• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Just another leak. I was part of the OMB hack years ago...seems like I have credit monitoring forever.

I just keep my file frozen and no issues, thankfully, until I forget to unfreeze it!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    AT&T needs to be hammered for this, even if it was a vendor. Vendor works on behalf of them.

And any penalty $ should be provided back to the people impacted, not just handed to the govt, and not just some BS credit monitoring.

I'm tired of companies not taking the hit they should on this stuff, with only a few exceptions.

I got a notice of this and in it AT&T says no financial data but then a sentence later indicates SSN's are likely part of this...

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Anyone with AT&T get the account login page to load? I've been trying to log in and the sign in page won't load. Their servers are probably getting hammered.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Anyone with AT&T get the account login page to load? I've been trying to log in and the sign in page won't load. Their servers are probably getting hammered.
    I logged right in just now.

They are strangely silent so far, I have received no emails regarding this breach nor are there any alerts on my account page after logging in.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    These days it's best to assume that your identity information is compromised... I received notice from a former employer 15+ years ago that employee HR data had been breeched, received the credit monitoring, etc.

Since then, I've kept a permanent FREEZE on all three credit bureaus making it impossible for anyone, including me, to obtain credit. On the rare event that I am seeking credit, I logon and unfreeze the accounts temporarily, and once approved, re-FREEZE them.

Be sure to use FREEZE, by law the CBs are required to offer it free of charge. The also offer LOCK for a monthly fee, but I can ascertain no additional benefit for the fee service... other than profits for them.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I don't understand why at&t even needs to store someone's SSN.
    Let's face it, our SS numbers are out there in the wild. If not from AT&T, it would be from some other business or agency. Since our data is so compromised and identity theft so rampant, there's only one way to combat it...
    A mark in our right hand or forehead.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Let's face it, our SS numbers are out there in the wild. If not from AT&T, it would be from some other business or agency. Since our data is so compromised and identity theft so rampant, there's only one way to combat it...
    A mark in our right hand or forehead.
    The credit agencies themselves have been hacked. It is out there…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    AT&T needs ti be hammered for this, even if it was a vendor. Vendor works on behalf of them.

And any penalty $ should be provided back to the people impacted, not just handed to the govt, and not just some BS credit monitoring.

I'm tired of companies not taking the hit they should on this stuff, with only a few exceptions.

I got a notice of this and in it AT&T says no financial data but then a sentence later indicates SSN's are likely part of this...
    What hit should they take? If that data can be directly linked to a financial loss by someone, sure they should be held responsible.

If you save information on a website, assume it will be stolen. Period. Not because the site is neglectful, but rather because it is basically impossible to truly protect data from bad actors.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    These days it's best to assume that your identity information is compromised... I received notice from a former employer 15+ years ago that employee HR data had been breeched, received the credit monitoring, etc.

Since then, I've kept a permanent FREEZE on all three credit bureaus making it impossible for anyone, including me, to obtain credit. On the rare event that I am seeking credit, I logon and unfreeze the accounts temporarily, and once approved, re-FREEZE them.

Be sure to use FREEZE, by law the CBs are required to offer it free of charge. The also offer LOCK for a monthly fee, but I can ascertain no additional benefit for the fee service... other than profits for them.
    This is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself. It makes it all but impossible for someone to use your identity to open bogus credit accounts.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What hit should they take? If that data can be directly linked to a financial loss by someone, sure they should be held responsible.

If you save information on a website, assume it will be stolen. Period. Not because the site is neglectful, but rather because it is basically impossible to truly protect data from bad actors.
    I understand this. However, many orgs do not take the proper handling of this data (should be encrypted, encryption keys not stored with data, etc) into account. They also should not put it off on their "vendors" as the vendor should be working under agreement with them, which should have penalties and requirements built in.

I have a good awareness of cyber threats, and because of that see companies that do not handle this data in the ways they should. More often than not, true intrusions are due to poor security measures, unpatched systems or lack of proper handling of admin accounts. There are other cases where nation states, etc are involved, but still often the low hanging fruit and lateral movement is what causes much of these breaches.

Beyond that of course and what these companies do, having an unchanging number that is the key to everyone's financial data is of course an outdated aspect of the govt.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Here are some general things to consider for online security.

Do you use different passwords for different logins? Every login you have should have a different password. Those passwords should be a minimum of 14 characters, the longer the better.
    1711980443424.png

Get a password vault. Don't trust your browser to save your passwords. If you use good passwords, you'll most likely never be able to remember them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I understand this. However, many orgs do not take the proper handling of this data (should be encrypted, encryption keys not stored with data, etc) into account. They also should not put it off on their "vendors" as the vendor should be working under agreement with them, which should have penalties and requirements built in.

I have a good awareness of cyber threats, and because of that see companies that do not handle this data in the ways they should. More often than not, true intrusions are due to poor security measures, unpatched systems or lack of proper handling of admin accounts. There are other cases where nation states, etc are involved, but still often the low hanging fruit and lateral movement is what causes much of these breaches.

Beyond that of course and what these companies do, having an unchanging number that is the key to everyone's financial data is of course an outdated aspect of the govt.
    I can't find where they've said where the data came from. Just that they don't know of any breaches. For a pure exfiltration, they could well never find out how it was extracted.

From what I have seen, the data was encrypted. I saw mention that passcodes and SSNs were decrypted between the data being released previously and being released recently.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    This is one of the reasons I absolutely refuse to give my SS unless there is absolutely no other option. Corporate TIN has worked in most cases, some charged a deposit with no SS.

Vectren charged me $500+ deposit on a foreclosure property that closed well over a decade ago, they finally decided to refund it this past year.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Do you use different passwords for different logins? Every login you have should have a different password. Those passwords should be a minimum of 14 characters, the longer the better.
    View attachment 343922

Get a password vault. Don't trust your browser to save your passwords. If you use good passwords, you'll most likely never be able to remember them.
    And MFA.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville

View attachment 343922

I'm won't be worried about password security in 226 years.

Top Bottom