asked me if I was a police officer, I told him "no" and he told me that I wasn't allowed to carry a gun in the store. I asked him why; I told him that I have opened carried at that location many times and I've never had an issue. I thought Kroger sided with the state laws regarding citizens' rights, and I've never seen a no weapons sign at the door. He told me that was just the policy, but he didn't seem very sure of himself. He said you're allowed to carry a weapon if you have your license, but that you can't just carry into a grocery store. He was very unsure of the specifics of state law, as well as the places where you are and aren't allowed to carry a handgun. He told me he was "pretty sure" of the rules, but he could go ask the manager if I would like him to.

The security guard (he was wearing a uniform for a security company, he wasn't in a kroger uniform) returned and told me that the manager said I wasn't allowed to carry and that I needed to take my weapon out to my car. I told him that I would like to speak with his manager, so he went and fetched her. The manager I spoke with was a younger female (maybe 30-something) named Sheila. She told me that I wasn't allowed to carry a weapon in the store. I reiterated my belief that Kroger policy was to side with the state laws on citizens' rights, and asked her to clarify why I was being confronted. She said that the policy is a "very thin line" and that I could have frightened someone with my firearm. I asked her if there had been any complaints about me and she said no. The only reason I was called to her attention was because of the security guard. I told her that I understood if there was a complaint that she would have to decide whether to side with the customer that was scared of the weapon, or the customer that was carrying it, but because there were no complaints and the store policy didn't say "no weapons" that I was confused as to why I was being confronted about this. She said (again) that the policy was a "thin line" and that I should get my things and leave. I assumed by "things" she meant groceries. This confused me, because I was already trying to get my groceries and leave before I was approached. I wasn't just hanging out at the grocery store, I was grocery shopping!

I asked her several times to explain the "very thin line" policy, but she could not elaborate on it. She seemed to imply that the problem was that people could see my sidearm, and that someone might complain about that. I asked her if the real problem was that my sidearm was showing, and she said that it was. I covered it up with my sweatshirt and said "there, problem solved! :) " She didn't seem very amused, and she again told me to get my things and leave as quickly as possible.

After that, I just left. I certainly didn't buy anything there. I went straight home and called customer service. The first customer service representative that I talked to told me that "Kroger policy is to side with state law concerning customers carrying weapons. Internal policies are not discussed outside of the company." I said, "Aha, that's what I thought! So I was entirely in my right to carry my weapon and that manager acted against company policy, right?" The guy that I was speaking with got a little confused, and told me that the policy allowed the store to side with state law, therefore forbidding me to carry a firearm. We went round and round a little bit because he kept contradicting himself. I told him that if the policy was no weapons, then the policy would say "no weapons". It would not say "Kroger policy is to side with state law."

He decided to bump me up to his supervisor, so I re-explained my situation to her and she told me the same thing; "Kroger policy is to side with state law concerning customers carrying weapons". She also said that the "thin line" the manager was referring to could have been the discretion a manager is allowed to use when asking a customer to leave if they are drunk, disruptive, etc. I assured her that I was none of those things, and that there were no customer complaints against me. After another couple minutes of talking with her, she told me that she would forward the situation to the people specifically in charge of the rules for the district that Kroger is in. I made sure she knew that I have been a loyal customer for several years, and that I've never had an issue carrying at this Kroger in the past. I also said that I would prefer to continue shopping there, but if store policy prevents me from exercising my rights then I would be forced to shop somewhere else. I told her that I believed the manager had made a snap judgement that went against the official policy of the store. I felt that I had been wronged by this decision, but I left anyways because I understand and respect her legal ability to ask me to leave. I should be receiving a call within "3-5 business days" from someone higher up the ladder to talk to me about what happened. I stayed calm and polite throughout all the conversations I had this evening: security guard, manager, and both customer service reps.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry about your luck. Several Kroger stories on the forum. I believe their corp policy is to follow state law, but who knows what individual employees will do.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm on hold with their customer service right now. The first guy I talked to said that "Kroger policy is to side with state law concerning customers carrying weapons. Internal policies are not discussed outside of the company." I'm waiting on a supervisor to talk to me so that I may receive a straight answer.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    How about this:

"Dear Kroger,

I was asked this evening to leave one of your stores because I was carrying a gun in plain sight. I realize that I could carry my gun in a concealed fashion, and disturb no one, and not cause any commotion in your store that might cost you a sale, but I have this ego thing that makes me want to be Clint Eastwood and carry my gun so people can see that I'm somebody. If I had to carry it concealed, I couldn't show off and would be nobody.

Thank you for exercising your property owner rights and safeguarding your financial bottom line. I fully agree that there is no reason for me, or anyone, to carry a firearm in open sight in an environment where it may not be appreciated and cost a merchant business. I didn't think. I'll try harder next time."

Tweek that a little and fire it off to Kroger.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i have recently picked up OCing because its easier to take it off when i get to work and strap it back on for lunch or go home time. havent been told to leave anywhere, kroger in avon included.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would return and request to speak with the manager. If it was a manager I would then call regional. I have OC'd in our Kroger without issues.

Simply tell them that state law does not specify type of carry, and the manager should have requested you to cover it or leave if you refuse.

I understand property and individual right arguments, it's their property thus corporate policy dictates their rules and regs.

I really don't understand why they ask people to leave, if we intended harm by OCing would we not then create a scene or worse? The thought process is unbelievable. Yeah, that guy has a gun and no mask...I bet he is up to no good...

Idiots.

Before someone chiimes in with a CC statement, I'd rather be asked to leave than have to cover up somehing I am not ashamed of.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was just asked to leave the Kroger store on the east side of Bloomington because I was OC'ing. More details to come soon; I'm emailing their corporate office while everything is fresh in my mind. Advice on what to say would be appreciated.
    It's Bloomington, I can't say I'm surprised. Was it a manager that asked you to leave?

If you need help drafting a letter, feel free to PM me the particulars and I'll be happy to help. I enjoy writing "I'm pissed off and I'm going to tell you about it politely." types of letters.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd let them know that you legally carry for your own defense, and your sorry they feel well enough off to do without your grocery money. Since you have other options for groceries, but carrying a policeman on your back is not fashionable and a waste of taxpayer money start shopping at Meijer. :popcorn:

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Tomorrow's headlines:

Gunman notices empty pantry and gurgling stomach
    Gunman goes to Kroger, asked to leave
    Gunman picks up phone, patiently waits to discuss with customer service
    Gunman posts on website about experience
    Gunman reads gunman's post, write his own post

Last edited:

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love the private property argument some people use. Following that logic then I could ask someone to leave if say they were wearing a crucifix or a yamaca or had a prayer rug under their arm. After all it is private property and I have the right to refuse right. Why is it you can be sued for violating religious rights or if you deny entry based on color but not when you discriminate for firearms. I disagree with barring anyone. But if you agree that a property due to private property issues can bar a firemarms carrier then you must agree that they can deny a black muslim or white. I agree with none of them. Or if you are Marion Berry you just want them asians to stop invading your black neighborhood.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I OC in Krogers nearly daily without issue. A few months back the local Manager on the S.Side of Indy asked about my 1911 Kimber w/Rosewood USMC Grips. (Pretty IF I do say so myself) and after about 10 minutes of conversation I began to realize his lack of education on Indiana Gun Laws and Carrying openly. He was very surprised to find out the OC laws and rights of gun owners.
    I think a friendly conversation with both sides being able to talk freely might open up some previously closed minds and misconceptions of the laws here. Just a thought.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    How about this:

"Dear Kroger,

I was asked this evening to leave one of your stores because I was carrying a gun in plain sight. I realize that I could carry my gun in a concealed fashion, and disturb no one, and not cause any commotion in your store that might cost you a sale, but I have this ego thing that makes me want to be Clint Eastwood and carry my gun so people can see that I'm somebody. If I had to carry it concealed, I couldn't show off and would be nobody.

Thank you for exercising your property owner rights and safeguarding your financial bottom line. I fully agree that there is no reason for me, or anyone, to carry a firearm in open sight in an environment where it may not be appreciated and cost a merchant business. I didn't think. I'll try harder next time."

Is your purple broken?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Hoosier, I'd rep you; but the forum says I need to go through wealth re-disdribution first (can someone rep him for me?); yes I have used up that much rep on someone who has rep shut off.

If I were writing I'd, explain you were asked to leave, verbatim and by whom. Then explain that you are Licensed by the State of Indiana to carry a firearm, and that you have been verified as a "proper person" by the State. Acknowledge that you had been a loyal customer in the past and showed respect for their wishes and left the store at their request, and in turn out of necessity had to restock your refrigerator at Walmart tonight (you may reference the attached copy of my receipt). You even went so far as to visit their website (Kroger - Home - More value for the way you live.), and search for any public policy in reference to their actions that are drastically more restrictive than the state and federal laws, yet a search returned no such results. However given your past business experience with them you would like to remain a customer of theirs if they are willing to rectify the situation.

Calm, factual, and you're making the effort to give them the opportunity for your business. I may also include, if it is true to your situation, that you are aware of the position the company was placed in a few months ago after the use of a firearm, and chose to shop at Kroger because even under extreme circumstances you have learned about how their employees will do the right thing. Though that is something that needs to be carefully addressed because I don't think anyone will consent to the gun if they think you'll actually need it due to insurance concerns.

And just for my own verification's sake, is this the 1175 S College Mall Rd Kroger in Bloomington? Just so I know next time I'm in town, and stop to pick up some snacks and water/gatorade before a hike in the area parks and forests.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Is your purple broken?

Based on past posts, he really is against anyone who carries differently than he does.

I wouldn't get too worked up, I've never seen him stick around in a thread and attempt to make a reasoned case against carrying openly.

Some men you just can't [STRIKE]reach[/STRIKE] adult. :D

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    How about this:

"Dear Kroger,

There is really so much I'd like to say about this statement and your closed mind way of thinking but I'd probably face the ban hammer and all it's glory in one post...

Top Bottom